Sign in to follow this  
sozin

Scum and Villainy 22: Four Imperials Walk into a Bar

Kelvin Tiberius, Sable Gryphon, Antigrapist, sozin and the elusive joyNvengeance discuss the Force Awakens, review the new Tie Fighter Pilots and the first half of the Ghost Expansion spoilers, compare notes on the best Imperial watering holes for hipster Tie Fighter pilots, and talk about the podcast's new Patreon campaign.

Shownotes:

This podcast includes parts of the song “March” by Dirt Monkey, available under aCreative Commons Attribution 3.0 license.

Podcast: Play in new window | Download

I haven't been able to download the last few episodes. Will this problem ever get fixed?

I've really enjoyed this show in the past so I'm kind of unhappy about giving it up. (WiFi's not an option because I listen to podcasts on my commute.)

It's been like that for months for me too. 

I haven't been able to download the last few episodes. Will this problem ever get fixed?

I've really enjoyed this show in the past so I'm kind of unhappy about giving it up. (WiFi's not an option because I listen to podcasts on my commute.)

What do you use to listen to podcasts? I haven't had an interruption in downloads. FWIW I use a 3rd party podcast player on iPhone (Overcast).

I've tried everything I can and it hasn't seemed to work. Until TC fix their site and update the PowerPress plug-in, I can't really do much. I could give you an alternative RSS feed that doesn't touch TC at all if you wanted to try that?

I get my feed through the iOS podcast app and have never had a problem.

I also use iOS Podcasts. It works fine for wifi streaming, but I can't download this one particular podcast for some reason. I try it and it gives me an error message. Downloads used to work for S&V, and it continues to work just fine for all the other podcasts I listen to. So who knows...?

Maybe I'll try Overcast as recommended above.

I get my feed through the iOS podcast app and have never had a problem.

I also use iOS Podcasts. It works fine for wifi streaming, but I can't download this one particular podcast for some reason. I try it and it gives me an error message. Downloads used to work for S&V, and it continues to work just fine for all the other podcasts I listen to. So who knows...?

Maybe I'll try Overcast as recommended above.

I've been having the same issue with native podcast app for months. I've stopped mentioning it as they know but cannot fix it. I just download it to my Mercury browser on my iPad and listen to it that way during my commute. 

Can you guys use time stamps so that those of us that don't wanna listen to the diatribe about your prequel hatred can just skip it to get to the real content ? Or just not waste your time hating on the prequels. 

It's never a waste of time to hate on the prequels.

Can you guys use time stamps so that those of us that don't wanna listen to the diatribe about your prequel hatred can just skip it to get to the real content ? Or just not waste your time hating on the prequels. 

It's never a waste of time to hate on the prequels.

Yes it is. They are not going away, get over it, move on. 

MATH!

I just got to the part in the show where you are talking about Jon's 4 A-wing list, and wondering if Hull Upgrade is better than Stealth Device.

Calculating the durability of PtL is tricky because you get that free evade every round (assuming turtle focus + evade), so it doesn't fit into my traditional jousting method. Thankfully, you're in luck, because I recently updated my methodology to include action economies and 1 free evade per round.

The more difficult thing to calculate is how much Stealth Device is worth, because once it's gone, it's gone. So I did an approximation, and considered 2/3+SD/2/2 to be equal to...

30% of 2/4/2/2 + PtL

plus

70% of 2/3/2/2 + PtL

That should be a reasonable approximation. Here's what I get for durabilities normalized to a Z-95:

2/3/2/2          1.33

2/3/2/2   + PtL  2.07

2/3SD/2/2 + PtL  2.36 (70% @3 AGI, 30% @4 AGI)

2/3/3/2   + PtL  2.50 (Jon's build)

2/4/2/2   + PtL  3.04 (fictitious permanent 4 AGI, only used for SD approximation)

Maybe a 70/30 spit doesn't actually reflect reality. You can work it backwards and figure out how much time you would need to spend at 4AGI (as a percentage of incoming shots) to break even with Hull Upgrade (Jon's 2.50 number): 

x = (2.5-2.07)/(3.04-2.07) = 0.44.

So, for Stealth Device to be as good as hull upgrade, the A-wing needs to be at 4AGI for about 45% of the shots that comes its way. It's possible, but I'm guessing (without REALLY spending days digging into it), that Hull Upgrade is better. One thing is for certain though, and that is that Hull Upgrade will be more reliable. I think Jon has the right idea going for Hull over Stealth.

My difference of opinion is that I would rather drop Wingman [edit: and Hull Upgrade] and have 5 PtL Greens. I think the extra ship is better than keeping the dial wide-open even after K-turns, but then I haven't really flown it myself.

Edited by MajorJuggler

Thanks guys for giving us an opportunity to help support you on Patreon.  Done.  

Glad to hear the comments on the Green Arrow list after having recently gone through the thread.  Still need two more A-Wings to field it, but still looking forward to it myself.

Good news!

Thanks to the generous donations of Grayfax and Baron Tito and the dreaded Wereplatypus, we can now ... upgrade our hosting service! THANK YOU!

Good call (on the timestamps).  Re: hatin' ... I guess I'll see where I am on Friday morning at 1 am ...

Edited by sozin