Sign in to follow this  
DWRR

The Armada Community Painting Thread - Keep your pictures here! Keep 'em visible!

I was using V-wings as standard TIEs but its all perspective of the user. Have fun with it.

Tarkin takes place five years after the end of the clone wars...and apparently TIEs are out in force. 

TIEs = TIEs

Vwings = Interceptors

ARC 170 = Bomber?

I just got my first airbrush. I'm likely to replace a few parts as soon as I spend some time on it, but I only intended it to be a starter set to get my feet wet. I probably won't be able to actually start painting anything until this weekend, but I'm stupid excited ^_^

Just an inexpensive one off Amazon, truthfully. I probably could have spent more for a rather higher-quality one, but I want to start small and work my way up.

Like my teacher said: learn to get good with crappy tools and when you move to good tools you'll learn to be awesome.

A $300 airbrush might be necessary when you're trying to feather someone's fake eyebrows for a magazine cover and give someone a plastic-unholy-face-of-seduction.  Totally unnecessary for laying down basecoats and tints, IMO :)

I am now the owner of an all Black ISD with the store logo (Imperial Outpost, Phoenix, AZ) painted in red on the front. The custome painted ISD by the store was given out as grand prize for taking down the Store Championship this weekend so I now have 3 ISD's to conquer the Galaxy. Overall I like the look and think they did a very good job but I really want to add window lights to it. I would like some opinions on options for the window colors that would look good with it. I am thinking maybe a red ink that goes on first and then do a dab of maybe light yellow on top and then a white dot in the center. Maybe add a grey wash to the different levels of the command decks to help bring them out more and then the above paint scheme on top. Or should I maybe just stick with Yellow lights, or maybe do the same lights I have on my first ISD that you can see in the pictures with light blue and white? What do you think?!

IMG_5458_zpspbs54xrf.jpgIMG_5454_zpsndstrbsp.jpgIMG_5457_zpsumo6aawl.jpgIMG_5455_zpsrq7q8o7k.jpg

Edited by BMcDonald7

I am now the owner of an all Black ISD with the store logo (Imperial Outpost, Phoenix, AZ) painted in red on the front. The custome painted ISD by the store was given out as grand prize for taking down the Store Championship this weekend so I now have 3 ISD's to conquer the Galaxy. Overall I like the look and think they did a very good job but I really want to add window lights to it. I would like some opinions on options for the window colors that would look good with it. I am thinking maybe a red ink that goes on first and then do a dab of maybe light yellow on top and then a white dot in the center. Maybe add a grey wash to the different levels of the command decks to help bring them out more and then the above paint scheme on top. Or should I maybe just stick with Yellow lights, or maybe do the same lights I have on my first ISD that you can see in the pictures with light blue and white? What do you think?!

IMG_5458_zpspbs54xrf.jpgIMG_5454_zpsndstrbsp.jpgIMG_5457_zpsumo6aawl.jpgIMG_5455_zpsrq7q8o7k.jpg

If it ain't broke.....

But I think it does need some minor fixing! :)

I like the look of the window lights and I think it will help  make the command levels pop out as currently it just looks like a big black blob and you can't really tell the difference in height of each command level. If you compare it to my ISD you can see how the windows really make the command decks pop out vs the rest of the white/grey hull.

But I think it does need some minor fixing! :)

I like the look of the window lights and I think it will help  make the command levels pop out as currently it just looks like a big black blob and you can't really tell the difference in height of each command level. If you compare it to my ISD you can see how the windows really make the command decks pop out vs the rest of the white/grey hull.

I'm just teasing man, you clearly have the skills to do it, so go for it!  :D

Alright, I am calling this ship done for now. I do like the idea of adding windows but currently I feel like I am going blind. Here is my MC80B Mon Remonda with the engine area and alternate angle shots that some folks asked for ages back.

DSC_0002_zpsjnmfim5u.jpg

DSC_0003_zpsxbeg5wfo.jpg

DSC_0005_zpswiubeidj.jpg

DSC_0004_zpsnud02but.jpg

Edited by Wes Janson

ISD's are still looking good BMcDonald, and congratulations on that store win (so you get to play around with another ISD!) yellow can be an interesting where as red may sort of blend a little bit more with the sigil on the front. As an aside, I rather like the name 'Scythe' for an Imperial warship. It gets the message across better compared to 'Dreadboat Evilship' that is usually ascribed to the Empire. The Lights look great and the engines look fine (Exactly the same as my pre-airbrush engines). If you're really looking for a way to differentiate the command decks, the faintest edging of dark blue-grey (slate or there abouts) would probably work well to define just the absolute edges of the decks, then use the lights to 'break it up'. It's just a thought.

Not much for a critique from me, it looks pretty bloody good mate!

Gottmituns, those V wings and the Eta are really looking top notch. Gah, thou shalt not make me like the thrice-damned Prequels! I think you basically got the colour scheme downpat. I don't know, some minor highlight on the leading edge of the V to bring it out? I haven't a clue, looks great to me. I certainly like the V-wings as Tie In, but the Arc 170, hmm: given its capabilities, isn't it kinda-closeish to a firespray? (Not one on one, but flight to individual?) Bombers make them almost underwhelming. Not that I'd complain, it's just cool to see Arc 170's.

I like that fleet Zephyre. Red is an interesting accent, usually pretty vibrant but you didn't follow the usual angles. That makes it feel very new to me. Patterning might work as one of the best I've seen on a Gladiator when it comes to markings.

FoaS, congrats on the airbrush too! Take care of those defenders, they and the avengers are my absolute favourites and they're a frigging pain absolutely fantastic to paint. I've gotten the '4th fighter' with all my Z-95 orders, but never with the Imperials. Plans for a ace in there, hmmmm?

Theeeere you go Wes, knew you were up to it! The Mc80B might be one of the weirdest and most eye-boggling rebel ships to me, but you painted it up great, and the engine cluster is just insane (in both the odd and awesome ways). So many engines on the battle tadpole (Pollywaaagh?) The colours just fit the ship. It does look like a pretty big ship. I'll admit, I'm usually at a loss as to window placement on the MC80 series (of any stripe).

Alright, well, I guess there was a 'VSD, where are they now?' thing a while back. So, I took an VSD and toyed with it a bit to make a dedicated VSD-I flying brick. You know, usual 'Vykes has too much spare time right now' kinds of things.  Pretty terrible lighting, but that's what night does.

30b1fu8.jpg

2n80adv.jpg

I like the TIE fighter game way too much.  And now its movements make sense.  Anyway, it's still not quite done, I'm still working on a name (Persistence, or the Gemini), got to maybe do one more layer of light shading, paint the bottom keyhole, might toy with the engines a touch more, line those blasted sensor/shield domes, then the insignia, and finally matting. But for the most part it's close enough to 'done' for a 2-ish day project.

Edited by Vykes

2n80adv.jpg

I like the TIE fighter game way too much.  And now its movements make sense.  Anyway, it's still not quite done, I'm still working on a name (Persistence, or the Gemini), got to maybe do one more layer of light shading, paint the bottom keyhole, might toy with the engines a touch more, line those blasted sensor/shield domes, then the insignia, and finally matting. But for the most part it's close enough to 'done' for a 2-ish day project.

I am so going to steal this idea and try to copy it.  My painting is not even close to your skill level, but I might be able to pull off the mod.

ISD's are still looking good BMcDonald, and congratulations on that store win (so you get to play around with another ISD!) yellow can be an interesting where as red may sort of blend a little bit more with the sigil on the front. As an aside, I rather like the name 'Scythe' for an Imperial warship. It gets the message across better compared to 'Dreadboat Evilship' that is usually ascribed to the Empire. The Lights look great and the engines look fine (Exactly the same as my pre-airbrush engines). If you're really looking for a way to differentiate the command decks, the faintest edging of dark blue-grey (slate or there abouts) would probably work well to define just the absolute edges of the decks, then use the lights to 'break it up'. It's just a thought.

Not much for a critique from me, it looks pretty bloody good mate!

Alright, well, I guess there was a 'VSD, where are they now?' thing a while back. So, I took an VSD and toyed with it a bit to make a dedicated VSD-I flying brick. You know, usual 'Vykes has too much spare time right now' kinds of things.  Pretty terrible lighting, but that's what night does.

30b1fu8.jpg

2n80adv.jpg

Thank you Vykes! Yeah I think I could add a nice Scythe looking sigil on the side of my first ISD would look pretty good. 

Just to confirm you are talking about adding the slight dark blue/grey highlight to the black ISD like an edge highlight on each command level or do you mean to fill in the recesses of each command deck where the windows would then be painted over top of the highlight? I think you mean the first but I just want to make sure. I am leaning towards the red ink over the areas where the windows will be and then do a white with maybe just a small small hint of yellow as the window. I think that will give it an evil glow coming from the command decks, trenches and bridge tower. 

I am simply amazed by your brush control when looking at those lines and THOSE WINDOWS. I wish I could consistently put just a tiny white dot in a perfect line like you do looking at that VIC. Do you dip the end of the brush after each little window? I can do maybe a couple of tiny dots but then have issues with too much paint coming out etc and I get a big window or not being in line with the others.....I'm using a Windsor & Newton Size 0 acrylic synthetic brush but I can't help but feel I don't get the best out of it! 

That victory look dope! I really think it shoulda been duel engine over triple due to the fact it's slower. 

Wes, that mon cal...she...she looks fantastic. 

I've been toying with the idea of getting a Providence carrier and run it as an MC80...

I would do no such thing Wes... 'cause then I'd have to do the same to my MC80A and I really don't wanna' :P

I wish the engines could have been more off-set, but with the way the model was, I just couldn't justify all the extra time spent in off-setting those engines then having to fill in extra parts of those thruster blocks. It's pretty close to the source material, so I'm content.

Go ahead Salted! It's always fun to see some mods. That said, here's a little bit of advice, if you need to pop the glued joints of a ship, put it in the freezer for a bit, it weakens the CA glue. You should be able to wiggle the engines straight out of the mounting. And be ready to cut through about half an inch of solid plastic on the engine pegs. Almost all of the time I took converting the ship was just sawing through the plastic there.

Totally agreed BMcDonald, a scythe would be a great little sigil on the side of the ISD. I'm still sorta thinking of a bow for Gemini on the VSD. I'm a big fan of those things :P Lets see, when I mean the highlight, I mean the first. Just at the very edge, you can use the side of the brush and get a very clean edge on that small 'lip' above the window area. Aye, the red and yellow will work, I only just worry about how the ink will look over such a dark coat. Hmmm, are you using Citadel's bloodletter glaze by any chance? It has enough body that it'll leave a residue that will look red, maybe even over black. White, or even just go with a bright yellow, then ink that, and add a yellow dot to that after it's dry. It should look great and suitably eeeeevil.

My window brush is actually a pretty disappointing and horribly ratty old thing that originally came with a 'paint by numbers' set when I was about ten. It's got like 20 hairs left and its losing them like a middle aged man -laughs- and yet it works so very well for its job. I tend to be able to do about 3-4 dots at once before having to load up the brush again. I use my palm as a brace on the ship then lower the brush to the hull to make the series of dots, or strokes if there's a raised 'ridge' in the area (they make perfect little squares and the ISD's window spaces are full of them).

I certainly agree Gottmituns, but I guess the three-engine VSD-II looks more like a proper Star Destroyer for the intro-set. I was kinda disappointed that only the VSD-II made it into later games, X-wing Alliance and Rogue Squadron if memory serves, where as the dual engine was just TIE fighter and one or two comics. It's just such a slug that it makes sense for the chart they gave it.

Providence, yep, thaaat would be a cool MC80 equivalent. -sighs, still wistfully waiting for the MC40-

Thanks Vykes the highlight makes perfect sense now. I would be using a mix of a Vallejo red and Citadel Lahmiam Medium to create something similar to bloodletter. I was even thinking of using some Nuln Oil and mixing some dark grey into it and putting that down on the command decks first to create some lighter areas compared to the black. Then the white/yellow dots for the windows, then the red glaze, then the small white dots to finish.

I'll have to cut one of my brushes down to just 20 hairs then because your window dots are perfect!