Sign in to follow this  
Sentinal

Tractor Beams vs Ghost/Decimator

at least 1/3rd the card is obscured by the character bombers

so, we don't know

as for the question, myes there's nothing about the cannon needing to hit or affect the ship to trigger the primary. There's no reason to waste your time with the tractor beam attack, currently, but we'll know for sure later

How will TBs work against 0 agility ships?

You hit the ship, it gets a tractor beam token, and the tractor beam token does nothing because you can't go below 0 agility. 

Can Tie/Ds still use their second primary attack if there TB equipped ship hits a ship already at 0, like the Ghost?

Yes. You can still attack a 0 agility ship with a Tractor Beam, the token just won't have an effect. 

You hit the ship, it gets a tractor beam token, and the tractor beam token does nothing because you can't go below 0 agility. 

Can Tie/Ds still use their second primary attack if there TB equipped ship hits a ship already at 0, like the Ghost?

Yes. You can still attack a 0 agility ship with a Tractor Beam, the token just won't have an effect. 

Unless the latter half of the rules reference card, which is obscured, speaks on this subject.

I wouldn't count on it doing much more than what we know though. This will likely be a major reason tractor beam wont be seen much competitively, especially if both the Ghost and Decimator hold spots as competitive ship options. Outmaneuver suffers from a similar issue.

It's a good thing Han, Luke, Chewie, and Obi-wan were in a Millennium Falcon and not the Ghost. Or else the Death Star would never have been able to pull them aboard and Leia would still be a prisoner.

at least 1/3rd the card is obscured by the character bombers

Hopefully it's something against foes that are SUPPOSED to be victims of tractor beams in the first place.

the "I have 3 agility and a ton of tokens to bear" type of ships.

ironically, if the card has nothing else, they are the ones who DON'T fear it

Lingula, on 15 Dec 2015 - 01:10 AM, said:

Tokyogriz, on 15 Dec 2015 - 01:00 AM, said:

Tractor beam nerfs YT 1300 C-3PO.

"Counters" would be a more appropriate word. Assuming it is true.

Well you could add stealth device to YT 1300 with C-3PO.  LoL and add Lando as well or recon spec.  Would be pretty funny.  Until you get hit.

what about decimator\ghost at range 3?

an extra die on defense roll is not equal to extra agility on range 3

Most likely capped at "no less than 0 agility" like wedge, outmanevuer and so on

Well, for the Tractor Beam attack itself... nothing since it's a secondary weapon. As Warpman explains, Range 3 isn't increasing your agility but rather "rolling an additional Evade die." This is not an agility value that can be lowered -- simply an extra Evade die.

Now, Commander Kenkirk is an exception. After shields are down for Kenkirk, his ability reads "increase your agility value by 1." So, Kenkirk with a Tractor Beam at Range 3, as far as we know now, will still only roll 1 die. Unless Tractor Beam Tokens work similarly to Ion Tokens for Large ships; that is, requiring two tokens to produce any effect.

Most likely capped at "no less than 0 agility" like wedge, outmanevuer and so on

Well, for the Tractor Beam attack itself... nothing since it's a secondary weapon. As Warpman explains, Range 3 isn't increasing your agility but rather "rolling an additional Evade die." This is not an agility value that can be lowered -- simply an extra Evade die.

Although you can't ever reduce a ships agility below zero in this game, I believe you still run the full calculation on a case by case basis, applying all effects and then if the end result is a negative it then becomes zero. I would absolutely believe that a zero agility ship at range 3 from the attacker that has a TB token would roll zero agility dice instead of 1. As long as I understand the rules correctly. Edited by Galactic Funk

Although you can't ever reduce a ships agility below zero in this game, I believe you still run the full calculation on a case by case basis, applying all effects and then if the end result is a negative it then becomes zero. I would absolutely believe that a zero agility ship at range 3 from the attacker that has a TB token would roll zero agility dice instead of 1. As long as I understand the rules correctly.

From the rulebook (page 11):

"The defender rolls a number of defense dice equal to the ship's agility value (the green number shown on its Ship card and ship token).

The defender resolves any card abilities that allow him to roll additional (or fewer) dice. Also, if he is targeted at Range 3 by the attacker's primary weapon, he rolls 1 additional defense die."

So, the big thing here is that agility value refers to the green number on the card or any associated upgrades that might increase it (like Stealth Device or Kenkirk's ability). Range 3, however, is simply an additional die which is not included in your agility value.

Edited by ArdusKaine

Although you can't ever reduce a ships agility below zero in this game, I believe you still run the full calculation on a case by case basis, applying all effects and then if the end result is a negative it then becomes zero. I would absolutely believe that a zero agility ship at range 3 from the attacker that has a TB token would roll zero agility dice instead of 1. As long as I understand the rules correctly.

From the rulebook (page 11):

"The defender rolls a number of defense dice equal to the ship's agility value (the green number shown on its Ship card and ship token).

The defender resolves any card abilities that allow him to roll additional (or fewer) dice. Also, if he is targeted at Range 3 by the attacker's primary weapon, he rolls 1 additional defense die."

So, the big thing here is that agility value refers to the green number on the card or any associated upgrades that might increase it (like Stealth Device or Kenkirk's ability). Range 3, however, is simply an additional die which is not included in your agility value.

This is curious to me. There used to be something specific to this in the FAQ but it looks like it's gone now. Was this changed or addressed differently in the rule book?

Also, how do you roll a number of defense dice (say 3 for example) and then I resolve card abilities maintaining the order listed above, and now roll 1 fewer die? That doesn't make sense in the phrasing. You can't physically roll 3 defense dice and later roll fewer defense dice during the same sequence.

There's probably something I'm missing here, and to be clear I'm not saying you are wrong, I'm just pointing out what I believe could be a rules change I was not aware of.

why would you bother with the tb?

Because you've still shot, and therefore still (presumably) hit. Which means you can trigger 'if you hit' abilities like Ruthlessness.

Presumably you've just wrenched a bit off the ship with the tractor beam and hit someone else with it.

Yup, had this thought, too. Maybe there's a highly agile ace next to a Decimator. Shoot the Decimator with TB, Then Ruthlessness triggers and damages the other ship.

The phrasing is a bit strange I admit -- those two things happen simultaneously. For example, Stealth Device is activating at the same time. As would Outmaneuver.

Right, you have to resolve them simultaneously to get to the correct number of dice prior to rolling. That process has to include everything including additional dice from range or obstacles as well as effects such as Outmaneuver. I don't see why Tractor Beam would work outside of that same window when you apply all effects simultaneously.

To be more specific about the FAQ entry, I think it was listed under Wedge at one point but there is no Wedge card shown at all anymore. Also, I don't have them handy but is that out of the old or new rule book?