Sign in to follow this  
rabid1903

Integrated Astromech in Rebel Veterans

I'm almost certain that the Rebel Veterans expansion pack will include at least the E-Wing.  The next ship that makes sense to me would be the Y-Wing to fully mirror the imperial veterans pack.  We could use some more named pilots in this area and a generic with an EPT (or a title/modification that grants an EPT to unique pilots) would be amazing.  That being said, I don't think the Y-Wing needs a fix at its core.  It is getting used a lot at the generic level.

The Z-95 would also be a good candidate.  I would love to see some more unique pilots in the mix.

X-Wing in the Rebel Veterans pack?  I don't think it is likely.  If it is E and X, then I would still be happy though.

Modification: You may only equip this if your upgrade bar has an astromech upgrade. After you perform an action from an equipped upgrade card you may assign one focus token to your ship. (1 point) A generic E wing can take FCS for offense and then take R2F2 for defense, a Y wing can take the discard damage, or the flip crit astromechs and get a focus. It doesn't help TLT spam and it doesn't help Corran, but can both breathe life into underused astromechs and pilots at the same time.

I think it will be a little while longer before we see X wings in an expansion because Integrated Astromech hasn't even begun to make an impact yet. I think it will be Y and E. The E really needs more pilots and a fix for generics, the Y just needs an alternative build style and new pilots, a la B wing rebel aces.

Ships like the B and Y just don't do well with unique pilots due to their cost, so I really don't seem them getting one that will be useful unless it comes with a post maneuver option. Both Kavil and Horton have fantastic abilities and Kavil even has an EPT. The rebel aces B-Wings just aren't seen much despite very good abilities, either (especially Nera's now with EM).

The bottom line is that 1 agility ships with those dials are incredibly hard to protect. The more expensive they are the more of a target they become as they die just as quickly as the non-named versions. If those two ships can't offset their defense with enough offense, I don't see them making a named Y where that is possible unless they dramatically decrease the cost to the point where you're not paying a point for PS.

I'll add that any build that outperforms a TLT on a Y is going to be downright disgusting.

Edited by AlexW

Ewing Series 1

Astromech, Ewing only, 0 points

You must equip a (|^|) named R7.

Once per round when defending,

you may turn a blank into an Evade.

If you do, your primary attack

becomes 1 for your next attack.

I'm not gonna sugar coat this, that's quite possibly the worst thing i have EVER SEEN as far as suggestions to fix the E-Wing goes. Similar to IA, it forces you to have an astromech, but unlike IA, the only astromechs that work are garbage. And, for the privledge of an autothrusters effect, you cut your attack by 2/3. I dont need to be MajorJuggler to tell you that equipping this significantly decreases the amount of points your ship is worth. This makes the E-Wing worse.

From your responce, I'm fairly certian you've never played a FCS R7 Ewing. Or Tarn. It's no R2D2 corran, and probably should have a cost reduction like the X7 defender, but it's the closest thing the Ewig has to a good generic standard build.

Moreover, it's fluffy. the Series 1 Ewing was designed to use R7 astromechs exclusively and had a problem with the engines overheating the winglasers.

Yeah, no. Still the worst idea ever. I know that E-Wings can't mount AT, but your idea needs to come with a -8 point cost to be worth it at all. You're forcing a minimum of 2 points to be spent, and for an autothrusters effect at any range but only once per round, you have to reduce your attack value to a completely useless value. Nothing is worth that. You are getting an extremely limited effect for a disastrous disadvantage. Ooh, yeah, you dodged a damage. Oh hey! If you havent attacked this round, have fun doing no damage! Generics can't use it because they would never, ever do damage, AND it locks them into only 2 astromechs, I could go on and on. it's a terrible idea. Own up to it. You don't seem to understand just how bad this is. The only, ONLY time this ability would be used is if it would otherwise kill you to take that damage. But even then, yeah, you're alive, but now you're teethless. You have to wait a whole other round to be able to actually do a damage, ASSUMING that you don't have to use that ability again. And because you're locked into only 2 astromechs, neither of which regen, you're absolutely screwed. Furthermore, R7 astromech already modifies the enemy attack dice. Why this needs to be tacked on i'm not sure i understand. I cannot come up with anything, anything at all that can use this ability and not immediately be worthless as a result. Competitively, it'd be suicide to put this on your E-Wing.

Ewing Series 1

You must equip a (|^|) named R7

for 2 less points.

Fixed. So it's a free generic astromech, or a 1point R7-T1, and a 2 point discount on all the new R7 droids that come with the pack, biasing them toward Ewing use.

So a Knave with R7 and FCS, and a proton torp, is 33 points. If you shoot at one, yes, you'll probably force it to drop it's attack, but while that one is tanking with R7 and the Series 1 effect, the other two drop torps or modified primary attacks.

No! It's NOT fixed! It's still stupid as hell and hasnt solved any of the problems that this """fix"""" has. You can't just discount those astromechs and call it a day, this idea is fundamentally flawed on a basic level and would never do anything except make the E-Wing worse in every conceivable way. Nothing benefits from this. Not doing damage ever is NEVER worth dodging a single damage, ESPECIALLY when you can not take this upgrade and grab a regen astromech, which effectively does the same thing, but you can actually -gasp- do damage! You can't fix this by putting ordnance, ordnance never fixes anything!!! You get one round off with your torps, and if you EVER need to use the ability again, literally all you are doing is declaring to the enemy "Hey, just so you know, one third of my list isn't going to be doing anything productive for the next turn. Feel free to focus fire on the other 2, actually dangerous ships. That way, they'll have to trigger their ability too, and so on."

Re-read the title fix i came up with. Fluff-wise, it covers that the cannons become damaged, but actually allows the ship to still be viable while still providing a tasty advantage for the ship to benefit from. It's a PERFECT FIT for Etahn A'Baht, because he auto flips one hit back to a crit anyways. It would work wonders for generics, and would actually bring Etahn back into the competitive scene because he'd realistically suffer no downsides, while getting a free action thats not even on his action bar. 

Edited by Razgriz25thinf

Ewing Series 1

I'm not gonna sugar coat this, that's quite possibly the worst thing i have EVER SEEN as far as suggestions to fix the E-Wing goes. Similar to IA, it forces you to have an astromech, but unlike IA, the only astromechs that work are garbage. And, for the privledge of an autothrusters effect, you cut your attack by 2/3. I dont need to be MajorJuggler to tell you that equipping this significantly decreases the amount of points your ship is worth. This makes the E-Wing worse.

From your responce, I'm fairly certian you've never played a FCS R7 Ewing. Or Tarn. It's no R2D2 corran, and probably should have a cost reduction like the X7 defender, but it's the closest thing the Ewig has to a good generic standard build.

Moreover, it's fluffy. the Series 1 Ewing was designed to use R7 astromechs exclusively and had a problem with the engines overheating the winglasers.

Yeah, no. Still the worst idea ever. I know that E-Wings can't mount AT, but your idea needs to come with a -8 point cost to be worth it at all. You're forcing a minimum of 2 points to be spent, and for an autothrusters effect at any range but only once per round, you have to reduce your attack value to a completely useless value. Nothing is worth that. You are getting an extremely limited effect for a disastrous disadvantage. Ooh, yeah, you dodged a damage. Oh hey! If you havent attacked this round, have fun doing no damage! Generics can't use it because they would never, ever do damage, AND it locks them into only 2 astromechs, I could go on and on. it's a terrible idea. Own up to it. You don't seem to understand just how bad this is. The only, ONLY time this ability would be used is if it would otherwise kill you to take that damage. But even then, yeah, you're alive, but now you're teethless. You have to wait a whole other round to be able to actually do a damage, ASSUMING that you don't have to use that ability again. And because you're locked into only 2 astromechs, neither of which regen, you're absolutely screwed. Furthermore, R7 astromech already modifies the enemy attack dice. Why this needs to be tacked on i'm not sure i understand. I cannot come up with anything, anything at all that can use this ability and not immediately be worthless as a result. Competitively, it'd be suicide to put this on your E-Wing.

Ewing Series 1

for 2 less points.

Fixed. So it's a free generic astromech, or a 1point R7-T1, and a 2 point discount on all the new R7 droids that come with the pack, biasing them toward Ewing use.

So a Knave with R7 and FCS, and a proton torp, is 33 points. If you shoot at one, yes, you'll probably force it to drop it's attack, but while that one is tanking with R7 and the Series 1 effect, the other two drop torps or modified primary attacks.

No! It's NOT fixed! It's still stupid as hell and hasnt solved any of the problems that this """fix"""" has. You can't just discount those astromechs and call it a day, this idea is fundamentally flawed on a basic level and would never do anything except make the E-Wing worse in every conceivable way. Nothing benefits from this. Not doing damage ever is NEVER worth dodging a single damage, ESPECIALLY when you can not take this upgrade and grab a regen astromech, which effectively does the same thing, but you can actually -gasp- do damage!

Re-read the title fix i came up with. Fluff-wise, it covers that the cannons become damaged, but actually allows the ship to still be viable while still providing a tasty advantage for the ship to benefit from. It's a PERFECT FIT for Etahn A'Baht, because he auto flips one hit back to a crit anyways. It would work wonders for generics, and would actually bring Etahn back into the competitive scene because he'd realistically suffer no downsides, while getting a free action thats not even on his action bar. 

You're locking yourself into regen as the One True Way, when all the regen droids are expensive uniques. The Ewing needs a viable build that doesnt rely on PS8 PTL Engine Upgrade R2D2.

Moreover, you're ignoring the source material. Integrated Astromech didnt just give a free hull upgrade, it recreated a flaw the Xwing had in the source material (astromechs getting hit) and turning it into a bonus. (Astromechs tanking critical hits)

The Dark Empire source material, where the Ewing originates, has 2 huge flaws. It can only use R7 astromechs (something that shuts down regen corran, opening up a broader field for fixes for the Ewing without overpowering worlds-runner-up Corran) and it had faulty lasers, crippling it's offensive power in he middle of combat.

The Ewing fix WILL use these flaws as part of their fix. It's just a matter of giving an equivilant reward for the loss.

Instead of trying to recreate the DE E-Wing, I'd go the other route-

Series IV title

0 points. Replace the [system slot] with the [tech slot]. When you reveal a 3 bank maneuver, you may make a 3 [red segnors loop] in that direction instead.

Maybe add a reference to the old model canon problems-

Overcharged Cannons

System (E-Wing only)

x points. When at range 1, you may roll an additional red dice. If you roll 3 or more crits, you take 1 face down damage and cancel all dice results.

Instead of trying to recreate the DE E-Wing, I'd go the other route-

Series IV title

0 points. Replace the [system slot] with the [tech slot]. When you reveal a 3 bank maneuver, you may make a 3 [red segnors loop] in that direction instead.

Maybe add a reference to the old model canon problems-

Overcharged Cannons

System (E-Wing only)

x points. When at range 1, you may roll an additional red dice. If you roll 3 or more crits, you take 1 face down damage and cancel all dice results.

Point. In fact, if we use the Defender Titles as a base expectation, it may include both Ewing Titles, the Series 1 with the R7 limitation (and rebate) and the Series 4 with the advanced tech.

Seeing the TIE shuttle making a new ship out of the bomber, I wonder if they could do something similar for the T-65.

T-65T Tandem

Modification (T-65 only)

4 points. Add a [crew] slot and the Boost action to your action bar.

Where is THAT from?

Seeing the TIE shuttle making a new ship out of the bomber, I wonder if they could do something similar for the T-65.

T-65T Tandem

Modification (T-65 only)

4 points. Add a [crew] slot and the Boost action to your action bar.

Where is THAT from?

Crimson Empire.

T-65T.jpg

Had extra engines and was a 2 seater. FFG knows CE exists, since they gave us Kir Kanos and Carnor Jax.

Edited by MajorWesJanson

I'd definately make it more than 4 points if you give it boost. Otherwise you'l get Wedge always flying Tandems, with chopper if nothing else.

Keep in mind that the Tie Shuttle takes away the bomber part of the tie bomber, and the x7 Defender takes away upgrade slots. You are suggesting something that is a straight improvement over the T65- it needs some drawback to keep tables from being filled with Biggs/Chewbaca(crew) and Wedge/bb8/Recon Spec/Autothrusters

I'd definately make it more than 4 points if you give it boost. Otherwise you'l get Wedge always flying Tandems, with chopper if nothing else.

Keep in mind that the Tie Shuttle takes away the bomber part of the tie bomber, and the x7 Defender takes away upgrade slots. You are suggesting something that is a straight improvement over the T65- it needs some drawback to keep tables from being filled with Biggs/Chewbaca(crew) and Wedge/bb8/Recon Spec/Autothrusters

But the TIE/D is free. So is IG2000 (though that is underpriced) But those are titles, while I was thinking it would be a mod, so no Tandem + Autothrusters. or no Tandem + IA

5 points would work though (Engine mod + E2)

Biggs + Chewie + R2 would be hard to kill, but would also be 37-38 points alone, and no room for any mods like shield or hull upgrades.

Knowing Chopper, if you ran him + any astromech, only one droid will be surviving that mission.

Well for what it's worth, i see no Astromech slot on the tandem.

Need to stop seeing a "fix" for X-wing that gives it the Boost action, because the T-70 already exists.

I think barrel rolls would serve the X-wings better than boost and differentiate them from T-70s more.

Then they'd be pretty close to TIE Advanceds.

Rogue Squadron Ace - Unique title - 1 point

This title may only be equipped by a ship named  X-wing , Z-95, or E -wing. This title may only be equipped to Rebel Alliance faction.

Your action bar gains the barrel roll action icon. When defending, you may reroll 1 of your blank results.

There ya go, just a little boost to a single ship, and doesn't prevent you from taking Integrated Astromech. It gives you a little defensive boost, probably superior to Autothrusters since it works at all ranges and while in a frontal arc, but won't help if you want to field 3 or 4 of them. And since it is unique, it is strong for it's cost and will only take up a single upgrade card in Rebel Veterans, so they can focus the rest of the set on Z-95s and E-wings, and even include more titles. Then you can pick and choose your favorite title like with the Defender. There could be more unique titles for the other squadrons, or they could focus on ship specific ones for the Z-95 to give it an Astromech slot, or something neat for E-wings.

Makes Tarn Mison a little harder to kill with R7. Biggs can barrel roll into enemy firing arcs, Luke gets to reroll a blank to get his pilot ability off.

Airen Cracken can get close enough to another ship with his barrel roll to use his pilot ability, or if a nearby x-wing has the title, he could have it roll out of an arc, or to line up a shot.

E-wings can already barrel roll, but it makes their 3 defense die have more impact.

Quite a few neat little things you could do.

(Bigg's new nickname will be the "Troll Roll")

Edited by Vulf

I've been tossing a different T-65 title around in my head for a bit, which might tweak how it is played a little:

---

Long-Range Targeting - title, 0pts

When attacking with your primary weapon, you always count as being at Range 2

---

Idea behind it is that the X-Wing has those honking great laser cannons, which fluffwise allows shots to be far more accurate at range. The downside obviously being not getting that delicious 4-die range 1 attack, but it allows the T-70 to fill a different niche, as that of a sniper, as its dial is a little lacking to really be viable as a jouster. It also serves as a rather handy counter to autothrusters.

I've been tossing a different T-65 title around in my head for a bit, which might tweak how it is played a little:

---

---

Idea behind it is that the X-Wing has those honking great laser cannons, which fluffwise allows shots to be far more accurate at range. The downside obviously being not getting that delicious 4-die range 1 attack, but it allows the T-70 to fill a different niche, as that of a sniper, as its dial is a little lacking to really be viable as a jouster. It also serves as a rather handy counter to autothrusters.

That's basically the Inquisitor's pilot ability.

Autothrusters already has plenty of counters!

Edited by Vulf

---

---

Not quite, as the Inquisitor is always at range 1, and thus gets range 1 bonuses. It's still a 3-die primary, so granted it's pretty similar

---

---

Not quite, as the Inquisitor is always at range 1, and thus gets range 1 bonuses. It's still a 3-die primary, so granted it's pretty similar

Well 3 dice at all ranges and denies the extra die for defending at range 3, but... just like the Inquisitor's ability, they still get Autothruster at range 3 based on the way you worded it.

You'd have to put "the defender acts as though he is at range 2 when he modifies dice" and this would be very specifically directed towards Autothrusters, it might as well say Autothrusters don't work.

But Autothrusters says "when defending, if you are beyond range 2" it doesn't say "when defending at range 3 against an attack" or "when defending against a range 3 attack"

I know it seems similar, or like semantics, but it is an important distinction.

Weird interactions, like with Carnor Jax's ability too. If you were within 1 of Carnor Jax, he could still shut down your ability to use a focus on attacks, even if you are attacking as if at range 2, because Carnor Jax's ability only cares if a ship is within 1 of him.

But, we'll see what the design intent is if the Inquisitor gets an entry in the FAQ.

*edits abound in my posts, lol.

Anyway, yeah, The TIE Inquisitor wants to stay at range 3 where his Autothrusters work since he deals the same damage that he would at range 1.

If X-wings want to do this, they'd probably need the slow Barrel Rolling + banks that TIE fighters can do to keep from getting too close.

The Inquisitor with v1 and Push the limit can use target lock to check ranges. if he gets a target lock but finds he is at range 2, after getting his free evade token, can then barrel roll backwards and to the side to nudge himself into range 3. Autothrusters + an evade is nothing to sneeze at.

If he's just outside of Target lock range, he can then barrel roll closer, use Push the Limit and go for another target lock, if he is still outside of range 3, then no stress token and no target lock. He can abort Push the Limit, or take the stress and use a focus instead.

People complain that the x1 title makes him too strong, but he's tailor effing made to use the v1 title to its fullest.

Edited by Vulf

---

---

Well 3 dice at all ranges and denies the extra die for defending at range 3, but... just like the Inquisitor's ability, they still get Autothruster at range 3 based on the way you worded it.

You'd have to put "the defender acts as though he is defending at range 2" and this would be very specifically directed towards Autothrusters, it might as well say Autothrusters don't work.

It's the way the rules work, since the extra defense die actually comes from the step when attacker declares his attack and checks the range. It denies them that die.

But Autothrusters works independent of that step.

Weird interactions, like with Carnor Jax's ability too. If you were within 1 of Carnor Jax, he could still shut down your ability to use a focus on attacks, even if you are attacking as if at range 2, because Carnor Jax's ability only cares if a ship is within 1 of him.

Ah yes, of course. Still, I'm fond of the overall concept of making the X-Wing a ship that works best at range, it's design space that has only been touched upon lightly

Ewing Series 1

Ewing Series 1

for 2 less points.

No! It's NOT fixed! It's still stupid as hell and hasnt solved any of the problems that this """fix"""" has. You can't just discount those astromechs and call it a day, this idea is fundamentally flawed on a basic level and would never do anything except make the E-Wing worse in every conceivable way. Nothing benefits from this. Not doing damage ever is NEVER worth dodging a single damage, ESPECIALLY when you can not take this upgrade and grab a regen astromech, which effectively does the same thing, but you can actually -gasp- do damage!

You're locking yourself into regen as the One True Way, when all the regen droids are expensive uniques. The Ewing needs a viable build that doesnt rely on PS8 PTL Engine Upgrade R2D2.

Moreover, you're ignoring the source material. Integrated Astromech didnt just give a free hull upgrade, it recreated a flaw the Xwing had in the source material (astromechs getting hit) and turning it into a bonus. (Astromechs tanking critical hits)

The Dark Empire source material, where the Ewing originates, has 2 huge flaws. It can only use R7 astromechs (something that shuts down regen corran, opening up a broader field for fixes for the Ewing without overpowering worlds-runner-up Corran) and it had faulty lasers, crippling it's offensive power in he middle of combat.

The Ewing fix WILL use these flaws as part of their fix. It's just a matter of giving an equivilant reward for the loss.

You're ignoring all the points i'm making. I'm telling you that the ability you've come up with is ****, because it doesnt do anything massive for you but turning a blank to an evade, which doesnt help you if you roll all focus results, but the downside is you now can't land damage on anyone at all. I don't give a **** in the long run about R7 restriction, i can overcome that because R7/FCS is already pretty decent, but the effect thats being tacked on doesn't actually HELP the E-Wing, it'll kill it. It turns the E-Wing into a naked HWK offensively. A naked HWK that you're paying 30+ points for. This ability is like autothrusters except it's terrible. The only way to fix this is to make an amazing effect, like "You may cancel all enemy attack dice" and then cut the guns, or you need to change the negative effect from -2 attack.

Edited by Razgriz25thinf