Sign in to follow this  
rabid1903

Integrated Astromech in Rebel Veterans

I wonder if FFG would have the chutzpah to make a Rogue Squadron E-wing PS5 with an EPT and cost it at 30 points.  Would simply admit that the original generics were WAY too expensive and no one will ever use them but Hey, here is a good generic.

Nah, they are far and away way more creative than that.

Would simply admit that the original generics were WAY too expensive and no one will ever use them but Hey, here is a good generic.

Maybe, I mean that's sorta what the Gamma Squadron Vet is. For 1 more point you get a EPT and +1 PS.

Would simply admit that the original generics were WAY too expensive and no one will ever use them but Hey, here is a good generic.

Maybe, I mean that's sorta what the Gamma Squadron Vet is. For 1 more point you get a EPT and +1 PS.

Not removed from RGP compared to Sabre.

EPT (Y-wing only) Multitasking gunner. 0 points Your Y-wing gains the <crew> icon on the upgrade bar.

If you were to overtly add a crew slot, outright (IE., without making the upgrade a 'turret' upgrade so it removes the gun entirely) I'd at least have text on the card that indicates you cannot use that crew's ability AND attack with the gun in the same turn.

Which opens up some weird interactions (using a weapons engineer to get two target locks on one turn that you cannot use the turret on is, and then using the turret to shoot the following turn is clear enough...but do you lose one of the target locks if you switch the weapons engineer over to 'shooting' instead of...whatever, 'working the computer' or something?  Much cleaner to just make the upgrade a 'turret' upgrade type, that adds a crew slot)

Pretty sure they said they'd watch the effect of this fix and if it needs more it'll get it. So if you want more buffs, don't ever play x-wings for the next year and they'll see it didn't work. Barring that, this fix did everything required to put x-wings back on the table.

heh heh. Heh.

There won't be a second fix.

HA! HAHAHA! HA!

You enjoy being a smart ass don't ya?

How so? Because I pointed out that the designers do not think the X-Wing is fine? And that since they're the ones who make the decisions what they think is all that matters?

Pretty sure they said they'd watch the effect of this fix and if it needs more it'll get it.

Maybe it was at worlds, or some other place. But Alex said that the X-Wing was still not where they wanted it. He also said that the IA was not 'the' fix for the T-65 X-Wing.

Of course it still wasn't up to snuff at worlds. The IA mod wasn't released yet. Now that it has been it's up to snuff. I'll pull that video when I have a second to prove they're good with 1 fix with a wait and see approach. There won't be a second fix unless this fix fails.

EPT (Y-wing only) Multitasking gunner. 0 points Your Y-wing gains the <crew> icon on the upgrade bar.

If you were to overtly add a crew slot, outright (IE., without making the upgrade a 'turret' upgrade so it removes the gun entirely) I'd at least have text on the card that indicates you cannot use that crew's ability AND attack with the gun in the same turn.

Which opens up some weird interactions (using a weapons engineer to get two target locks on one turn that you cannot use the turret on is, and then using the turret to shoot the following turn is clear enough...but do you lose one of the target locks if you switch the weapons engineer over to 'shooting' instead of...whatever, 'working the computer' or something?  Much cleaner to just make the upgrade a 'turret' upgrade type, that adds a crew slot)

It's not as if there aren't other ships with turret slots, astromechs and crew slots.

This literally trades EPT for crew. This card is for those people who are like "but the S3 has two people in" YES, ONE IS GUNNING! Your way works, it does. but it tells them "yeah, he's too busy navigating/C3POing/being chopper to gun".

Both ways enable C3PO and R2D2 to be in the same small based starfighter, which is hilarious. (as does the Kwing, but still).

Edited by DariusAPB

Just thinking a little outside the box, but what if they didn't release any new unique pilots with this pack?  Just release it with a Rookie Pilot, Red Squadron Pilot, and 2x Rogue Squadron Pilots.  Covers the 4x pilot card requirement, releases a high PS generic with an EPT, but still gives you options to run it on the cheap.

I'd much rather see ports over (namely, Tycho, and Corran), over a rookie and a red.

While I'd also like to see new/reused pilots, I understand that the X-Wing is pretty pilot saturated and are honestly all useful in their own way.

So I watched the 2015 Gencon interview, and Alex said around 10:30ish, that the X-Wing both needs and deserves the aces treatment.

In the Worlds interview Alex also says that while the IA will help, there will plenty of additional chances for them to bring in buff's for the T-65.

Edited by VanorDM

It's not as if there aren't other ships with turret slots, astromechs and crew slots.

This literally trades EPT for crew. This card is for those people who are like "but the S3 has two people in" YES, ONE IS GUNNING! Your way works, it does. but it tells them "yeah, he's too busy navigating/C3POing/being chopper to gun".

Both ways enable C3PO and R2D2 to be in the same small based starfighter, which is hilarious. (as does the Kwing, but still).

Well, IIRC, C3P0 actually *did* ride in a Y-Wing at one point.

"Splinter of the Mind's Eye" had Leia flying a Y-Wing with 3P0 in the back seat.

(It'd be a hilarious callback reference I would love to see FFG attempt, if in 'Rebel Veterans' they do give us Leia as a Y-Wing pilot.  I'd literally LOL @ that...)

Just thinking a little outside the box, but what if they didn't release any new unique pilots with this pack?  Just release it with a Rookie Pilot, Red Squadron Pilot, and 2x Rogue Squadron Pilots.  Covers the 4x pilot card requirement, releases a high PS generic with an EPT, but still gives you options to run it on the cheap.

I'd much rather see ports over (namely, Tycho, and Corran), over a rookie and a red.

While I'd also like to see new/reused pilots, I understand that the X-Wing is pretty pilot saturated and are honestly all useful in their own way.

No way, we need all the pilots! At least a dozen unique X-wingers! 20 would be awesome! That way they can soak up all the good ability and leave the lame leftovers for imps and scum.

I really don't think that the Y-Wing needs a fix.  It was competitive before as a Warthog, now is even stronger with TLT, and has plenty of near-competitive builds available to it.  I understand that Horton deserves an EPT, but it's not mandatory.

Pretty sure they said they'd watch the effect of this fix and if it needs more it'll get it. So if you want more buffs, don't ever play x-wings for the next year and they'll see it didn't work. Barring that, this fix did everything required to put x-wings back on the table.

heh heh. Heh.

There won't be a second fix.

HA! HAHAHA! HA!

laugh-it-up-fuzzball.png

Aces treatment starts at 9:00, Integraded Astromech starts at 12:30, 13:15 says there will be future opportunities to see the X-wing updated - not called a fix.

Oh so now it's just an arguement about whether the X-wing will be "fixed" or "updated".

Gotcha.

I'm just saying the E-Wing and HWK-290 need help, while the X-Wing and Y-Wing merely want more options beyond the glut they already have. The next two aces treatments should be the E-Wing and HWK-290.

X-Wing can get its fluff when Rogue One comes out because, as of IA's release, it's fixed.

Oh so now it's just an arguement about whether the X-wing will be "fixed" or "updated".

Gotcha.

I'm just saying the E-Wing and HWK-290 need help, while the X-Wing and Y-Wing merely want more options beyond the glut they already have. The next two aces treatments should be the E-Wing and HWK-290.

X-Wing can get its fluff when Rogue One comes out because, as of IA's release, it's fixed.

The Hawk doesn't really need that much help, and while IA does certainly help the X-wing, it really isn't "fixed". I'd still much rather fly a B-wing, Y-wing, or A-wing over an X.

Suffice to say, I'm almost 100% positive the Aces box will be the X-wing and E-wing.

I'd still much rather fly a B-wing, Y-wing, or A-wing over an X.

With IA, the X-Wing is still a point or so too expensive, compared to the B-Wing. If there were a 0 point Astromech it would most likely be about right.

For 22 points a Rookie with R2 Astro and IA, is still not quite as good as a Blue B-Wing. It's quite close, but until it's as good or perhaps a bit better it will still be a poor choice.

One other thought, perhaps the final one for me on this topic. Given that FFG starts working on things about 18 months prior to release, the contents of the Rebel Veterans box has already been decided.

Edited by VanorDM

I'm just saying, every time there's a ship clearly lagging behind, there's always people saying 'you're just not flying it right' or 'FFG won't fix it it's fine as it is'.

Hell, I remember a big thread discussing how the TIE Advanced didn't need fixing because Darth Vader had the best pilot ability in the game, and he was a good flanker with EU.

Until the Imperial Veterans leak happened, you wouldn't have to go searching for people who'd tell you it was fine, and just required a 'different play style' to other Imperial ships.

The fact is, when lots of players think a ship isn't good enough in terms of raw stats, telling them to 'git gud' isn't a solution. History repeats itself, and it's just going to be all the funnier when Rebel Veterans is announced.

But now, I'll tell you why IA won't fix the X-wing:

1. MJ's Jousting value puts it ~1% behind the B-Wing even with IA, and the B-wing can even Barrel Roll.
  2. That Jousting Value was calculated with a 1pt Droid, so taking a more expensive one will increase the gap between them
  3. Jousting value is important to an X-wing because it's a Jouster.
Edited by jimmius

Which is exactly what happens in the new Disney canon book "The Weapon of a Jedi", wherein Luke pilots a Y-wing with R2 in the astromech slot and 3PO in the second crew seat.

Awesome, and canon!

Edited by evanger