Sign in to follow this  
rabid1903

Integrated Astromech in Rebel Veterans

A box of Rebel Veterans would probably consist of X's and E's.

A's and B's have had a special pack already.

Y's (and HWK's) would need stuff for the Scum as well, making it a very large expansion.

X's need more stuff and so do E's.

I'd give the X-Wings access to Barrel Rolls.

A lot is riding on what the Mist Hunter will bring, with the Dual Upgrades reference card. 

That will probably open up design space in ways we're not thinking of.

The Y-Wing is one of the most used ships right now. The Y-Wing got TLTs, Most Wanted, and various other nice things. I severely, severely doubt Y-Wings would be in a Rebel Vets pack.

It didn't stop FFG releasing the B-Wing in Rebel Aces, when it was already doing very well (i.e. about as common in Rebel lists as the Y-Wing is now)

If they are, i'm going to be extremely disappointed and more than a little upset

Brace yourself ;)

Only 'cause of stressbot and TLT, or unhinged and TLT. Not a lot of build diversity TBH.

And remember the b wing was a strong ship when it appeared in rebel aces, but at the time it only appeared as a blue naked or with fcs and the occasional dagger

I have won a pair of tournaments using Ten Numb

EPT (Y-wing only) Multitasking gunner. 2 points. Your Y-wing gains the <crew> icon on the upgrade bar.

So only one of the scum pilots or a Rebel Y-wing equiped with R2-D6 can take it?

Until Gold Squadron Veterans is a thing, yeah. It's the best solution for an S3 to get a crew slot which people all want for some reason.

Gold squadron veterans - wasn't that pretty much only Keyan Farlander with all other Y-Wings being shot down? Or am I missing one?

Rebel HWKs could use some help, their only saving grace right now is Roarks good ability at a reasonable price and how cheap their generic is (the ability to combo TLT and crew at sub 25 points is great) while being supperior to the scum one because of PS. Jan was somewhat usefull in a meta of 2 ships, but that is now mostly gone. Kyle has always been bad. The rebel HWK needs either new pilots or very specific crew. I don't see it as a contender for an ace/veterans pack, though. I can't quite tell why, but that just feels improbable.

Doesn't need a title (as noted, the base Y-Wing is already the S3)

Technically, the base Advanced was already the x1, and the base Defender was already the /D.  But they still made Title cards out of them anyway.

I thought Vader was the only one flying the X1, all others were just Advanced before taking the title.

I thought Vader was the only one flying the X1, all others were just Advanced before taking the title.

No.  The Vader-style Advanced IS the x1 in the lore.

There is no such thing as a "generic" TIE Advanced.  Other Advanced models are prototypes for other ships.  The closest thing they have is the TIE/ad, which is the mass production model of the TIE Advanced, but is what most people call the TIE Avenger.

Likewise, there's technically no such thing as a generic TIE Adv. Prototype in the lore.  There is only the TIE Advanced v1.

Oh so now it's just an arguement about whether the X-wing will be "fixed" or "updated".

Gotcha.

I'm just saying the E-Wing and HWK-290 need help, while the X-Wing and Y-Wing merely want more options beyond the glut they already have. The next two aces treatments should be the E-Wing and HWK-290.

X-Wing can get its fluff when Rogue One comes out because, as of IA's release, it's fixed.

exactly, not to mention anything E-wing will include new astros which the x may also take.

E-wing with Wedge or Luke and Z-95s with Astromech granting titles and new Astromechs. Some new modifications that can be applied to certain Rebel ships.

Integrated Astromech will remain strictly in the T-70 X-wing expansion. Not like you need to run many of those upgrades, your third X-wing will probably be POE with Autothrusters, or something with Engine Upgrade.

2 T-70 expansions and the Core will probably serve you just fine. Imperial players might buy a 2nd Punisher to get more TIE Mk. 2 cards, but it is much easier to fit a 2nd T-70 in a list than it is to make use of a 2nd TIE Punisher. And the Punishers are $20 ships while the T-70s are $15.

Ewing Series 1

Astromech, Ewing only, 0 points

You must equip a (|^|) named R7.

Once per round when defending,

you may turn a blank into an Evade.

If you do, your primary attack

becomes 1 for your next attack.

I'm not gonna sugar coat this, that's quite possibly the worst thing i have EVER SEEN as far as suggestions to fix the E-Wing goes. Similar to IA, it forces you to have an astromech, but unlike IA, the only astromechs that work are garbage. And, for the privledge of an autothrusters effect, you cut your attack by 2/3. I dont need to be MajorJuggler to tell you that equipping this significantly decreases the amount of points your ship is worth. This makes the E-Wing worse. 

There's a reason FFG designs the game, and not the community...

How about this instead.

E-Wing Mk.I Title, 0 points. 

After you make an attack that hits, you may perform a free boost action. If you do, on your next attack, you must flip all crit results to hit results. 

Action economy, and a relatively minor downgrade in firepower for zero points. I would use this title, because it doesnt force me to get an astromech and thus spend more points, it doesnt have a negligible advantage, and the downside won't result in a surefire failure for your team because the most dice you can roll next attack is 2.

Edited by Razgriz25thinf

I'm just saying, every time there's a ship clearly lagging behind, there's always people saying 'you're just not flying it right' or 'FFG won't fix it it's fine as it is'.

Hell, I remember a big thread discussing how the TIE Advanced didn't need fixing because Darth Vader had the best pilot ability in the game, and he was a good flanker with EU.

THIS. SO VERY MUCH THIS!

The TIE Advanced was the single worst-performing ship in the game. So they fixed it. The TIE Defender was the new worst-performing ship in the game. So they fixed it.

A-Wing had 1 thing going for it (cheap Rebel missile carrier), which was being overtaken by the Z-95. So they fixed it.

The TIE Bomber has issues unrelated to its actual statline. So they Keep. Trying. To. Fix. Munitions. (I'm not sure they've succeeded.)

The TIE Interceptor was in a bad spot. So they fixed it. And that wasn't quite good enough. So they added autothrusters. That fixed it.

The next 2 ships that need serious attention are the StarViper and the Scyk. People keep saying "get gud", and they're just _wrong_. Those ships are simply _not good enough_ for their points. And the fact that this is the case hurts the _entire_ Scum faction.

Think of it this way: if the Cartel spacer were either 12 points _or_ had 1 more hull for its current cost, you'd see Xizor a bit more often than you do. Alternately: how many different Scum builds would an 18 point Serissu allow?

Alternately: the StarViper has the statline and cost of the Squint + Hull + Shield. Except that the StarViper doesn't have the Evade action. And the Hull + Shield aren't worth 7 points on a 3 attack 3 defense ship. And the StarViper dial isn't as good. And the title that gives all the interesting options is unique. Any one of those things would be something that could be overcome-able. Together they're... not great. But hey! If my opponent agrees to run a T-65 X-Wing without Integrated Astromech, I'm totally down to fly the StarViper.

And I'm hopeful that the Cloaking Device will be a nice boost for a Virago-equipped StarViper.

I'm thinking that an Astromech is gunna be the fix for the E-Wing / X-Wing but this raises a problem, the Y-Wing. I'm wondering if maybe a astro (X/E only) that gives boost but doesn't put it in the action bar (no autothusters).

Edit: I don't want to see the X wing in this box either. We don't need more pilots for it (we have some great ones) just more usablity.

Edited by Spaceman91

The Y-Wing is one of the most used ships right now. The Y-Wing got TLTs, Most Wanted, and various other nice things. I severely, severely doubt Y-Wings would be in a Rebel Vets pack.

It didn't stop FFG releasing the B-Wing in Rebel Aces, when it was already doing very well (i.e. about as common in Rebel lists as the Y-Wing is now)

If they are, i'm going to be extremely disappointed and more than a little upset

Brace yourself ;)

I don't think any ship has seen the amount of use the Y-wing is seeing now except perhaps the Tie Fighter pre Wave 4.

I think it will be a little while longer before we see X wings in an expansion because Integrated Astromech hasn't even begun to make an impact yet. I think it will be Y and E. The E really needs more pilots and a fix for generics, the Y just needs an alternative build style and new pilots, a la B wing rebel aces. Both of them have astromechs that will also help the X wing. I think we will see something like this:

PS 5 generic Y wing pilot (21points)

3 named pilots. PS7 supportive Leia would be badass.

Y wing only turret - add a crew slot to the ship (0points)

Astromech - After you perform a torpedo attack you may immediately make an attack with your primary weapon. You may not fire again this turn (1point) (this gives generic Xs a boost with double tapping and IA after the torp is gone)

E Wing PS 4-5 generic with EPT 30-31 points

3 named pilots

E wing modification (-2 points) when you perform a barrel roll you may assign one focus/evade to your ship (it is really hard to think of a buff to all pilots other than Corran, but he is usually tied to Engine of Shield upgrade, and this cancels that at least)

Unique Astromech - before you reveal your dial you may remove one stress token from your ship (3points) (expensive, but really helps the generic X and named alike, especially for jousting in a stress heavy meta, and I think 2 points is just a smidge too cheap, but I could be convinced)

Astromech - If there is another friendly ship within range 1-2 you may reroll one blank result when attacking or defending (2points)

Astromech - If you have a TL on an enemy ship in range 1-3 you may look at that ship's maneuver dial at the beginning of the activation phase. (1point, intel agent for FCS generics, possibly useful on X wings, but not really)

Edited by Gersun

MajorJuggler said himself that Y-Wings accounted for 30% of all points spent in the top 32 cut in worlds. I don't really see how the Y-Wing needs help. It's the bread and butter of Rebel squad building at the moment. What the Y-Wing is doing right now is what the Y-Wing will always be doing from now on. The B-Wing got aces, but i see a significant amount more of just naked blues than aces or ships with B-Wing/E2. Even IF the Y-Wing got in that pack, the only way for the Y-Wing to not be most seen in it's PS2 TLT format is for FFG to one-up that with a better/cheaper alternative. Ordnance? Hah! Ordnance or a TLT, i pick TLT every time. Bombs? Same deal. The simple fact is that the Y-Wing is a turret ship. That's what it's meant to do. And that's what it does, really, really well. 

Meanwhile, the X-Wing is a jouster that can't joust. That's a problem.

Edited by Razgriz25thinf

Ewing Series 1

You must equip a (|^|) named R7.

I'm not gonna sugar coat this, that's quite possibly the worst thing i have EVER SEEN as far as suggestions to fix the E-Wing goes. Similar to IA, it forces you to have an astromech, but unlike IA, the only astromechs that work are garbage. And, for the privledge of an autothrusters effect, you cut your attack by 2/3. I dont need to be MajorJuggler to tell you that equipping this significantly decreases the amount of points your ship is worth. This makes the E-Wing worse.

From your responce, I'm fairly certian you've never played a FCS R7 Ewing. Or Tarn. It's no R2D2 corran, and probably should have a cost reduction like the X7 defender, but it's the closest thing the Ewig has to a good generic standard build.

Moreover, it's fluffy. the Series 1 Ewing was designed to use R7 astromechs exclusively and had a problem with the engines overheating the winglasers.

Edited by Rakaydos

The A-wing needed a boost, it got a boost.

The Y-wing needed a boost, it got a boost.

The Advanced needed a fix, it got a fix.

The X-wing needed a boost, it got a boost.

The Defender needed a fix, it got a boost.

:mellow:

Edited by Vulf

I had written a whole lot here about the E-Wing and then lost it all by hitting 1 bad button.

So TL;DReWrite: The E-Wing needs help, but it needs to be targeted to buff the generics by 3 points, Corran by _no more than_ one point, and Ehahn needs to be in a 24 point X-Wing.

MOAR DROIDs are better, but the ones that we have now are mostly good. For instance: a well-priced generic E-Wing, Y-Wing or X-Wing with an EPT would take PTL + R2 and have the best part of a Squint's dial with even more tankiness.

One way to fix the E-Wing? A Title free title for non-EPT holders: "Once per round, after you perform an action, you may perform 1 free action. Then receive 1 stress token." For fun, limit it to "must have a (droid slot)", which would get Horton TL + Focus every turn. And he could equip 2 Torpedoes. And get rerolls on blanks at range 2-3. I'm not sure that EPTless Y-Wings and X-Wings need quite that much of a buff, though!

Another way to buff the E-Wing would be a Torpedo upgrade that gives a 3 point discount on System slot upgrades. It would be an effective 2 point discount on Corran (who loves FCS), but would be a nice way to defensively buff the other E-Wings by the 3 points they need (it would be a free Sensor Jammer). Downside? It's a repeat of the TIE Advanced fix.

Alternately: swap out the System slot for a Tech slot, and give it a 2-3 point discount on equipped Tech upgrades. Corran already has a preferred loadout that includes the System slot- so he doesn't get a buff. But the Generics would get to pull off the dreaded com relay/ Juke combo. It's better on high PS ships, but remember that a com relay is effectively an extra shield. Not to mention the E-Wing would stand to benefit from any future Tech upgrades. It would also be an opportunity for FFG to introduce more tech upgrades.

So those are my thoughts. :)

E-wing could do with a couple E-wing only System upgrades.

5 points to gain the Boost action and a shield

or 2 Points to gain an action to flip over a discarded munition card.

:lol:

Are you happy if Rebels get a ship that lets them equip a total of 3 modifications worth of stuff?

Edited by Vulf

Ewing Series 1

You must equip a (|^|) named R7

for 2 less points.

Fixed. So it's a free generic astromech, or a 1point R7-T1, and a 2 point discount on all the new R7 droids that come with the pack, biasing them toward Ewing use.

So a Knave with R7 and FCS, and a proton torp, is 33 points. If you shoot at one, yes, you'll probably force it to drop it's attack, but while that one is tanking with R7 and the Series 1 effect, the other two drop torps or modified primary attacks.