Sign in to follow this  
Stone37

Defender Titles - Is This Enough?

swx52-tie-x7.png

A -2 squad cost, loss of cannon/missile, and an evade on a 3, 4, or 5 maneuver.  That white K-turn is going to be that much more dangerous, but no help for those 1 and 2 red turns...

swx52-tie-d.png

This is a fix that many of us HAVE been talking about.  The new tractor beam and the ion cannon will be very nice fits on Defenders now.

Is this enough to save the Defender?  Is it still too expensive? 

At a base of 30 points, the Tie/D title was greatly needed!  I too am greatly pleased by the X7 title.  It would not have been enough to force the Defender into being a cannon platform.  The X7 title rewards a player for quickly zooming up and down the field (the strength of the Defender's dial).

As a HUGE fan of the Defender, I look forward to playing with these!

Which one is going to be more popular, do you think? As is the x7 seems better for aces, but the TIE/D will be used by everyone.

Current aces love the HLC though. TIE/D gives pretty comparable firepower to HLC (if you consider what the BTL-A4 title did for the Y-Wings) but saves a few points plus adds some control, so I think that'll be the one that Aces like more.

The TIE/x7's real strength is that you are better able to fit a Defender in a list that wasn't built around it from the beginning. Oh and then also the obvious bonus evade token part. But, that's more of a situational benefit anyways.

Which one is going to be more popular, do you think? As is the x7 seems better for aces, but the TIE/D will be used by everyone.

The TIE/D. Vessery is kind of bonkers with it. Though, still a big fan of HLC on Rexlar. 

The generics are going to be fun blockers with the X7, though. 

I don't like HLC on the aces because they are already too expensive!  I see myself using TIE/D for just about everything.  The X7 is great for builds that don't use a cannon and want to free up a few points for EPTs or other ships.  3 Delta's with 16 points for a 4th ship sounds like a lot of fun too!

NOOE!

That's why they gave us royal guards too :D

I wouldn't be surprised to NEVER see delta/onyx/Rex again

Vess is amazing, esp with tie/D

Tie/x7 + juke on the rgp defenders

Other defender characters I need to see

I dunno, /D with Ion cannons, get on their tail and never leave?

Yes that's vessery

TL both attacks!

The ONLY part that pains me is that the only currently usable variations (namely HLC vessery), got no buff whatsoever. Yes, they were already pretty good, but they weren't highly competitive. Do they need to be? No, not really, but it would have been nice to be able to get that HLC Defender a little nudge.

BUT- I think from a business stand point, it is extremely generous of FFG to do it this way. The fact that there isn't a title necessary for every decent build means that players who are new to the game and buy the Defender expansion are not instantly soured when they figure out their ship is garbage without that other, more expensive expansion. This hasn't been the case previously with the A-wing and Tie Advanced, so it's pleasant to see (although, I think both of those ships were nearly unusable without the titles/point reductions, so this might just be a corner case anyways).

Really excited to have another solid Juke platform with x7 Defenders. Can fit Colonel Vessery with x7 and twin ion engine in with VI Vader and Palpmobile. Vessery can move fast to get evade, focus for action, then attack Vader's target to get a target lock as well. That's a fully modified Juke shot... :D

Edited by Nhoj4

TIE/x7 and the TIE mk II modification. Who cares about cannons and missiles?

Now, if only we knew the cost of the Glaives...

I assume 34 points.  Cheaper than Vessery due to the lack of an ability, but I'd be surprised if they were 33 and just +1 for +3 PS over the Onyx.  This also leaves room for the Countess at 33 points.  Maarek fills the last spot at 36 points.