Sign in to follow this  
rabid1903

Integrated Astromech in Rebel Veterans

Rebel Tactics: EPT, Rebel Alliance Only (note that this excludes Resistance)

When an ally attacks or defends, you may take a stress. If you do, that ally may turn all Focus results into hits or evades.

Combined with a Rogue Squadron Pilot (PS5, EPT) at 24 points, R2 Astromech, and IA, you can run 4 Xwings that get focus on pretty much everything

Thats terrible on the X-Wing. X-Wings hate stress. Yeah, R2 astro makes that less of a concern but god forbid the opponent has a control mechanic. Besides that, that's really not that good of an effect. It's like a worse version of marksmanship. On defense it's gonna do nothing because with 2 evade dice, it's going to have minimal effect. And on offense, it's a far, far worse version of marksmanship because you don't even get the crit, an X-Wing gets stressed, and the enemy might just roll 3 evades. 

Statistically speaking, this should carry a negative points cost. Stressing yourself is dangerous, and the positive effect is very limited. If the opponent has a single method of stress control at all, they will wipe the floor with you. Rebel Captive, R3-A2, whatever scum uses to give stress. Lists with high agility like Interceptors will beat you too, because they'll run circles around the X-Wings mediocre dial, dodge all of the X-Wings shots with 4 agility and extreme modification, and so on. TLTs will crush this list. 

I think yo're missing the part where you stress 1 ship to focus a DIFFERENT ship.

So, for instance,  you want to shoot Wedge, and wedge rolls an evade and an eyeball- so Hobbie takes a stress to save wedge. So you shoot wedge again, and Garven is there, saving wedge's tail. Next turn they do a 2 hard to clear stress, and get ready to do it all over again.

No, i caught that. But generally, effects that stress you carry an excellent effect. Push the Limit, Zeta Leader, and R3-A2. Giving yourself an additional action, adding an attack die to your roll, stressing the enemy. Giving a friendly unit what amounts to a focus token but isn't actually a focus token and such cannot be used to trigger things like R5-P9, or Poe's ability, and such, isn't a very good tradeoff for a stress. Typically when stressing yourself is involved, the minimum positive effect should be a free action or better. 

When an ally attacks or defends, you may take a stress. If you do, that ally may turn all Focus results into hits or evades.

Combined with a Rogue Squadron Pilot (PS5, EPT) at 24 points, R2 Astromech, and IA, you can run 4 Xwings that get focus on pretty much everything

Thats terrible on the X-Wing. X-Wings hate stress. Yeah, R2 astro makes that less of a concern but god forbid the opponent has a control mechanic. Besides that, that's really not that good of an effect. It's like a worse version of marksmanship. On defense it's gonna do nothing because with 2 evade dice, it's going to have minimal effect. And on offense, it's a far, far worse version of marksmanship because you don't even get the crit, an X-Wing gets stressed, and the enemy might just roll 3 evades. 

Statistically speaking, this should carry a negative points cost. Stressing yourself is dangerous, and the positive effect is very limited. If the opponent has a single method of stress control at all, they will wipe the floor with you. Rebel Captive, R3-A2, whatever scum uses to give stress. Lists with high agility like Interceptors will beat you too, because they'll run circles around the X-Wings mediocre dial, dodge all of the X-Wings shots with 4 agility and extreme modification, and so on. TLTs will crush this list.

I think yo're missing the part where you stress 1 ship to focus a DIFFERENT ship.

So, for instance,  you want to shoot Wedge, and wedge rolls an evade and an eyeball- so Hobbie takes a stress to save wedge. So you shoot wedge again, and Garven is there, saving wedge's tail. Next turn they do a 2 hard to clear stress, and get ready to do it all over again.

No, i caught that. But generally, effects that stress you carry an excellent effect. Push the Limit, Zeta Leader, and R3-A2. Giving yourself an additional action, adding an attack die to your roll, stressing the enemy. Giving a friendly unit what amounts to a focus token but isn't actually a focus token and such cannot be used to trigger things like R5-P9, or Poe's ability, and such, isn't a very good tradeoff for a stress. Typically when stressing yourself is involved, the minimum positive effect should be a free action or better.

I've got to totally disagree with you here. I think that fix would work wonders in certain builds. Have a cheap X-wing absorbing huge amounts of stress to gave every X-wing amazing action efficiency. Yeah he's actionless for the rest of the game but he's got Biggs with Integrated R2-F2 backing him up.

And after all, a stress hog is a horribly inefficient ship too when it's buried in stress. It just serves a greater purpose so the inefficiency is tolerated. Sacrificing the focus token of one X-wing to give every other X-wing unlimited focus tokens seems like a good trade.

I've got to totally disagree with you here. I think that fix would work wonders in certain builds. Have a cheap X-wing absorbing huge amounts of stress to gave every X-wing amazing action efficiency. Yeah he's actionless for the rest of the game but he's got Biggs with Integrated R2-F2 backing him up.

And after all, a stress hog is a horribly inefficient ship too when it's buried in stress. It just serves a greater purpose so the inefficiency is tolerated. Sacrificing the focus token of one X-wing to give every other X-wing unlimited focus tokens seems like a good trade.

Stresshogs get TLTs. X-Wings don't. Effectively, you've got a fourth of your list, in a ship that normally could throw down some serious damage that... isn't. Because it's unmodified, and heavily stressed. It's also got 3 less HP than a stresshog. Generally i don't believe in support ships unless they're A) the palpmobile, or B) can actually throw some dice. I'm talking like Kyle Katarn with moldy crow and recspec to back up Poe, but he also has a TLT and tons of focus to use with it. He can do some damage just as much as Poe can. But this support X-Wing with this title, or whatever it is won't be doing anything, and once Biggs is dead in turn 1 or 2, effectively only half of your list can actually fight. That's dangerous, and simply won't work. Your list will generally be more efficient without this title because then all of your ships will be dedicated to actually fighting. 

Edited by Razgriz25thinf

So, for instance, you want to shoot Wedge, and wedge rolls an evade and an eyeball- so Hobbie takes a stress to save wedge. So you shoot wedge again, and Garven is there, saving wedge's tail. Next turn they do a 2 hard to clear stress, and get ready to do it all over again.

Stresshogs get TLTs. X-Wings don't. Effectively, you've got a fourth of your list, in a ship that normally could throw down some serious damage that... isn't. Because it's unmodified, and heavily stressed. It's also got 3 less HP than a stresshog. Generally i don't believe in support ships unless they're A) the palpmobile, or B) can actually throw some dice. I'm talking like Kyle Katarn with moldy crow and recspec to back up Poe, but he also has a TLT and tons of focus to use with it. He can do some damage just as much as Poe can. But this support X-Wing with this title, or whatever it is won't be doing anything, and once Biggs is dead in turn 1 or 2, effectively only half of your list can actually fight. That's dangerous, and simply won't work. Your list will generally be more efficient without this title because then all of your ships will be dedicated to actually fighting.

3 ships have unlimited focus, one has unlimited stress... That's probably even better than Palpy... You can do this any required amount of times! If you get shot at 8 times, you can focus 8 times. Plus your ships can probably all shoot Focus/TL shots while you make one ship luck dependent and limit its maneuvers. Okay you can still go down with 2 evade dice on an X, but don't you realize how insanely powerful this would be?

It's in fact so strong that you would need to limit the range of it and the stress that a ship can take this way severely! Even the author of the original post admitted this a little above!

Edited by ForceM

So, for instance, you want to shoot Wedge, and wedge rolls an evade and an eyeball- so Hobbie takes a stress to save wedge. So you shoot wedge again, and Garven is there, saving wedge's tail. Next turn they do a 2 hard to clear stress, and get ready to do it all over again.

3 ships have unlimited focus, one has unlimited stress... That's probably even better than Palpy... You can do this any required amount of times! If you get shot at 8 times, you can focus 8 times. Plus your ships can probably all shoot Focus/TL shots while you make one ship luck dependent and limit its maneuvers. Okay you can still go down with 2 evade dice on an X, but don't you realize how insanely powerful this would be?

It's in fact so strong that you would need to limit the range of it and the stress that a ship can take this way severely! Even the author of the original post admitted this a little above!

Oh. Huh, i'll be honest, it's like 4 AM here, i didnt see that the original idea didnt have a "you may not do this if you're stressed" mechanic. I guess i saw the ability and my mind filled it in for me. That changes stuff. The primary weaknesses don't change, that being Aces, TLTs, and so on, but with the ability to use that whenever you want, that's different. You clearly won't need to care about being double stressed or anything because that ship is gonna stay stressed the entire game anyways. In fact, that's straight up overpowered as hell. You're completely right, being able to turn all focus results on every attack or defense in exchange for stress is ridiculously good. However, that does mean it requires not being able to do that if you're already stressed, and then it becomes not very good at all. It falls into the pitfalls i've already discussed.

Rakaydos, i'm absolutely awful at using Vassal, i would not be a good candidate for that. Without being able to glance down at physical maneuver templates my spacial awareness and my ability to predict where my ship ends up goes out the window, along with my cards. Not having physical contact with my opponent makes that difficult too; i played a vassal game where Captain Oicuun would collide with me, get a free action from dauntless, and then boost into me for another damage, and because i was so disoriented already, and didnt have easy access to my opponents cards, nor was i entirely aware that he was boosting until after i recollected the situation after the fact, did i understand that that's not how that works. I should have won that game, but it was 2 free damage every turn with a collision which was easy for him because my spacial awareness was non-existent. 

I read the first 6 pages... didn't realize it went 12 pages deep.

anyways, I'm hoping for an X T-65 and E model, black X and E repaints. I personally love the E wing and have always loved the X Wing but just dont' find them viable compared to other fighter builds.

Aside from including new pilots, title cards I think would be the big boon here. Include maybe 2-3 different title cards.

ie:

Title: StealthX - x points, add the cloak action to your action bar / T-65 X-Wing Only

Title: ReconX - x points, add the boost action to your action bar, increase agility value by 1 / T-65 X-Wing Only

Title: AdvancedX - 0 points, increase hull and shield values by 1 / T-65 X-Wing Only

I'm not sure what one would do for an E-Wing title card to make it more viable and work within "Legacy" canon.  What springs to mind for me seems very OP would be essentially a generic Astro for 0 points that gives you R2-D2 like abilities but you take a stress if you use the shield regen?

By Legends, the first versions of the Ewing were incapable of using R2, R3, R4, R5 or R6 droids.

In FFG's Age of Rebelion RPG, the R7 has several abilities that it loses when equipped in any fighter other than an Ewing. Allowing for the differences between an RPG and a minis game:

Galaxy Mapper makes it easier for the pilot the droid is helping to avoid dangerous terrain.

Hold Together lets the Ewing take hull damage as strain.

The simplest and most literal conversion of those abilities to Xwing Minis, I think, would be something like this:

Counterpart Integration

Ewing only, -2 points

If you have an astromech named R7 equipped,

you may ignore one critical result you receive

from an attack or obstacle each round.

Debris fields hold no fear, asteroids are less threatening.

Moreover, it improves the ability of the R7 generic slightly, turning a reroll-with-focus from a 1/4 chance per die to a 3/8 chance. And it makes getting through the Ewings 3 greens more difficult, as you have to do so without rolling any crits.

All you have to do is give up shield regeneration.

Edited by Rakaydos

I'd like to see Rogue Leader - T65 X Wing only unique title. All Rogue Squadron pilots can use your ability, and 3 Rogue Squadron pilot cards as well as integrated astromech cards x4.

For the e wing, it'd have to be something to reduce cost for the generics.

I'd like to see Rogue Leader - T65 X Wing only unique title. All Rogue Squadron pilots can use your ability, and 3 Rogue Squadron pilot cards as well as integrated astromech cards x4.

Garven and the everlasting Focus token. :o.

Never mind the rules headache Biggs is going to give people.  :P.

Garven and the everlasting Focus token. :o.

Never mind the rules headache Biggs is going to give people.  :P.

Yes, I had considered Biggs. It could have "except Biggs" added to the wording although when you think about it, if everyone is Biggs, then no one is Biggs and if the Rogue Squadron upgrade comes at a point cost, everlasting focus with Garven could become a thing - being a crack team of x wing pilots, they are probably good at focusing!

Wiredin, a couple things.....

The problem with the Recon X is that it doesnt have any weapons, no torps, and no laser cannons- since they were taken off due to shortcircuiting the sensor pod due to possible feedback, or energy output nearby.

So if you want a fighter in the game that has no Red Dice, and cant get any even with upgrades, no torps...then sure...but I cant see that being useful, other than maybe making t be able to do 2 target locks a turn and give them to friendlies within Range 1-3, so kinda like Katarn on the Hwk, but not focus.

The Stealth X in the books was a bad idea in general, it would have made more sense to just make a dedicated stealth vessel.

Plus in my opinion the Cloak action really shouldnt be a rebel thing. Empire only is nice, and then they gave it to scum, which is fine since there is a cost, its a upgrade, and it can short out.

Also your advanced idea with one extra hull and shield is way too good--that makes it better than a T-70, other than the boost part, which they can just then give it with a modification of engine Upgrade.

I agree that we should have the Ewing and Xwing in the box, and I agree titles should be the way to do it, but lets put some Rebellion era ones i for the xwing, and ones that can actually fight (so not the Recon), and just use the Title T-65B for something. As for the Ewing, somethign with its cannons or the R7 and a title that requires the R7 droids is best, and thematic.

Edited by knavelead

Oh and one more thing, why not make Rebel Veterans 3 ships, like the Most Wanted pack.... an Ewing, a T-65 X-wing, and a Y-wing. All three of course with alt paint jobs.

More pilots of course for the Ewing and Ywing, than the T-65. Though maybe a Rogue Squadron generic pilot (along the lines of the Royal Guard Interceptors-so PS5-6), and maybe Keyan Farlander, Corran, or Tycho in it,as well as Zev Senesca (from Empire Strikes Back) would be nice.

And a T-65B title, to go along wth them.

As for Ewing pilots, and Ywing pilots, more named ones for each and a fix for the Ewing in form of 2 titles (Series 1 and 4), maybe putting in the BTL-A4 title i nthe box would be nice for the Ywing too. But i'd love to see Tiree, and Pops in the box.