Sign in to follow this  
Darkcloak

This may have been a long time coming...

So apparently GL went and botched his movies up again?  Yeesh!

How many times are we gonna alter scenes?

Anyways, here it is.  I guess I kinda forgot about this but something made me remember.  In 1977 Han Solo shot first.  That's how it went.  Does it make Han a cold blooded killer?  Well, no.  Dude was about to get shot, you think he is just gonna sit there?  I always wondered at that, why the hell didn't Greedo just vape him?  I mean, that's a pretty dumb move letting your mark get one up on ya like that.  Greedo wasn't going to take Han in, he was going to shoot him!  Tell me, how does this sound like an invitation to return to Jabba?

"I've been waiting to kill you for a long time, Solo"

Does that sound like anything other than getting shot in the face is an option?  Okay, maybe the groin...  Anyways!  The point is...

...  Han shot first.  It's a fact.  You better shoot first if a Rodian has you at blaster point...

(Sorry, I know I'm like 15 years too late, but hey...  )

Edited by Darkcloak

I've never completely understood the whole Han shot first thing.  Han shot, Greedo didn't.  There was no second shot.

In the original, unedited, un-GeorgeLucased version, Han shot and Greedo didn't. In the special edition, George added a shot from Greedo. Thus the whole HAN SHOT FIRST debacle.

Well at least now George can't do any more damage to the films.

I know it's a little late, but like I said, I just remembered that SE was a thing.  Its amazing how well the human mind can erase itself in times of crisis.  I literally had no idea he had redone the movies so many times...

But I have to wonder... why do some people insist that Greedo shot first?  Are they unaware?

Bigger question, why is it a moral dilemma and why can't we talk to our kids about what they see on TV?  Don't want Han to look like a cold hearted killer?  Oh gee I dunno maybe explain to your kid whats going on and why?  Nah, screw it!  We will just complain until the image of Leia in her metal bikini becomes taboo and Disney edits that out. 

Han was a bit of a cold-blooded killer at the start. That's part of what the scene is about.

His journey from callous scoundrel to caring hero is one of the best arcs in the original trilogy.

The whole Special Edition re-edit robbed him of that journey.

Edited by Democratus

But I have to wonder... why do some people insist that Greedo shot first?  Are they unaware?

In the last iteration of "remasters" of the original trilogy, it was edited so that Greedo fires a round first, and then Han fires back.

Edited by daveddo

The 1993 Laserdisc box set is the only way to go.

George Lucas also ruined THX 1138 with a special edition. Tape or Laserdisc for this movie too.

Video quality on Laserdiscs is okay. More than watchable.

Ha!  Yeah I read that bit about THX-1138 and was like really?  Why?  No-one ever saw that film in the first place!  Silly GL...

George Lucas also ruined THX 1138 with a special edition. Tape or Laserdisc for this movie too.

Ha!  Yeah I read that bit about THX-1138 and was like really?  Why?  No-one ever saw that film in the first place!  Silly GL...

Given that GL made billions from his movies, I'd say that he's entitled to make a change or two to the movies he's made.

Given that GL made billions from his movies, I'd say that he's entitled to make a change or two to the movies he's made.

It's not that he changes his movies, it's that he changes them and refuses to release the original versions. When you want to acquire Blade Runner on DVD/Blu-Ray you have the option to get the theatrical version. You're not forced to buy it on Laserdisc or VHS to get it.

I don't really mind being forced to buy Laserdiscs because they're ******* sweet, but I'm the only person that holds this view lol.