Sign in to follow this  
DWRR

The Armada Community Painting Thread - Keep your pictures here! Keep 'em visible!

^ I'm thinking of just keeping the squadrons as canon as I can...I might do a green X-wing for Corran Horn...my favorite of the EU!

That....that Interdictor...it's....pulling me in....I wants it precious...

When they had one in Tarkin and it pulled a Mon Cal out and destroyed it....wow...

Edited by Gottmituns205

Eisai, you know I've seen the repainted measuring devices (click-stix) before, but I don't think I've seen coloured punchouts for them. Hmm, very cool. Dials look good too. How do they wear? Primer, any rubbing or the like? I like the high-vis nature of them. Helps when you're playing in a dank store, or a fire-lit garage.

The punchouts are actually just the ones that came with the measurement devices. I simply left them in, primed over them and painted over them before putting the decals on.

The Imperial dials have had essentially zero problem, which is interesting, as that's what I play most. The Rebel ones had some issues when I was making them (I don't remember exactly what happened, but I know I had to paint over several of the decals to fix things), and are not wearing as well -- I made 9 of each faction, and the three Rebel ones I posted are the ones in the best shape. Pretty much all of the others have primer showing through and are in need of touchup.

Alright, I guess I'll start with a bit of a peace offering for being so absent.  X-wing stuff calls.  WIP of something I need to get done right quick for a game.

5me6j4.jpg

The model is seriously cool, but the thick trenches make getting at the lights excruciatingly difficult.  And lights are basically all I really need to do.  That and the name: Astral Claw or Siren.  Still stuck on that.  C'est la vie.

I ended up using a toothpick, with one dip per light for my Intradictor, but I seriously considered getting a hypodermic needle to save time. I would post pics, but it was one of my first Shapeways purchases, before I realized FUD was worth the extra cost.

So Red and Blue squadrons, with one hero green, Gottmituns? Could certainly be cool (ponders if any other squadron shows up in the Canon stuff, even games or the like).

-laughs- I'm give'n her all she's got Cap'n but we cannae break away! Updated the Interdictor, Siren is now 'operational'. Good thing too as I'll need her this afternoon. I'm going to have to read Tarkin now. Gah, that Mk.I tisn't fair! Utar does have some pretty great detail going on with these things but they can be finicky.

Hmm, that's a little surprising, Eisai.  I'd have suspected the darker and more prominent Imperial black would have chipped first. Hmmm.  I may have to experiment with it, but I was concerned that it would have to be sanded for the decals to adhere to the surface. I may have to try it, but then I'll have to figure out a decal, vinyl, etc. Still exceptionally cool.

Thanks Lord Taraq, those comics so often did have some great work in them so it means a lot :) You know, before Armada I would never have thought to paint metal any colour but 'metal', with the usual paints. It's feels genuinely weird to do it any other way these days.

You know Cynan, a hypodermic needle might really work for this.  It certainly would help get the size and consistency down.  Could really be on to something there, mate!  Toothpick I tried at first, but the paint keeps gumming up the end and tends to make the widows weirdly sized. I had a frustrating time with paint adhesion on that Interdictor, so I actually had to sand the sides down. It didn't want to offload onto the cruiser: I'm cursed with snobby paint that has to have the surface 'just so'. It's still not my best, but better than nothing I guess.

Interdictor is done (and above) but todays will be some Z-95 'X-wings'. Utar's on the left, Mel's on the right, both pretty awesome. All just in prep for some 'authentic' Armada stuff in the next week or so.

2d3y45.jpg

"Those darn rebels....showing up unexpected...two galactic days early!"

I am going to have so...so....so much fun with this one. It'll be a tricked out gunship (Mk 2 A)

12974394_1156493847694038_52615759779122

Where did you get it?!?! Last I checked, the only place with that style (Utar Ships) said that it was no longer avaible.  If it is, or there is another place, PLEASE TELL ME!!!

Update: Well, got the Siren finished. More and more tempted to put some little marking on it but what that would be, I haven't a clue.

1zl998x.jpg

You nailed the windows BmcDonald, naaaailed it. It came out awesome. Well done mate! And the scythe is still cool :P I have a ton of these weird reverse details for it. Squares with the middle scythe there. Tis crazy. Promising work on the Avenger, can't wait to see it all done up!

Great work on Siren! You are an expert at getting the blue glow of the windows just right. I'm using the GW blue glaze but I still feel it looks a little too pastel sometimes. Thank you for the compliment Vykes. I pretty much have just been trying to copy your window work so all the credit goes to you.

I'm almost done with my 3rd ISD Avenger. I still need to finish up the engines and main hanger bay but so far I really like how she turned out. I still think my edge highlighting of panels needs some work and I may add some kind of darker back highlight to some panels but I'm kind of afraid of messing it up going too dark. The windows came out pretty solid but I wish it had a little more of a blue glow in some parts.

IMG_5542_zpsm6ttwxob.jpg

Edited by BMcDonald7

Try a very light drybrushing to extend the glow onto nearby panels. That Avenger looks great!

Thank you! I did drybrush several areas with a light blue before doing the glaze. It turned out better in some areas than others. My drybrushing technique needs some work.

A 20 Minute (+Drytime, so we'll call it an Hour) Moldy Crow.

Bad Mold Lines scraped, Primed in Flat Grey.  
(I normally go Black for this, but Flat Grey makes things a bit brighter for the Camera.  Black is bette,r as if you miss a spot, its a shadow, rather than an eyesore).

DSCF5463.jpg

Basecoated in Pure GW Mournfang Brown.

(Paint to pallet, tiny drop of water to thin.  Maybe 10% water at most).

DSCF5464.jpg

Grey Sections picked out with GW Mechanicus Standard Grey.
(As above mixture - waited ~5mins until the Brown was dry to avoid blending colours.  Also, I swear, I learn to use Flash around here somewhere).

DSCF5465.jpg

Black Windows Picked out with GW Abbadon Black.

(As Above mixture again, as it was on Brown, it was already dry - but I did touch up the Brown about ~5 mins afterwards where I'd slopped on.)

DSCF5466.jpg

Red Markings.  Straight GW Khorne Red.  

(Couldn't find the Mephiston.  Go for Mephiston, its brighter, especially for the next step.)

DSCF5467.jpg

First Wash.  50/50 GW Agrax Earthshade + Water.  
(Hit all Brown and Red Components, do your best to avoid Grey Components.  Wait ~15 minutes before next step.)

DSCF5468.jpg

Second Wash.  GW Nuln Oil Straight.

(Hit all Grey Components, do your best to avoid Brown Components.  Wait ~15 minutes before next step.  This is straight vs the last one being watered down because the grey areas are smaller and need a heavier definition).

DSCF5470.jpg

Detail Work!

(Edge Highlight Brown in GW Gorthor Brown.  Overpaint Red with Evil Sunz Scarlet.  Touch up Grey Edges with Dawnstone)

DSCF5471.jpg

Engines!  3 Colour Work.

Layer whole Engine Exhausts with Stegadon Scale Blue

DSCF5472.jpg

Layer on Sotek Green over the top, leaving the tiniest amount of Stegadon showing around the Edge...

DSCF5473.jpg

Repeat as above for Temple Guard Blue over Sotek.

DSCF5474.jpg

Tiniest Dab of White in the Engines.

DSCF5475.jpg

Huzzah.

DSCF5476.jpg

almost made Minimum Wage painting this today...  (~$10/hr, when Minimum is $11 here...)

Done.

Things about Above:

1)  I used only 2 Brushes...  An old GW "Standard" for the Basecoat and Wash Work...  (And for the Engines except white)...  And a new GW "Small" base Brush for all other detail work.

2) All Paints are GW paints.  All were dolloped on a Pallet with a touch of water for about a 10% water mix, as its Dry as Hell in Alberta.

3) Yes, it was done with all GW and in under an hour including drying time...  You may need a little more drying time where you are, as stated in 2), I am in alberta.  Its dry as Hell.

4) There is no real skill to what I did.  Its just knowing what to use and where to put it...

5) This was a real commission piece.  I am going to go back and touch up the white when its not quite as warm in the house as I'm not satisfied with it...  But for the most part, this is done.

Try a very light drybrushing to extend the glow onto nearby panels. That Avenger looks great!

Thank you! I did drybrush several areas with a light blue before doing the glaze. It turned out better in some areas than others. My drybrushing technique needs some work.

I don't remember where I read this originally, but to practice drybrushing, primer 20 pennies, and practice on them. There is just enough detail to work on different techniques. It helped me alot.

I'm inured then.  I don't buy into the JarJar Hate that seems to be Trendy for people...  He's just a Neutral character for me.  Certainly could have been worse, and honestly, from a professional point of view - his voice actor delivered his lines perfectly in comparison to the way some of the live actors did in their own roles...

I'm inured then.  I don't buy into the JarJar Hate that seems to be Trendy for people...  He's just a Neutral character for me.  Certainly could have been worse, and honestly, from a professional point of view - his voice actor delivered his lines perfectly in comparison to the way some of the live actors did in their own roles...

Neutral as in being the guy who singly handedly wrote Palpi a blank check and brought on the rise of the empire and trillions of people a crossed the galaxy were murdered/enslaved/died in wars? 

So I've got the first base color in, I went for ISD Grey (Admin GW) for an overall "rebuilt fast" look.

The exposed portions will be a dull oily black grey  as it's metal parts...whatever. The engines will be blue like the rest of my ships and hopefully I will get to the gloss coat tomorrow. She's coming along nice...but I am semi concerned.

I don't know if this is common with models from shapeways, but the bottom end on the right side is rather...grainy...I washed it...scrubbed it...wouldn't come off. I mean I paid top dollar for this so I'm curious what's up on that front. The resin ones have that issue at all? 

13055488_1158272967516126_48814913337602

Edited by Gottmituns205