Sign in to follow this  
DiabloAzul

The Force Awakens [SPOILER WARNING!]

Won't say anything plot-related here.

But, as far as Armada is concerned, there are no new ships of note.

Aside from a couple of freighters and small transports, it's just the TIE/FO, the new X-Wing, the Finalizer (which is not referred to by name), and the Falcon.

Too bad I was hoping there would at least be the traditional Light side small capital ship in the first movie. (The CR-90 in NH, and the Consular in TPM

Aside from a couple of freighters and small transports, it's just the TIE/FO, the new X-Wing, the Finalizer (which is not referred to by name), and the Falcon.

I'm actually happy for this, means we will probably get many waves of the awesome EU ships before we'll see ships from the new movies.

You do get a brief glimpse of some Republic capital ships, just not enough to be able to tell much about them.

I think the engine bits have been shrunk to nil - which is pretty impressive given the speed of the thing :)

Also impressive: Poe Dameron's dogfighting skills.

Don't think there's been anyone as good in any of the other movies

You do get a brief glimpse of some Republic capital ships, just not enough to be able to tell much about them.

I think the engine bits have been shrunk to nil - which is pretty impressive given the speed of the thing :)

Also impressive: Poe Dameron's dogfighting skills.

Don't think there's been anyone as good in any of the other movies

Yeah, he's in a league of his own. Pretty cool.

****... expected a couple of new ship classes... :(

I was hoping for a rebel (resistance ) capital ship to go against the finalizer.

Will we see a finalizer model? my guess is yes.

Hopefully we'll get a Resistance heavy warship, aka something to take on Star Destroyers, in episode VIII but we might not until IX. The ISD came in Episode IV but we didn't get the MC80s until episode VI.

Finally saw it.

First, funny moment happened in my theatre when Kylo ren took his helmet off. Someone shouted in the theatre, "Now put it back on!" and every time Kylo removed his helmet...

And...Ackbar!

This movie... is kind of hard to judge in context with the rest of the saga. Putting it on a ranking from 1-7 is not that easy I mean. I'd say it was a better and more involving film than, actually, A New Hope. Rey's entire journey is awesome. The awakening of the force within her, and Finn's journey from broken coward to hero, is more entertaining and moving then the exposition we're given of the original. A New Hope is a good window on a universe, but Force Awakens is a good window on these two characters. and the beginning of their journey.

One of my friends pointed out this movie works to "undo the damage of the prequels" as it were, by reminding us that This is Star Wars. We're given the trappings of the original three movies and connections to the characters from the beloved original trilogy. And I think in that sense it traded a measure of gravitas for connecting with us nostalgically. But for the start of a new trillogy I think that's perfectly okay. It does more for us than Episode 1 did by serving us with Lightsabers, the J word, and shadowy evil characters to indicate the same.

It was interesting to see Kylo Ren conflicted about the light side! Definitely a change, and setting up for a redemption? arc through the next two episodes. I enjoyed all of the new characters, I'm looking forward to see what happens with Rey especially.

So... I think abrams did it. I need to find another time to go see it, but I definitely like the new star wars. It was off to a bit of a slow start but I think this is the basis on which a great trilogy will be built.

Yep, the capital ship lover in me was extremely disappointed.

I too enjoyed watching Kylo being tempted by the light. Different change of pace.

But he still reminds me of a whiney bitchy Clones Anakin. He's juvenile. Not a bad guy. Maybe he didn't get enough hugs as a kid or something and wants to prove he's a bad man.

I also didn't like the blaster fire force crap. Trained Jedi couldn't do it...to me it feels like JJ wanted and got something. And that didn't feel in place in the universe as is.

I DID love the return to slow lightsaber fighting. Non trained combat looks like non trained combat.

To me, this was on par, but maybe just a hair less good than ANH and even RotS. Yeah, I said it. It wasn't better than the best prequel IMO.

Edited by Stasy

I walked out the cinema feeling a little indifferent about the whole thing. 

I felt throughout the movie that what I was watching was a remake of a new hope, and that left me feeling the movie was at worst disappointing, yes new characters, new bad guys but the same trope was used to tell the story. I want the movie to be grounded in the lore and feel of the original 3 and I did feel that it washed away the mistakes of the prequels.  I think a story covering Kylo Ren's betrayal would have been allot more interesting.

The other thing that got me was the ending,  I think the finding of Luke was almost to easy, the second movie could have been set up for the search for Luke, with Kylo and the first order hot on their heals......

But aside from those gripes at best the movie was allot of fun and told very well and had some really great moments and also some good comedy as well.

we have to 2017 to see where the second movie takes us  

So the Finalizer is a 'Resurgent Class' Star Destoryer and is almost 3000 meters long. Built in secret these Star Destroyers are in massive violation of the peace treaty signed by the Empire Remnant.

The open part in the centre of the hull, that twin layer look is a massive flight deck.

Also the Resistance is a privately funded army created by Leia. Many in the new republic brand her as a fearmonger and warlord.