Sign in to follow this  
Tirnaog

House Rules!

Was just wondering what different house rules you may have added to your X-Wing games?

One we are trying out is:
Asteroids:
Small games {50pts} Roll d4 for number of asteroids. Each player places 1 starting with init player.
Bigger Games {100pts} Roll d6.
EPIC games {200pts or more} Roll d10.

At start of each player turn each asteroid moves 1 D6 direction.
1/6 = Straight, 2 = Tight right, 3 = sleight right, 4 = tight Left, 5 = sleight left.
If they hit a ship roll 1 damage dice.
If they hit an asteroid/s each rolls to move again.
If they hit edge their gone.

So ye got any good ones?

The main thing that distinguishes "hobby games" from mass market "family games" is that hobby games encourage players to create house rules and to do there own thing.

In x-wing, trench run scenarios, hoth type ground battles, alternate obstacle types and, of course, the incredibly successful "heroes of the Aturi Cluster" campaign are all popular sets of house rules.

We have one house rule at the shop.  Play the game exactly how it' designed.  It's mostly to dissuade people from coming up with house rules.

God forbid other people should be having fun doing their own thing, right?

Hey, if you wanna play with house rules... play at home.

I run a club out of a game shop and I plan on joining Organized Play, we're halfway there already.  We give away prizes weekly to foster a competitive environment and we strive to get players up to speed on the rules and proper gameplay, so introducing our own rules is actually quite damaging to that goal.  If we allow players to play house rules on club night then what is the point?  Prizes cost money, if you want to earn one, you have to prove your skill at Fantasy Flight Games Star Wars X-Wing Miniatures Game.  There are no prizes for being good at John Does Homestyle X-Wing Scramble.   

Edited by Darkcloak

We have one house rule at the shop. Play the game exactly how it' designed. It's mostly to dissuade people from coming up with house rules.

I run a club out of a game shop and I plan on joining Organized Play, we're halfway there already. We give away prizes weekly to foster a competitive environment and we strive to get players up to speed on the rules and proper gameplay, so introducing our own rules is actually quite damaging to that goal. If we allow players to play house rules on club night then what is the point? Prizes cost money, if you want to earn one, you have to prove your skill at Fantasy Flight Games Star Wars X-Wing Miniatures Game. There are no prizes for being good at John Does Homestyle X-Wing Scramble.

Why do you feel that players are incapable of playing custom scenarios and then playing the standard game the next time?

Also, where are you managimg the community? Just curious so that I know what store to never play at.

Edited by Rapture

When playing a game, all participants should agree on the rules being used and know them in advance.

In a casual game, the participants are the two (or however many) players playing that specific game and it is nobody's business except theirs what rules they play their game with.

In a store organized tournament that is not part of FFGs supported world league, the participants are all of the people playing in the tournament and the TO can institute whatever house rules he wants as long as all the players know what's what.

In a store championship using FFG prize support and leading to regionals and worlds, the participants are everybody in the world playing in that tournament season and FFGs tournament rules have to be used.

Note, that the official tourney rules are DIFFERENT than the base core rules. They are, in effect, the house rules that FFG, as the tournament organizer, has settled on for their tournaments.

If I go to a store and am playing a game with a friend and we decided to Playtest my alternate terrain rules and someone comes up and says we can't do that because "We have one house rule at the shop. Play the game exactly how it' designed." I'm going to tell them "tough S#!t". If someone says "were running a tournament tonight, want to play in it", I'll say, "cool, what's the registration fee and what tourney rules are we using?"

Edited by Forgottenlore

We have one house rule at the shop.  Play the game exactly how it' designed.  It's mostly to dissuade people from coming up with house rules.

I run a club out of a game shop and I plan on joining Organized Play, we're halfway there already.  We give away prizes weekly to foster a competitive environment and we strive to get players up to speed on the rules and proper gameplay, so introducing our own rules is actually quite damaging to that goal.  If we allow players to play house rules on club night then what is the point?  Prizes cost money, if you want to earn one, you have to prove your skill at Fantasy Flight Games Star Wars X-Wing Miniatures Game.  There are no prizes for being good at John Does Homestyle X-Wing Scramble.   

I don't think anyone is suggesting that house rules be used all the time.  Tournaments and competitive play will obviously require a uniform format and set of rules.

The point being made here is that when not playing in a tournament (which for many players is the majority of their games), variations on the standard rules can add interesting twists and nuances to the game.

If you don't like house rules, then don't use them.

TLTs cost 7 instead of 6, and boost is nerfed for large base ships (reducing distance moved). We use a 4 straight for boosting forward (placed along the side of the ship base), and a 1 bank that is placed on the outer edge of the front of the base. Both allow big ships to be much more fair when boosting. TLT is nerfed because it is a point undercosted (arguably 2 points undercosted) for its damage output, and it doesn't need to be as good since large base ships' boost is nerfed.

We have one house rule at the shop. Play the game exactly how it' designed. It's mostly to dissuade people from coming up with house rules.

I run a club out of a game shop and I plan on joining Organized Play, we're halfway there already. We give away prizes weekly to foster a competitive environment and we strive to get players up to speed on the rules and proper gameplay, so introducing our own rules is actually quite damaging to that goal. If we allow players to play house rules on club night then what is the point? Prizes cost money, if you want to earn one, you have to prove your skill at Fantasy Flight Games Star Wars X-Wing Miniatures Game. There are no prizes for being good at John Does Homestyle X-Wing Scramble.

Why do you feel that players are incapable of playing custom scenarios and then playing the standard game the next time?

Also, where are you managimg the community? Just curious so that I know what store to never play at.

Send me a face pic so I know not to let you in?

Did I say that players weren't allowed to use house rules?  Well, I did didn't I.  If you came to the shop and wanted to play MLP-Wing that would be a-okay.  Just don't expect to do it on club night. 

Darkcloak, where are you located? I have a suspicion that this argument is more based on differences in concept of game clubs and stores.

Did I say that players weren't allowed to use house rules?

You said,

Indicating it was a rule you (and others) were enforcing on anyone playing a game in the store you go to (you didn't say "my shop", which would have at least implied the possibility that you were the owner).

So, yes, you did say that the people at the table next to you were not allowed to play the game the way they wanted to.

House rules we have used at our store (you can look up most of these):

Furball rules with 30 point ships, 25 point ships, 40 point ships, 6/12/18 obstacles on a 3x3

Hunger games furball rules

Cross faction 59 point fleets, faction restrictions removed, minimum 2 ships of differing factions

Epic with fleet requirements and objectives

50 point small ships only dogfight

We have also done many games with more obstacles, because FLYING!

And soon...  Racing around a 3x3 mario kart style!  Thinking of 40 point ships, saw someone do it with pole position being the one with least build points and moving backwards from there.  Can't wait to try some more formats.  

And yes, we play "competitively" too.  Usually during store champs and regionals we focus more on 100 point dogfighting, but still loosely mix in those other formats above.

Hell, tomorrow I'm TO-ing a "house rule" tournament mixing 3 formats.  And I expect 30+ people!  It will even be on Backtodials twitch feed. 

Edited by jonnyd

wow, didn't think I would start a big argument.

Should have, I guess, stated that this was based on friendly games not Tournament types.

Was just wonder what interesting things people might have come up with.

:(

Sorry for my part in this. For what it's worth, I like reading what house rules other players use.

Darkcloak your ability to read is very poor. The OP said,"Was just wondering what different house rules you may have added to your X-Wing games?"

His post was to see what other players are doing to change up the game. There is no mention of a desire to change the game.

Your posts show me that you have control issues. Sorry Darkcloak you cannot control everyone.

P.S. I would love to come to your game night. PM me.

Darkcloak, where are you located? I have a suspicion that this argument is more based on differences in concept of game clubs and stores.

Did I say that players weren't allowed to use house rules?

You said,

Indicating it was a rule you (and others) were enforcing on anyone playing a game in the store you go to (you didn't say "my shop", which would have at least implied the possibility that you were the owner).

So, yes, you did say that the people at the table next to you were not allowed to play the game the way they wanted to.

Well as club president I do get to enforce those rules.  I'm pretty hard case too, power went right to my head.  I make em roll for that asteroid collision every time!  Even if it was only a "wittul bump". 

I'm bad.

Okay, yeesh whatever.  I'm sorry.  You asked what house rules we use.  That's the one.  We're a new club and we play it by the book, that's the house rule.  Didn't think I'd get lynched for it.

... Mind you I didn't think I'd get called a thief for exercising my rights as a consumer but hey, thems' the evade dice...

Okay, yeesh whatever.  I'm sorry.  You asked what house rules we use.  That's the one.  We're a new club and we play it by the book, that's the house rule.  Didn't think I'd get lynched for it

You didn't say anything about a club until your second post, you said at the shop, a public place. Your first post also didn't say anything about only specific nights. Your first post indicated that the store you played at enforced tournament style only games every day on everybody who walked in the door. "Nobody is allowed to play anything but tourney style games in the store I go to" is very different from "I run a club that's trying to build a competitive scene so on club nights we only play by strict tourney rules. "

You also didn't say where your located. The concept of game clubs is very different between the US and Europe/Britain and I'm very curious if that is playing into this at all.

Edited by Forgottenlore

wow, didn't think I would start a big argument.

Should have, I guess, stated that this was based on friendly games not Tournament types.

Was just wonder what interesting things people might have come up with.

:(

I feel for ya, but I'm pretty sure you could post "X-wing is awesome!" and you would start an argument on here.

Back on topic, we don't really house rule much, but we have an unspoken suggestion that both sides should use epic ships in epic play. The normal rules are well balanced, but I'm sure if we ever get bored with 'by the book' play, we'll house rule some stuff.

Straight FFG rules at the store (only exception is allowing the debris from the raider in games.) At home we bump Epic point caps around as we see fit and a lot of times in regard to epic we let you set one dial for a cluster until the first round of combat to save on time. I think it helps just a little bit.