Sign in to follow this  
Engine25

Imperial Veterans Expansion

So it seems there's a crew card I'm calling "Systems Officer" which is Imperial only, and whose text is something like, "After you execute a maneuver, each other friendly ship at Range X that..." doesn't have such-and-such may do so-and-so.

Maybe, wingmates that do not have target locks may then perform free target lock actions.

Any other guesses?

Maarek with Ion Cannon and /D is probably good with Marksmanship. Ion Cannon fires for control/and or strip token/shield. Follow up primary shot dumps a critical into to target. Thanks to ionization, you get to run I'm close to rinse and repeat.

Stele and Rex with this setup are going to give ships nightmares.

There's also Thomas the Focus Engine: Thomas with Fleet Officer and Cool Hand, getting 3 focus tokens on 3 different ships (or 2 focus 1 evade)!

I also don't see a limit on the sum of points for crew, so I think you can take Fleet Officer and Mara Jade for maximum buff/debuff combo.

Also, Thomas can have a white 5-K. 'nuff said!

Holy... Wow. Nice find Chilligan!

If the PS7 Defender Pilot isn't Maarek Steele I will eat my hat. However if it *is*, I'd put money on Tycho Celchu in an X-Wing in the inevitable Rebel Veterans.

Tomas Bren (the shown Bomber Pilot) also looks amazing with crack shot.

Super exciting.  Steele in the Defender alone pretty much commits me to running some Defenders again.  Shame the Mangler Cannon is 4 points though for completely fair reasons.  Probably keeps him from the top slot unless he gets a new ability though.

Good point. I didn't think about the fact that neither title will let him have the "Mangler." So, is the "Mangler" good enough on him without either of these titles? I'm not sure.

Would have been an issue, once. With Calculation out there now though, I'm not so sure.

Maarek with Calculation, x7 and Twin Ion will come in at his printed price. That's almost certain to be a good deal while he spends his focus tokens on forcing crits. :)

There's also Thomas the Focus Engine: Thomas with Fleet Officer and Cool Hand, getting 3 focus tokens on 3 different ships (or 2 focus 1 evade)!

I also don't see a limit on the sum of points for crew, so I think you can take Fleet Officer and Mara Jade for maximum buff/debuff combo.

Also, Thomas can have a white 5-K. 'nuff said!

Holy... Wow. Nice find Chilligan!

And now I just noticed why everyone kept calling him Tomax... oops.

He's also built for the future, Alex Davy seemed to quite like one-time use powerful EPT cards, it's very likely we're going to see more of these.

Kind of sad they didn't fix Rhymer with this expansion. Could have just thrown him in there at 23 points.

That's not how they fix things.  I suspect, if anything, the Adv Homing Missile was the intended Rhymer fix.

That, and we still don't know what Guidance Chips are going to do. If they let him do things like change blanks/eyeballs into hits, then that's a solid bump for him.

I can't speak from a math perspective but for awhile I flew a very fun Carnor/Defender list:

Carnor's Light Cavalry - 99

Carnor Jax - 31

PTL - 3

Autothrusters - 2

Delta Squadron - 34 x 2

Ion Cannon - 3

Twin Ion Engine Mk II - 1

It wasn't necessarily competitive but when the dice were with you the list was incredibly tough to crack. If you ignore Carnor, bad things happen as he slips behind you and leaves you vulnerable. If you ignore ion cannon toting defenders, you're in for a bad time as they lock down your maneuvers and shepherd you off the board. The only real downside was damage output. The list really struggled with swarms and some of the Aces lists could just out damage the defenders.

Now, with it's damage output doubled, I'm thinking Carnor's Cavalry is coming back with vengeance :)

Kind of sad they didn't fix Rhymer with this expansion. Could have just thrown him in there at 23 points.

That's not how they fix things.  I suspect, if anything, the Adv Homing Missile was the intended Rhymer fix.

That, and we still don't know what Guidance Chips are going to do. If they let him do things like change blanks/eyeballs into hits, then that's a solid bump for him.

Ooo, free hits on blanks? That would be super fun. Rhymer isn't competitive yet but he's at least scary now with Adv Homing Missiles on the field. Add something awesome like our theoretical guidance chips and I get a warm fuzzy feeling insider :)

Most of this is awesomeness, but I am particularly happy about the two-shot ion defender and the crack bomber. Without munitions it is a solid 25-point ship (its ability on krak is quite similar to a 3-dice attack), and further options like tactician or ion missiles on top of that  are worth considering. 

I can't speak from a math perspective but for awhile I flew a very fun Carnor/Defender list:

Carnor Jax - 31

PTL - 3

Autothrusters - 2

Delta Squadron - 34 x 2

Ion Cannon - 3

It wasn't necessarily competitive but when the dice were with you the list was incredibly tough to crack. If you ignore Carnor, bad things happen as he slips behind you and leaves you vulnerable. If you ignore ion cannon toting defenders, you're in for a bad time as they lock down your maneuvers and shepherd you off the board. The only real downside was damage output. The list really struggled with swarms and some of the Aces lists could just out damage the defenders.

Now, with it's damage output doubled, I'm thinking Carnor's Cavalry is coming back with vengeance :)

More than doubled. Those 3 red dice won't be screwing around on their second shot. You'll either tag them with ion while they hold tokens to brace against your primary, or they'll burn tokens to stop the ion and be wide open for the main guns. Not every time, but enough that you can expect a bigger increase in damage than mere doubling.

Carnor Jax - 31

PTL - 3

Autothrusters - 2

Delta Squadron - 34 x 2

Ion Cannon - 3

More than doubled. Those 3 red dice won't be screwing around on their second shot. You'll either tag them with ion while they hold tokens to brace against your primary, or they'll burn tokens to stop the ion and be wide open for the main guns. Not every time, but enough that you can expect a bigger increase in damage than mere doubling.

Exactly. And what makes it really potent is how the defenders no longer have to choose between control and damage. Like you said, for small based ships the threat of ion cannons is enough to make it worth defending against, leaving them open to regular shots. Any bad-choice situations I can engineer with a single ship will always be a win in my book. In fact, a defender could potentially go toe-to-toe with TLT y-wings! Not a whole bunch at once and it's still a tough matchup but that 1 agility really hates multiple shots AND ion cannons.

On a slight tangent, has anyone else seen bwings basically disappear since TLTs arrived? And now we have another combo tailor made to punish agility 1 ships and I wonder if we'll look back on Wave 3-5 with fondness....

(not really but it's interesting to see how things have shifted since Wave 7s release)

Ion Defenders should be fairly strong against TLT Y-Wings. Get behind one, ion it, and it will never escape. Alternate banks to stay behind it. The high health and strong agility of the Defender should help it endure the wrath of the other Y-Wings, and you have other ships that can pour it on either the ion target or another ship as needed.

I wonder if any of these are the cards suggested by the world champion.

Alex Davy said on stream after the end of the World's match that we'd see the card for 2014 somewhere in Wave 8, if I'm not mistaken.