Sign in to follow this  
Waterscorpion

Bossk Pilot and Emperor Palpatine Interaction

We were playing a game of epic earlier where we had two rebel players vs a team with a scum player and an imperial player.  Emperor Palpatine was on the raider, and Bossk was piloting a YV-666.  The player playing Bossk attacked with their primary attack at range 2, rolling 3 red (blank, hit, hit).  They used Palp to change the blank to a crit, and since there was only one evade rolled, the attack was a hit. 

Can Bossk's ability be used to cancel the crit, provided by Palp, creating two hits, even though Palp says the die can't be modified again?  Is canceling dice considered modification?  There was much debate, but we couldn't find any other examples of this situation.

Thoughts?...and thanks ahead of time!

Edited by Waterscorpion

As for Palpatine and Bossk, canceling is not the same as modify, so it works.

There's a few things you might want to look out for when playing games like this, namely interaction between ships on the same side but used by different players. They make an effort to balance the factions against each other. But they probably can't balance two factions cherry picking the best parts that have synergy with other faction.

I would play these games two ways, either each side counts as one force, but both players on a team must use the same faction.

Or both players on a team can use any faction, but can't count their partner's ships as friendly for any game effect that helps friendly ships.

In this 2nd style, both players on a team could use Empire, but Howlrunner won't give rerolls to Empire pilots that aren't part of her squadron.

Even this might mot be good enough. Poe Dameron can probably survive for a while against a range 3 TIE Swarm, but not when Palob Godalhi boosts into range 2 and steals his focus token away.

But if you guys are fine with the crazy situations that might pop up when Jonus offers rerolls to a Z-95 swarm, go for it.

Edited by Vulf

As has been previously stated, the Bossk pilot ability doesn't trigger until after all dice have been cancelled and you have determined if the attack was a hit or not.

For your attack you rolled hit, hit, blank. The Emeror changed the blank to a crit. The defender rolled an evade which cancelled one of the two hit results. The attack has therefore "hit" and left an uncancelled hit and crit result. At this stage Bossk can change the uncancelled crit into 2 hits for a grand total of 3 hits. Deal 3 damage to the defender.

We were playing a game of epic earlier where we had two rebel players vs a team with a scum player and an imperial player.  Emperor Palpatine was on the raider, and Bossk was piloting a YV-666.  The player playing Bossk attacked with their primary attack at range 2, rolling 3 red (blank, hit, hit).  They used Palp to change the blank to a crit, and since there was only one evade rolled, the attack was a hit. 

Can Bossk's ability be used to cancel the crit, provided by Palp, creating two hits, even though Palp says the die can't be modified again?  Is canceling dice considered modification?  There was much debate, but we couldn't find any other examples of this situation.

Thoughts?...and thanks ahead of time!

The answer is yes, because all modification takes place BEFORE the attack hits.  Bossk takes place AFTER the attack hits.  So, the Emperor converts a crit and cackles maniacally, the attack hits, and then Bossk converts to two hits and hisses with satisfaction.

Kinda wish this combo was actually legal now...

Edited by Engine25

Thanks, everyone.  This is how I interpreted the situation as well, although I couldn't find a way to prove it via other examples or rules/FAQ.  I was the Scum player, and was also the one controlling the raider, since my Imperial friend had never played epic before.

This was definitely a casual game.  It was the first time two of the four friends had played epic.  The funny thing is, we copied this format from an epic match two of us attended earlier this year, which was hosted at PAX Prime by FFG.  It was Rebel vs Imperial, and any Scum players would fill in on either side thematically as "hired guns".  I had assumed this was how the epic match went at Worlds as well - does anyone know if they had even players for the factions there?

Obviously some crazier, non-standard interactions can happen, but I didn't think we were too off-base for doing it that way since FFG had hosted the same thing earlier.  Outside of that, our group of friends each only focus on a single faction, so we wouldn't have been able to do a pure Scum or pure Imperial side, unfortunately.

It's definitely a good thing to keep in mind in the future, though, and may require creating some house-rules for the format.

I wasn't there, but from the various podcast recaps it sounded like there was no faction-mixing on the same team at worlds.

For the original question, as others have stated correctly, cancelling is not modifying.

I haven't played mixed factions yet, but I think the more broken combos may be Imp+Rebel (Jonus+Esege following a raider around sounds good), Scum doesn't have a lot of 'help each other' abilities.

I really like the idea of more crazy formats like faction mixing but there are a ton of people vehemently opposed to it.

As for on topic sure dice you can use emperor in the attacker modifies red dice or defender modifies green dice steps and other modification in any order. Emperor will modify a blank into a crit and bosk will cancel the crit into 2 hit results.