Sign in to follow this  
Vykk Draygo

Return to Hoth and associated expansions now shipping

The arrived yesterday in Switzerland, I'll be getting mine tomorrow!

Post photos of all the cool stuff for everyone to see!! Particularly interested in class cards for both Imperial deck and new rebel heroes!

Wow Verena has some awesome class cards. Also Star Wolf quote, though i'm sure thats coincidence.

EDIT: Also Scout's Guidance is AMAZING. 2 strain for a permanent (until the end of the mission of course) anti-surge. It makes me wonder if that was intentional and if we'll see an erata that you're meant to remove the recon token.

EDIT EDIT: Ok, I've finally finished reading the spoilers (thank you for them) and have calmed down from initial hype and thought it over.

First off the imperial class cards.

Armored Onslaught: Yay. Precision Training: Eh

Explosive Munitions is pretty strong. It can make any imperial unit into a heavy hitter and as an added bonus a guaranteed blast 1. While blast 1 is weak against 4 units with 10-20 health, if the heroes ignore that every round its going to add up quickly.

Armor Corps is a mixed bag. With a new trooper type in every expansion, theres bound to be no shortage of troopers you'll be deploying, however bunching around a non-vehicle is a risky proposition. So far are heavy weapons are e-webs... so the heroes could easily use your own figures to block line of sight for the turret. For droids we also have probe droids and HK droids (and IG-88). Now probe droids are durable enough to take a few hits and be on the front lines. HKs however are meant to be snipers... typically not where your troopers are. The best scenario would be using this with an AT-ST. The AT-ST has great armor/HP so the heroes are detracted from wasting attacks on it, and your troopers won't block its line of sight. However this skill gets so much worse depending on how much blast the heroes have.

Automated Repairs: Simply awesome. Makes so many units even tankier. Always spend your first action to attack (unless you can't of course) and if you don't get that surge, just use your 2nd action to recover 1. I can count many times I've had a probe droid/AT-ST live by 1 HP.

Explosive Entry: Very weak. Usually the spawn points aren't right in the way of objectives... and even if you hit the heroes with it, they'll just avoid standing in that space a second time. Great lore though.

Heavy Firepower: Great card. Doesn't need much explanation.

Mortar (or as I am going to call it, Frag Grenade): Another strong card. Really makes the heroes not want to bunch up and ANYONE (not an attachment) can use this.

Reactive Armor: Again, another strong card. Makes typically 'dead' rolls (a single anti-surge) into an awesome roll. And if you want to use HKs, this'll make them much more survivable.

Power to Shields: Amazing card. Some heroes heavily favor pierce over +damage... mainly because the Empire player's units use mostly black dice to defend. Being able to negate pierce is great. Being able to negate blast or cleave to save a group of stormtroopers is great. Being able to prevent your important villian from getting stunned/weakened is great. And THEN you can refresh it for a measly 1 threat. This card is outright broken. Just don't get too crazy with it or you'll have no threat left to deploy.

Rapid Domiance: So much weaker compared to Power to Shields. For a 4 xp card it sure has some steep costs just to use the dang thing. 2 threat for an extra action on only certain units is huge cost. Or you could spend even MORE threat and toss the card (for the rest of the mission) just to give that unit another turn. Unless its an e-web (or the new tank), all this is really giving that unit is an extra attack and move. This card might be one of the worst 4 xp cards the imperial player can get.

Strike Force: Not the worst starter card for the imperial player. But not the best. Atleast it doesn't exhaust so you can put it on groups with multiple units. But it doesn't really add anything since its still all chance.

Pinpoint Accuracy: Weak. Thats only 1 attack that didn't miss in an entire mission.

Sharpshooters: Weak. 1 accuracy doesn't make much difference. Usually the imperial units have no shortage of that.

Knowledge of Attack: Finally a good card. Surges usually translate into dead units. This can prevent that every turn.

Versatile Attack: Simply amazing. I'd use this card EVERY turn. Not only is it an extra die, but also 3 extra surges... and it's NOT an attachment.

Exacting Strike: Powerful, but costly.. so meh. Also risky since YOU might roll a bad attack yourself.

Assassins: Another weak one. Relies too much on certain scenarios and again nothing is guaranteed with that reroll. I think its more common for rebels to be shooting around corners than my figures blocking line of sight.

Find the Weakness: Ridiculously strong. This is +1damage per attack pretty much.

Single Minded: Very limited. But powerful. You'll be shoehorning yourself into using only the same units over and over... but if you don't mind that, then this card is amazing. Basically if you prefer a diverse cast throughout your campaign, take Find the Weakness. If you want to use the same guys (stormies, elite probe droids, AT-ST, etc.) then pick this up. Heck, with some of the other cards being so weak you'll probably pick up both of these 4 xp cards anyways.

Now for the agendas.

Both are eh. But atleast there aren't any agenda side missions.

Exposed to the Elements: Weak. Even if they manage to fail getting a single surge on a 'Test your Might' roll, they can just spend a rest action to mostly negate it and recover from extra strain/health in the process.

Unchained: Pathetically weak. Our only 2 creatures are Nexu and Wampa, one being limited to a certain climate and both not even usable in every mission (some missions don't allow 'mercs' or creatures'. I don't see either having trouble reaching their targets and getting an attack in the same turn... and 1 damage is pitiful.

Beastial Fury: The only reason you should consider taking this agenda set. For 1 influence you can get in a surprise attack and also with huge benefits as an extra. You could easily defeat an already hurt hero with this.

Enhanced Armor: (Assuming this is 1 influence) An OK card. One of those cards you take for the finale when you just want to spend all your influence anyways.

Personal Shield Generator: Great card. For the Empire this is almost a guaranteed evade. The catch? You have to use it before any dice are rolled so you could blow it prematurely.

Counter strike: Weak. Just to use it (once) costs 2 influence. And although it gives good defense... thats about it. You're still bound to take atleast 1 damage and even if you don't 3 damage for 2 influence is a terrible trade.

I'll let Norgarth handle the heroes... but in short I'd say:

MHD-19: Ok

Verena: Great

Loku: SCOUT'S GUIDANCE

Edited by patrickmahan

I'm excited about the 4 player skirmishes.  How many 4 player maps do you see?

The rules only state 1 (which is the norm for all the expansions any size). Just two different modes.

Maybe they'll squeeze on into one of those ally/villain packs.

I'm excited about the 4 player skirmishes.  How many 4 player maps do you see?

There is only one map for 4 player skirmishes, and two modes :

apkkWRP.jpg

And the two cards :

xAbdzTM.jpg

Edited by Scabiosus

So am I reading this right?  In team mode your partner's troops are considered friendly, so command card effects and skirmish upgrades and the like could be applied to your partner's troops as well?  There are no restrictions on playing the same unique character as your partner either, so we could see games with four vaders, or 8 wookiee warriors buffed by wild fury for the whole round?

So am I reading this right?  In team mode your partner's troops are considered friendly, so command card effects and skirmish upgrades and the like could be applied to your partner's troops as well?  There are no restrictions on playing the same unique character as your partner either, so we could see games with four vaders, or 8 wookiee warriors buffed by wild fury for the whole round?

Seems like that. It was the main point I was looking for reading the rules but theres nothing about it.

Also wondering why the Weapons Cache doesnt get discarded after use... to make the heroes gain some credits at the end!?

Edited by Kentares

Venera is the definite star here. She is both strong and unique. Melee/ranged hybrid is pretty cool.

I wasn't sold on Loku in the preview, but I believe he has enough pieces to be really strong with the right build. If the Hoth campaign has several wide open missions, he will be strong as he gets an insane amount of accuracy. He lacks a strong extra attack 4 xp like No Escape but Overwatch is close and only costs 2.

The Droid looks strong but not very interesting to play.

Overall, the new items are disappointing. As with twin shadows, we got more of what don't need, and few holes filled. For example, a strong tier 1 melee weapon that costs around 500, we now have 4 cheap ones that are no better than starter w/ mod. Cybernetic arm is pretty cool tho.

I like Precision Training, although it doesn't really play into the strengths of any traits. Armored Onslaught is pretty meh, it kind of is all over the place and lacks synergies.

Edited by Deadwolf

Venera is the definite star here. She is both strong and unique. Melee/ranged hybrid is pretty cool.

I wasn't sold on Loku in the preview, but I believe he has enough pieces to be really strong with the right build. If the Hoth campaign has several wide open missions, he will be strong as he gets an insane amount of accuracy. He lacks a strong extra attack 4 xp like No Escape but Overwatch is close and only costs 2.

The Droid looks strong but not very interesting to play.

Overall, the new items are disappointing. As with twin shadows, we got more of what don't need, and few holes filled. For example, a strong tier 1 melee weapon that costs around 500, we now have 4 cheap ones that are no better than starter w/ mod. Cybernetic arm is pretty cool tho.

I like Precision Training, although it doesn't really play into the strengths of any traits. Armored Onslaught is pretty meh, it kind of is all over the place and lacks synergies.

What we need is another tier 3 melee weapon. Period.