Sign in to follow this  
ficklegreendice

The T-70 expac, unduely limited? (pilot abilities; not # of integrated)

hey guys,

So, it's been a very exciting time for us. With the spoiling of the beautiful Ghost, Tie/FO, and Imperial Vets. expansions, the future of the game is looking bright indeed :D

that said, I can't understand the design behind the T-70 individual expansion, particularly behind its named pilots and the pricing of Targeting Astromech (why isn't it one? would've been fun on four novices :(). I'll try to explain as best I can.

1.) Red Ace:

red-ace.png

Personally, this guy is the head scratcher of the set. What in the blue blazes merited this mess of an ability?

The Ability

To trigger it you must

• remove a shield token (so, if no shields, no trigger)
  • trigger it only once per round (the first time...each round)
  • assign an evade token after taking damage (after you removed the shield token)

without further investment (r2-d2, r5-p9) this is an ability that'll work 3 times at most--but more reasonably once--and does absolutely nothing unless you're being concentrated on. Even in that instance, it only triggers once which can be significant but seems to run counter to its seemingly intended purpose (anti-concentrated fire, only triggers once)

Lack of ept. Imo, his  PS 6  isn't bad at all (going well over TLTs and crackswarm and matching crackggressors) and it fits the curve of +2 points for +2 PS by transitioning into Poe at 31 points.

But why does he not have an ept? Didn't FFG learn from Arvel? Is his ability actually so powerful that I'm just missing the broken combo?

2.) Ello Poppet Asty

12346336_10153874576267009_7852940338909

Asty is the least confusing of the T-70 pack for me, because all I really have issue with is the "While you are not stressed" clause

it confuses me because it does not actually stop chain trolling (winkwink), it just shuts you off after these specific scenarios:

• Asty 4ks
  • Asty lands on a debris (not asteroid)
  • Asty gets targeted by external stress (most popularly r3-a2, tactician, and now maybe flechette defenders)

I can't say I get it. Did he need these limitations? Do we have to have these options in order to counterplay him?

Granted, white t-rolls seem ripe for abuse (or for aboost, eh?), especially at PS 9, but I cannot envision a scenario in which it would be broken without the stress restriction

I honestly do not understand the design behind the two new T-70 pilots, and I was hoping someone who understands them better could explain them to me

And R3-A2 isn't in every list. Neither are all the other stress inducing options like Tactician, Rebel Captive, Flechette, etc. Yes all those things can shut down his shenanigans but seeing as those items are still going to be present a minority of the time many opponents are going to be saying Hello Nasty.

I love it. Talon Roll after Talon Roll in a dogfight is sweet!

I get the appeal of Asty, I'm just very confused as to why it's limited when it doesn't shut off consecutive T-rolls without outside interference (and 4ks)

Asty versus TLT Y:

A                                A

-------------                   --------------
|                |                  |                |
Y------------------------------------------------------>Y
|                |                  |                |
                ---------------                 ------------>

A                                 A                                A

Edited by ficklegreendice

The T-roll is an amazing maneuver.  Being able to do back to back T-rolls with actions is going to be the death of many an Interceptor and Phantom.  One the action starts, Ello is pretty much going to do nothing but T-rolls.

Like a(n old)defender, but worse.

If you think the T-roll is "worse" than the K-turn, I invite you to play with the T-70 a bit more.  It is less predictable, can put you in a position to fire (and not be fired upon) and is much harder to block.  Having an action after doing this maneuver is just sick!  The idea of T-rolling and then boosting to get into R1 and avoid being shot back at causes me to do a happy dance.

tumblr_mva5njkp0Y1rybv0uo5_400.gif

Red Ace with Comms Relay is really looking forward to flying with Jan Ors crew around. The Attack Shuttle makes a nice ride for her.

Why would you want Jan Ors? He gets an evade with his ability, and if he is getting an evade from Jan Ors, then his ability is useless, as you can't have multiple evades with Comm Relay..

I'm just very confused as to why it's limited when it doesn't shut off consecutive T-rolls without outside interference (and 4ks)

I'm not sure I follow what you mean. How is it limited? Because what it does is allow him to turn a single red maneuver into a white one.

I guess the limit is, that if he's already stressed he can't do it. I'm not sure I see the logic there either, but there may be some combo we don't know about that's behind that.

Dude, Red Ace is amazing. R2-D2, Comm Relay, and IA and he's a tank. I've played against him and he's hard to destroy.

Now give him a defensive EPT too, you really can't see how that could be an issue?

what defensive ept? elusiveness?

Best he could do is LW, which is a solid but very situational upgrade

The T-roll is an amazing maneuver.  Being able to do back to back T-rolls with actions is going to be the death of many an Interceptor and Phantom.  One the action starts, Ello is pretty much going to do nothing but T-rolls.

If you think the T-roll is "worse" than the K-turn, I invite you to play with the T-70 a bit more.  It is less predictable, can put you in a position to fire (and not be fired upon) and is much harder to block.  Having an action after doing this maneuver is just sick!  The idea of T-rolling and then boosting to get into R1 and avoid being shot back at causes me to do a happy dance.

So Poeses supposes the T-rolls he knowses

aren't as great as his friend's, Asty?

Edited by ficklegreendice

Dude, Red Ace is amazing. R2-D2, Comm Relay, and IA and he's a tank. I've played against him and he's hard to destroy.

Now give him a defensive EPT too, you really can't see how that could be an issue?

what defensive ept? elusiveness?

Best he could do is LW, which is a solid but very situational upgrade

So Poeses supposes the T-rolls he knowses

aren't as great as his friend's, Asty?

YH4siLA.jpg

Poe and Ello are going to be best friends.  Good luck getting out of their firing arch!

Red Ace with Comms Relay is really looking forward to flying with Jan Ors crew around. The Attack Shuttle makes a nice ride for her.

Why would you want Jan Ors? He gets an evade with his ability, and if he is getting an evade from Jan Ors, then his ability is useless, as you can't have multiple evades with Comm Relay..

Round one, Red Ace focuses and banks an evade. Unless it's something like a TLT shooting at him that evade will be spent before he loses a shield. In later rounds if he doesn't have an evade in the bank, Jan helps him stock up. Unlike other T-70s, Comms Relay can keep getting refilled after the ship with Jan gets destroyed.  

Edited by WWHSD

I meant worse for the opponent. Probably should have clarified.

Because not everything needs an EPT or the ability to regen and perform 5 free actions at PS 7+. Not everything needs to be overpowered bull, we don't need yet another Acewing ship equipped with the same 4 auto include power upgrades every game.

Last thing this games needs is an ace immune to weaponized stress with its white Talon Roll. The stressbot is one of the few things generic ships have going for them in the current meta.

Edited by ParaGoomba Slayer

Round one, Red Ace focuses and banks an evade. Unless it's something like a TLT shooting at him that evade will be spent before he loses a shield. In later rounds if he doesn't have an evade in the bank, Jan helps him stock up. Unlike other T-70s, Comms Relay can keep getting refilled after the ship with Jan gets destroyed.  

Alternatively: just clip an asteroid on the initial approach. It's only a 50% chance of getting the evade token, but it's 100% funnier.

Alternatively: just clip an asteroid on the initial approach. It's only a 50% chance of getting the evade token, but it's 100% funnier.

Yep. My Red Ace deployment will hinge on him hitting every asteroid possible until he takes that first point of shield damage, unless enemies are coming into range.