Sign in to follow this  
Crouton8439

Can you use characters from other rule books

You can.  All three base games were designed to be completely compatible.

You can start off as a Fringer (EotE), become a Pilot (from AoR's Ace), then get trained up as an assassin and sent to kill your dad by your own mental delusions (Ataru Striker, from FaD's Seeker).

Edited by Col. Orange

You certainly can, and I'd encourage you to check out the talent trees from all books.  The only thing you and your group might want to iron out is whether you are using Obligation, Duty, or Morality (or a combination of them.)

Don't believe these other guys! There are laws against mingling your Star Wars games and FFG has an entire legion of the Emperor's best troo...

Oh, they were killed and eaten by Ewoks?

Never mind. Mix away!

Just check with your GM. I don't really allow careers outside of EotE in my game. I'm not adding Jedi and I think most of the AoR careers are designed around military affiliations. I have to admit, though, that limiting their career choices is my futile effort to curb my minmaxing players from going full donut hole...

Yeah you want to mix! See that Smuggler - Pilot over there with his own YT-2000? He would be so happy if he could get the Specialization Rigger tree from AoR, because then he could coat his signature vehicle in a fancy paintshop and work on it's maaneuvering thrusters.

My own EotE char is a Corellian Human Colonist - Marshal with Gunslinger from the Smuggler career and Hotshot from the AoR Ace career.

Since our merry band in Ep IV were careers from all three CRBs seems like you're not being true to the universe if you don't allow all 3 to be used.

I've already admitted I'm playing in an alternate universe so I'm ok with this.

YMMV! If you are having fun, you're doing it right.

Yep.  The three core books are 'independent', meaning that you don't have to have all three of them to run a game.  They each contain the core mechanics required for a game of SW.  But they are also 'interchangeable', in that you can pick races and specializations from any one that you want.  As a player, go nuts.
The only real issue is going to be on the GM to keep track of obligations, morality, duty, and such.  Each core set has a 'background system', for lack of a better term, that helps define the character.  In Edge of the Empire, its obligation.  How much do you owe to whom, and who has the 'goods' on you to do what they want.  Age of Rebellion uses Duty to the rebellion as the driving force for your character.  Force and Destiny uses Morality to track how Light or Dark your character is.  The Force and Destiny rulebook has a write-up on how the GM can use one, two, or all three background systems in their game.

If you are player, having all of the core books gives you lots of options to make your character unique.  As a GM, be ready to do some paperwork.

sorry i'm new to the star wars rpg but can you mix and charcters and classes from the other games 

That's a terrible idea. I think a 12th level Cleric from D&D would be a poor fit in a Star Wars game.

Right until you run into zombies.........then you'd change your tune.............

Zombies... Tale from a game side track. Playing Star Wars and entered an old tomb. One of the coffins moved and someone inside sat up. Before the GM could finish the description and the dialogue I loudly announced that I shoot whoever it was that sat up. The rest of the players gave me looks of disbelief that I didn't at least see what/who was in the coffin. To which I explained: If this was D&D I'd wait and see if it was friendly or evil, but dead things aren't supposed to move in Star Wars. The GM had to think quick on his feet because I killed a ghost/zombie type thing that was supposed to give us some information. A 12th level Cleric would've been handy that day...

Back on topic. I agree with the above. As long as the GM says it's cool, then you can mix and match between the three FFG Star Wars games. I will caution that this might result in a lopsided character or some powerful combinations from being able to get more ranks in a rankable talent than might be intended by a single system. Our doctor got so good at the doctoring abilities by mixing Medic and Doctor that we never feared getting hurt. But if the GM is cool with it, then be awesome.