Sign in to follow this  
Engine25

The Officially Unofficial Force Awakens SPOILER and Discussion Thread. You've Been Warned

Also there's a sequence that looked to me like Poe should well and truly be a PS9.

something I would like to see for fun in a later movie and I know it wont happen would be Wedge showing up in a T65 and showing Poe he still has a lot to learn

X-wing nut which scene was that? The first time Leia and Chewie meet there is one big fuzzy hug?

So many well executed jokes, that really stod out to me, none of that Ep1-3 slapstick humor but the old warm humor between the characters and the absurdity af a Galaxy far far away. Poe flies  like he has 3 force ghosts helping him and Max Von Sydows inspirational voice to boot ;)!

My only real gripe was Snook, CGI eye poop and not interessting at all.

Concerning our game, the Mouse had thrown in surpriceingly little merchandiceing oppertunities. I hope we get Ren's Shuttle, the first order Landers. the Cog Tie and that  Leia tranport thingy.

X-wing nut which scene was that? The first time Leia and Chewie meet there is one big fuzzy hug?

I think he means at the end, back from the death star. That situation would probably have warranted another hug.

My only real gripe was Snook, CGI eye poop and not interessting at all.

I think he is based on a concept for Darth Vader under his helmet, before they went for the pastey egg look in RotJ.

Ahh that time... I kinda get why there was no hug, that scene was all bout Leia and Rae. Everybody is cheering the victory and on the other side of the screen General Leia is comforting Rae, like a real leader not celebrating the victory but mourning the death of those who made it happen. 

I don't know what they based Snook on, Voldemort but man was he a let down!

Edited by Dwing

I don`t like kyle ren. What a weak character. He has been training for so long and "when the force awakens"  he offered little challange for rey at all. This is the only thing in the movie that don`t make sense to me.

I like him. He is well written and well played but he's not the typical supervillain. I just saw him as a boy trained by his uncle. When his adolescence came, he just fell under influence of someone else the way it happens with teenagers... It also seemed that it's kind a challenge for him to be a bad guy.

I think the ren arc was probably the weakest part of the film. He starts out as a kick ass evil dude, who seems to actually get weaker as the film progresses.

He was doing things like stopping laser bolts in mid air, and zooming folk around with the force, yet got his ass handed to him by someone who had never held a light saber before.

Overall pretty happy with the movie, but a couple of misteps too for me.

SPEAK NO ILL OF KYLO! :D

I thought he was bloody amazing. You could say he's the heart of the film - poisoned and overcast by the epicness of his elders, determined to be their equal, balanced on a knife edge between the light and the dark. When he reveals his face, it's not that of a monster but a vulnerable young man. You wanted a badass grim Kylo? Well now you've got him - next epside he is going to go full monster.

As for his scene with Rey, well, mitigating factors abound...

1) Chewie's Chekov's Bowcaster

- We see over and over again how OP that weapon is, and he takes it in the gut, about 20 minutes before having to duel two enemies, and on the back of a ***** of an emotional rollercoaster.

2) Rey is no slouch - she's the real deal. Tough as nails, been using a melee weapon her whole life by the looks of it.

3) the psychic duel - rememeber, Rey had already surprised and bested Kyle that very day - he's a character seething with self-doubt, and fractured by warring allegiences. She's a pure, survival driven individual, who's already shocked and intimidated Kylo - now he must face her. With his entrails hanging out.

Anyway, that's my unnecessary 2pence worth! What a film, the only let down was the yawming cg chasm where the emperor used to be.

I really liked Kylo as a character. I was shocked when he took of the mask precisely because he was not a monster but a young lad. His vulnerability and volitility go hand in hand.

I'll also theorise that the 'emperor' is the projection of a long-dead Sith Lord, or at least one in stasis somewhere.

I'll also theorise that the 'emperor' is the projection of a long-dead Sith Lord, or at least one in stasis somewhere.

Aye, perchance even a certain someone already mentioned in a previous movie... ;)

I am not so certain that the line of the Sith ended with the death of Anakin and the Emperor.

I liked Kylo Ren.  It's all smoke and mirrors at the start - he starts off as your stereotypical overpowered supervillain, but by the end of the film there's so much more to him than that.  Even the First Order officers are questioning his decisions and looking down at him - he's an apprentice, not a master, and a conflicted one at that.  That makes him a much more interesting character, and one who's going to develop as the films go on.

Captain Phasma on the other hand - blink or you'll miss it?  Punked out.  Seriously.  On a similar note, LOL Coruscant.

Maz Kanata was great, Snoke is a wait-and-see I think, as so far we've only seen him as a hologram.

A couple of things I wasn't overly keen on - splitting up Finn and Poe on Jakku.  Could have easily kept them together and had them banter their way through (and built up both a friendship and healthy competition between them) rather than have Poe go AWOL for half the film and make it back without explanation.  The superweapon too was almost an unnecessary cliche - they could have kept the focus on the hunt for Skywalker, and both factions trying to get to him first.  But these are just personal piques more than anything else - overall, yeah, absolutely resounding success.

A couple of things I wasn't overly keen on - splitting up Finn and Poe on Jakku.  Could have easily kept them together and had them banter their way through (and built up both a friendship and healthy competition between them) rather than have Poe go AWOL for half the film and make it back without explanation.

I'm concinved that it was to allow us to say goodbye to a certain other character of the same archetype, who's spot Poe will now be set up to slide into in the next movie. In fact a few minutes into the opening scene, as we get acquainted with Poe Dameron, I got the gut feeling that this was the death bell for the character he will be replacing.

Edited by Cremate

He's a question because for the life of me I couldn't figure it out at midnight last night - who the hell was Poe meeting with at the start of the film on Jakku?

Max von Sydow's character is named as Lor San Tekka in the credits. Not sure he was anyone important besides being a sort of village elderman or chieftain. Could be that he is expanded upon in a potential director's cut or in the future movies.