Sign in to follow this  
rabid1903

Integrated Astromech in Rebel Veterans

I wish it were X- and Y-wing, instead.

And include a BTL-S3 title to add a crew slot.

Named Y-wing pilot Ekelarc Yong, to go with droid R5-P9.

Named X-wing pilot Grizz Frix and his droid R2-T7.

Other droid possibilities: R2-Q2 (Biggs), R2-A3 (Wedge), R2-D6 (Wedge in Y-wing), R4-G7 (Hobbie).

Davish Krail, unique Y-wing pilot from Yavin.

Puck Naeco, unique X-wing pilot from Endor.

Astromech and crew in one ship opens some broken combinations. When adding a crew slot, the the title should simultaneously remove the astromech slot

That broken-ness argument may be true, but the Y-wing still should have a crew slot.

If they cannot make it happen, they did it wrong, basically.

Considering the E-wing has a comparable dial since 4 red turns really drags the Defender down.. and while the Defender has cannon slot and 1 more hull, the E-wing has the very valuable system slot and Astromechs...

I think the Knave Squadron Pilot and Delta Squadron pilot should both cost 25 points.

Compared to the solid stats of a T-70 and the great dial of  a TIE/fo, it feels about there.

Mathwing isn't a foolproof metric though.

T-70 should technically be cheaper too, for it's dial and statline. baseline around... 22 points? Yeah, thats about right, considering T-65s should be about 19-20 base.

I think the T-70 is fine where it is, maybe it's just the B-wings that are under costed!

The T-70 may lack the sharp 1 turns that the Interceptors, and Kihraxz have, but it can do Segnor's loop, and there are several upgrades that make that red maneuver grant a benefit, or not be worse than others. It is easily twice as durable as an Interceptor, has some nice upgrade options like the Kihraxz.

The fact that it has a generic with an EPT makes it as nice as the Interceptors that have the 22 point generics that get can contribute in a meaningful way.

Probably what drags it down, people are afraid to run anything other than the shield regenerating Astromechs, and those things are pricey.

But it depends on what you measure it by. Compared to a T-65, you get a lot for 3 points. If you want to run things naked, 24 points may seem to not offer as much over a 22 point B-wing. If you are the type to pour 40 points into POE Dameron, it may seem a little pricey.

Edited by Vulf

Considering the E-wing has a comparable dial since 4 red turns really drags the Defender down.. and while the Defender has cannon slot and 1 more hull, the E-wing has the very valuable system slot and Astromechs...

I think the Knave Squadron Pilot and Delta Squadron pilot should both cost 25 points.

Compared to the solid stats of a T-70 and the great dial of a TIE/fo, it feels about there.

T-70 should technically be cheaper too, for it's dial and statline. baseline around... 22 points? Yeah, thats about right, considering T-65s should be about 19-20 base.

I think the T-70 is fine where it is, maybe it's just the B-wings that are under costed!

The T-70 may lack the sharp 1 turns that the Interceptors, and Kihraxz have, but it can do Segnor's loop, and there are several upgrades that make that red maneuver grant a benefit, or not be worse than others. It is easily twice as durable as an Interceptor, has some nice upgrade options like the Kihraxz.

The fact that it has a generic with an EPT makes it as nice as the Interceptors that have the 22 point generics that get can contribute in a meaningful way.

Probably what drags it down, people are afraid to run anything other than the shield regenerating Astromechs, and those things are pricey.

But it depends on what you measure it by. Compared to a T-65, you get a lot for 3 points. If you want to run things naked, 24 points may seem to not offer as much over a 22 point B-wing that has 2 more shields, and barrel roll instead of boost. If you are the type to pour 40 points into POE Dameron, it may seem a little pricey.

To make a T-70 worthwhile, you have to give it the stuff a B-wing can't equip, namely a 1 or 2 point Astromech and IA. You miss out on the 5 ship builds unless you want to include a pair of cheap A-wings instead of a 4th T-70.

Isnt it the T Roll not the Sloop? Edited by Spaceman91

X-Wings have enough pilots, between the Core set, the X-Wing Expansion and the Rebel Transport expansion, so I don't think we really need more. Y-Wings and E-Wings could both use more pilots, though. So here's what I'd like to see for a Rebel Veterans set:

- Alternate paint E-Wing

- Alternate paint Y-Wing

- New pilots for E-Wing and Y-Wing

- BTL-A4 title

- Bomb Loadout

- New title or modification for E-Wing

- Integrated Astromech

- New title for T-65 X-Wing (have it say "X-Wing only. May not be used on T-70 X-Wing", or something along those lines).

- New astromechs

But that's just me.

Rebel Tactics: EPT, Rebel Alliance Only (note that this excludes Resistance)

When an ally attacks or defends, you may take a stress. If you do, that ally may turn all Focus results into hits or evades.

Combined with a Rogue Squadron Pilot (PS5, EPT) at 24 points, R2 Astromech, and IA, you can run 4 Xwings that get focus on pretty much everything

Really, though, it's a tough thing to figure out. They have to accomplish all of the following:

1) Increase cost/return ratio to compare with other ships

2) Improve generics AND aces, WITHOUT making Wedge and Wes bonkers. (Or Corran, which makes me think it won't be an Astromech)

3) Avoid making ships in a similar cost bracket obsolete, like the B-wing and the T-70.

Lots if things to consider. Which is why I absolutely think that the iterative approach is the best way to go it. A few different upgrade cards introduced over time that will improve it incrementally to find its new place in the meta.

One thing I am nearly certain we won't see is a cost reduction. More likely are free or cheap upgrades with big bonuses. Just my opinion, though.

Compared to the solid stats of a T-70 and the great dial of  a TIE/fo, it feels about there.

But it depends on what you measure it by. Compared to a T-65, you get a lot for 3 points. If you want to run things naked, 24 points may seem to not offer as much over a 22 point B-wing. If you are the type to pour 40 points into POE Dameron, it may seem a little pricey.

There's a reason people only put shield regen astros on T-70s and E-Wings and such.

Because they are too expensive for their statline. Think about it this way. If your T-70 gets smoked early because it cant regen, you've just fed a third of your lists for no gain. Rebel lists get better the longer they can survive into the late game. You can't NOT put a regen mech on Poe because he's 31 points! You have to protect your investment hoping that putting him in your list will pay off late game. Otherwise, you're just throwing points to the enemy for free almost.

I wonder how Poe's orange and black craft will fit into all of this.

Must be some kind of "Aces" style re-print, no? I suppose they could have another product in mind to include that repaint in, other than the "Rebel Veterans" assumed product.

There's a reason people only put shield regen astros on T-70s and E-Wings and such.

Because they are too expensive for their statline. Think about it this way. If your T-70 gets smoked early because it cant regen, you've just fed a third of your lists for no gain. Rebel lists get better the longer they can survive into the late game. You can't NOT put a regen mech on Poe because he's 31 points! You have to protect your investment hoping that putting him in your list will pay off late game. Otherwise, you're just throwing points to the enemy for free almost.

A non regen astro could help the generics (it wouldn't aid the aces)

The Ewing has a lore justification to limit it's fix to peope who take "astromechs named R7" (R7 generics, R7T1, and any new R7s that come with the title) or even "Astromechs not named R2, R3, R4 or R5" if we wanted Targetting Astro- A limitation that rather nicely takes Corrans legs out from under him. Fixing the Ewing around corran isnt really going to be an issue, because of that.

The Xwing meanwhile, is ALMOST where it needs to be, jousting wise, it just needs ways to make cheap astromechs worthwhile. An ability to take stress to buff an ally is my favorite, which makes the generic R2 astromech more powerful, but something with a drawback that flips damage cards face up in the end step (where R5 generic can flip it back face down) could also work.

When an ally attacks or defends, you may take a stress. If you do, that ally may turn all Focus results into hits or evades.

Combined with a Rogue Squadron Pilot (PS5, EPT) at 24 points, R2 Astromech, and IA, you can run 4 Xwings that get focus on pretty much everything

I will answer the exact same thing i answered in the last thread to this:

I guess that would be a great talent to have, but it actually does less for X-Wings than it does for most other rebel ships.

You would probably slap this on an A-Wing that can clear stress easily, or even better on Tycho, who gives a **** about it... Other candidates would be Keyan Farlander, Ibtisam or Ezra Bridger (with Kanan Jarrus possibly), who all benefit from being stressed in some way.

The ships that would benefit most from getting the focus would be ones with good attacks and good defense. To be honest the E-wing would benefit from it a lot. 3 Attack, 3 Defense equals more Foci thrown.

But then do we really want to see a Corran flying alongside a Tycho that just takes stress after stress and doesn't care to basically make Corran sort of an invincible bulwark? :wacko:

I think that the humble X-Wing is actually one of the poorer choices to run this on, with exception of Biggs for defense and Wedge for offense.

At the Moment, factions are rather balanced, and this would really make a few Rebel combos extremely OP. And not even help the rebel ships that do need it more than any others!

Edit, You could perhaps make this work if you limit it to a range, to certain ships, and reformulate it a bit!

Edited by ForceM

The Ewing has a lore justification to limit it's fix to peope who take "astromechs named R7" (R7 generics, R7T1, and any new R7s that come with the title) or even "Astromechs not named R2, R3, R4 or R5" if we wanted Targetting Astro- A limitation that rather nicely takes Corrans legs out from under him. Fixing the Ewing around corran isnt really going to be an issue, because of that.

The Xwing meanwhile, is ALMOST where it needs to be, jousting wise, it just needs ways to make cheap astromechs worthwhile. An ability to take stress to buff an ally is my favorite, which makes the generic R2 astromech more powerful, but something with a drawback that flips damage cards face up in the end step (where R5 generic can flip it back face down) could also work.

Really, the astromech is not where the fix should be. because It's just unneccesarily complicated to balance all existing and future ships that can take it around such an astromech.

And i repeat myself: If you made an astromech as an intended fix, you would need to make it extremely good and cheap. Which makes other Astros obsolete. And that is just not a good idea.

They should go on making astros, but not no-brainer ones that improve 90% of the astromech-capable ships. But this would exactly be what is needed to make generic E-Wings and the T-65 playable.

I agree that the T-65 needs just another little something. But then why not just give it a title, which is how they fixed pretty much every other ship in trouble. And it is way easier to balance, which is why FFG probably goes that route in most cases!

Just one possibility would go in the way of enabling multiple Modifications, or give a discount at them. (This is how they improved the Interceptor). After all it was the most widely used, repaired Rebel ship and i imagine their mechanics bodging a lot of nice stuff onto X-Wings as a consequence...

Or you do a title that gives it a tech slot, along with a small discount on tech an an interesting new tech upgrade for X-Wings only. (That is how they fixed the Advanced, just that it got a systems slot plus upgrade with a substantial discount of course)

This would just be a much safer and more efficient way of handng out targeted buffs to a certain group of ships that need them only...

While true for a Rebel Only EPT, making it a "Rogue Squadron" Title effect should give the effect I want, though it makes it unreasonable to have an EPT PS5 "Rogue squadron pilot"

You know, why then not make it X-Wing only?

As a big part of the Rebel X.Wing Pilots we already have were actually part of Rogue squadron.

Wedge, Porkins, Wes Janson, etc were Rogue squadron pilots. then why just give it to the generic PS5 ones?

The problem with it would be that you probably don't want other Rebel ship types to have it...

X-Wings have enough pilots, between the Core set, the X-Wing Expansion and the Rebel Transport expansion, so I don't think we really need more. Y-Wings and E-Wings could both use more pilots, though. So here's what I'd like to see for a Rebel Veterans set:

- Alternate paint E-Wing

- Alternate paint Y-Wing

- New pilots for E-Wing and Y-Wing

- BTL-A4 title

- Bomb Loadout

- New title or modification for E-Wing

- Integrated Astromech

- New title for T-65 X-Wing (have it say "X-Wing only. May not be used on T-70 X-Wing", or something along those lines).

- New astromechs

But that's just me.

I mean, i run 4 blue squad novices with R2 astros. Works pretty well, but you have to consider there that the principle behind the squad is completely different. Theres a combined 32 HP there, and a combined 12 attack dice. By the time i lose one, hopefully the enemy has lost one or two. Each ship is only worth 1/4 of the squad. With Poe, or Red Ace, or anyone really, that's a tall investment. I'm downing 1/3 of a squad on one ship, meaning that i'm counting on that ship to live longer than those novices would. The only way i can count on that is if i throw some regen on them to keep them in the fight longer.

Really, the astromech is not where the fix should be. because It's just unneccesarily complicated to balance all existing and future ships that can take it around such an astromech.

And i repeat myself: If you made an astromech as an intended fix, you would need to make it extremely good and cheap. Which makes other Astros obsolete. And that is just not a good idea.

They should go on making astros, but not no-brainer ones that improve 90% of the astromech-capable ships. But this would exactly be what is needed to make generic E-Wings and the T-65 playable.

I agree that the T-65 needs just another little something. But then why not just give it a title, which is how they fixed pretty much every other ship in trouble. And it is way easier to balance, which is why FFG probably goes that route in most cases!

Just one possibility would go in the way of enabling multiple Modifications, or give a discount at them. (This is how they improved the Interceptor). After all it was the most widely used, repaired Rebel ship and i imagine their mechanics bodging a lot of nice stuff onto X-Wings as a consequence...

Or you do a title that gives it a tech slot, along with a small discount on tech an an interesting new tech upgrade for X-Wings only. (That is how they fixed the Advanced, just that it got a systems slot plus upgrade with a substantial discount of course)

This would just be a much safer and more efficient way of handng out targeted buffs to a certain group of ships that need them only...

Agreed, there should not be some superastromech that fixes the Ewing. however, the Ewing fix should say "You must equip an astromech named R7", which happens to cripple the currently popular Corran build, assuming we dont get a new R7 astromech that regens shields.

Thats terrible on the X-Wing. X-Wings hate stress. Yeah, R2 astro makes that less of a concern but god forbid the opponent has a control mechanic. Besides that, that's really not that good of an effect. It's like a worse version of marksmanship. On defense it's gonna do nothing because with 2 evade dice, it's going to have minimal effect. And on offense, it's a far, far worse version of marksmanship because you don't even get the crit, an X-Wing gets stressed, and the enemy might just roll 3 evades. 

Statistically speaking, this should carry a negative points cost. Stressing yourself is dangerous, and the positive effect is very limited. If the opponent has a single method of stress control at all, they will wipe the floor with you. Rebel Captive, R3-A2, whatever scum uses to give stress. Lists with high agility like Interceptors will beat you too, because they'll run circles around the X-Wings mediocre dial, dodge all of the X-Wings shots with 4 agility and extreme modification, and so on. TLTs will crush this list. 

How about this. Hit and Run Tactics: X-Wing only. Rebel Alliance only. After you perform an attack, place an evade token on your ship.

4 Red Squadron pilots with this, R2 astromechs, and IA. TLTs suddenly get a lot less scary, because you shoot first, get that evade token, and have a much higher chance of dodging some of their return fire. Your dial becomes better, and can chase down aces easier. It works wonders on aces like Wedge, because Wedge will shoot before everyone, and get that evade token and weather damage along with all kinds of other upgrades you can give him. It's providing a guarantee that defensively you will dodge at least one damage, and it has no downsides. 

A fix doesn't have to have a downside, you know. Ships that already have problems with efficiency really, REALLY don't need another problem to worry about.

Edited by Razgriz25thinf

Agreed, there should not be some superastromech that fixes the Ewing. however, the Ewing fix should say "You must equip an astromech named R7", which happens to cripple the currently popular Corran build, assuming we dont get a new R7 astromech that regens shields.

Well If there is actually a huge boon tied to taking the R7 Astros, why not.

But as there is just no way to force Corran Horn to play with the fix card equipped if he still prefers R2-D2 (and quite honestly, the boon for him to drop R2-D2 would need to be truly gigantic in order for him to actually play with the fix), he would just not take it and stay with his current build. Which would again be fine as it would not add anything to his powerlevel, but be good for the rest of the E-Wings.

The E-Wing also does need more named Pilots anyway. This would already go a long way of adding more variety at least. People actually play Corran Partly because he is the only high PS E-Wing, and not only for his Pilot ability.

Thats terrible on the X-Wing. X-Wings hate stress. Yeah, R2 astro makes that less of a concern but god forbid the opponent has a control mechanic. Besides that, that's really not that good of an effect. It's like a worse version of marksmanship. On defense it's gonna do nothing because with 2 evade dice, it's going to have minimal effect. And on offense, it's a far, far worse version of marksmanship because you don't even get the crit, an X-Wing gets stressed, and the enemy might just roll 3 evades. 

Statistically speaking, this should carry a negative points cost. Stressing yourself is dangerous, and the positive effect is very limited. If the opponent has a single method of stress control at all, they will wipe the floor with you. Rebel Captive, R3-A2, whatever scum uses to give stress. Lists with high agility like Interceptors will beat you too, because they'll run circles around the X-Wings mediocre dial, dodge all of the X-Wings shots with 4 agility and extreme modification, and so on. TLTs will crush this list. 

I think yo're missing the part where you stress 1 ship to focus a DIFFERENT ship.

So, for instance,  you want to shoot Wedge, and wedge rolls an evade and an eyeball- so Hobbie takes a stress to save wedge. So you shoot wedge again, and Garven is there, saving wedge's tail. Next turn they do a 2 hard to clear stress, and get ready to do it all over again.

How about this. Hit and Run Tactics: X-Wing only. Rebel Alliance only. After you perform an attack, place an evade token on your ship.

4 Red Squadron pilots with this, R2 astromechs, and IA. TLTs suddenly get a lot less scary, because you shoot first, get that evade token, and have a much higher chance of dodging some of their return fire. Your dial becomes better, and can chase down aces easier. It's providing a guarantee that defensively you will dodge at least one damage, and it has no downsides. 

A fix doesn't have to have a downside, you know. Ships that already have problems with efficiency really, REALLY don't need another problem to worry about.

I have criticized his fix a lot, but it's actually not as bad as you make it even if it would be only for T-65s. The problem i see with it is that he didn't formulate it precisely enough. We don't want/need to fix the whole Rebel faction after all...

Another part that is poorly formulated is that he does not give a 1 or 2 stress maximum per ship nor a range limitation!!!

You could have one of your ships take all the stress that is actually out of range or arc of most enemy ships, in order to keep the other ships alive and cause more damage. It could recover over a few rounds, or just stay actionless for the rest of the game and be your "stress dump buff ship" of some sort.

Being able to ALWAYS focus offensively or defensively for every offensive and defensive roll with all your ships except one without actually having to do an action on these ships is actually INSANELY powerful... And if they do get an action you can TL. That makes incredibly accurate fire.

Or just put it on Biggs and have him take the +1 agility droid. Then have a cheap stress dump X-Wing run along and focus all his defensive rolls. That should be a pretty OP combo even if you stress one of your ships 72 times in a row :D

I have to say i like your fix better however... It's not as drastic as a buff as his attempt actually despite what you might have thought!

Edited by ForceM

4 Red Squadron pilots with this, R2 astromechs, and IA. TLTs suddenly get a lot less scary, because you shoot first, get that evade token, and have a much higher chance of dodging some of their return fire. Your dial becomes better, and can chase down aces easier. It's providing a guarantee that defensively you will dodge at least one damage, and it has no downsides. 

I have criticized his fix a lot, but it's actually not as bad as you make it even if it would be only for T-65s. The problem i see with it is that he didn't formulate it precisely enough. We don't want/need to fix the whole Rebel faction after all...

Another part that is poorly formulated is that he does not give a 1 or 2 stress maximum per ship nor a range limitation!!!

Yea, it definatly needs a "Cannot be used if you already have stress" limitation. Range limit... lets call it 2, so there's no overlap with Lone Wolf.