Sign in to follow this  
DWRR

The Armada Community Painting Thread - Keep your pictures here! Keep 'em visible!

I am considering picking up the brush and making my own mark on these bad boys. However, I have a few queries for you guys:

How do you differentiate your imperial and rebel fleets? Ideally, I would use similar colours for the two as a signifier that they are mine, but dont want to end up in the situation of facing my own ships (when leant to a friend) and it taking thought power to differentiate between the two. Are imps slightly darker for instance?

How do you make your title ships stand out when using a fleet colour scheme? Or is it more practical for gameplay to add additional colours to these ships?

Thinking Cyan/Orange combinations at the moment. A little disappointed that the imps dont seem to be as dark grey as I feel they should be to really make the orange pop. (Sorry Poe, but that colour scheme is wonderful)

For me personally, I haven't bothered trying to distinguish titled ships.

I generally make everything gray- my rebels get more shades of it and more warmer ones than my imps.  That's about it for me.

I think the ships look different enough that it's not that hard to tell who is on whose side.  Triangles vs non-triangles :)

Pretty much all my ships are unique in colour or markings, and the more unique, the more likely I am to give them a title (IE, my Red CR90 is usualy either Tantive or Jaina's Light, my purple ISD is often Relentless, etc) But given that my Nebulon B are almost always titled, the grey 'Imperial' look is more fighty, and is thus usually Salvation or the nameless one, while white becomes Yavaris/Redemption.

Anyway, point is that my fleet is rarely ever uniform.  Even squadrons tend to be in little squadrons/flight groups made up of several flights of similar fighters (so far as I recall, I don't have a single squadron over 3 flights of the same fighter, which means I can [and have] loaned out my Blue group X-wings to fight against my Gold group X-wings, backed up by Green group Z-95 'X-wings') 

Still, long story short, 'squadron markings' and the same general colours with different hues. 

Because I put up a bloody bunch of pictures on my thread, it's about time I guess I could add one or two here.  But now I have a reserve of guilt-free 'I have something to add' material whenever I post here. 

ngshs3.jpg

Post Scriptum: I do really like that consular cruiser Viper Jr., any Republic ship not painted in that Republic Red just tends to catch my attention more. The Aggressors are pretty great too.

That jumpmaster is particularly catchy WhatsArmadaWithYou, very much a Mondrian Composition II style modern art which works way better than I could have imagined

Hmm, well Chilligan, I'd say the AFII's are fine for the usual wear and tear feel. Only thing I can suggest is add a very targeted wash on the recesses where any of the chalky white buildup from washes can go.  Otherwise, looks good to me.

From shapeways today, I received the following:

4 TIE Defenders

4 TIE Phantoms

4 TIE Avengers

4 Missileboats

2 Marauder Corvettes

1 Interdictor

1 Winged MC80 cruiser

2 Dreadnoughts

1 Sorosuub Yacht

1 Raven's Claw

1 smuggler ship that I cannot remember the name of

6 kwings

6 ewings

12 z-95s

I MUST START PAINTING NOW!

No worries Cynan, I was doing the same thing :P 

FoaS, are those 4 individual fighters or 4 flights/squdrons?  -laughs- I'm replacing my Advanced with Avengers, so I got that and an Interdictor lined up.  Just sorta hesitant on that interdictor, still hope for Wave III (or an MC40, that's an insta-buy for me)  -ponders- Phantoms... they're the last thing on my painting table.  Ugh, can't stand the little baggers.

Random question for the painterverse:

Do y'all consider what kind of lighting your models are going to experience?  I've been tearing out my hair trying to strike a balance between panel differentiation and uniformity on my Imps, but I realize that the main contributing factor is how much light is out.  In typical "office flourescent light", the effect is just a wee bit too strong.  In daylight, it looks as patchwork as a junkyard car.  In homey incandescent light, it looks nice and subtle.

Exclusively for playing spaces, no.  There's too much variation between the pair of stores I visit, my garage, and my room, and each has some dramatically different lighting (in one store, I couldn't tell which ISD was mine compared to an unpainted one from my opponent.  I had to flip it around to look at the engines when I was done).  No matter what I do it won't be appealing in them all. 

But I did get some true-light bulbs for my painting lamps so they're as close to natural light as I can get.  I loath having any of my paints tinted, and when it comes to light colours, that can happen with irritating frequency (I've got a 'cool white' and a 'warm white' along with a 'stark white' paint.  That, plus all the other tints tend to really need the consistency at the painting phase so at least I can get the general tones right overall. 

No worries Cynan, I was doing the same thing :P 

FoaS, are those 4 individual fighters or 4 flights/squdrons?  -laughs- I'm replacing my Advanced with Avengers, so I got that and an Interdictor lined up.  Just sorta hesitant on that interdictor, still hope for Wave III (or an MC40, that's an insta-buy for me)  -ponders- Phantoms... they're the last thing on my painting table.  Ugh, can't stand the little baggers.

4 individuals each (I think one of the print jobs went bad, but they threw in the extra fighters that survived into the second print).

I have just about finished my first ISD. I am not sold on a name yet but I am thinking either the Reaper or Scythe. I wanted my first painted ISD to look more like the movies with the lighter grey and less panel contrast so I didn't do any shading of the panels as I wanted them to more blend in together. I must have went over the lights about 10 times with shades, inks, and re highlighting in white and for the most part I am happy with how they look. The lighting is not the best and I even used flash a couple of times just to help bring out the windows. This was my first attempt at the engines and I don't have an airbrush so I think they look ok. I will still likely touch them up a bit to make it look a little more smooth and I need to finish the hanger bay too. Then she should be ready for a dull coat varnish to seal it all. Any constructive criticism would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_5407_zpszvruzsem.jpg

IMG_5403_zpssyyv1yo3.jpg

IMG_5404_zpsfrug96ma.jpg

IMG_5406_zpskh55q8oq.jpg

IMG_5412_zpspflrbmjx.jpg

Fleet Shot

IMG_5409_zpsute9nqgp.jpg

Yes, it is. Of course, I've not seen any VSDs in awhile. Here's a link to a quick repaint I did on one of mine. Nothing groundbreaking, but it looks great flying into the fray. Still in progress:

https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/195570-the-armada-community-painting-thread-keep-your-pictures-here-keep-em-visible/?p=2031896

I'd love to see what others have done with their VSDs.

I'm working on mine atm. Just finished the CR90 & Nebulon-B last week. After that my ISD is next on the list. Will post some pictures when I'm done with the VSD, should be early next week.

As promised Fleet Pics for my 1000pt Imperial Fleet

1000pt%20game%20fleet%20pic1_zpskkuxpreu

Fleet Flagship - VSDII

VSD%20-flag-%20fleet%20colours%201_zpsdi

VSD%20-flag-%20fleet%20colours%202_zpspl

the ISD's both Mk2's

ISD%20fleet%20colours%201_zps4v8d79kw.jp

ISD%20fleet%20colours%202_zpssuiponaq.jp

Demolisher a Mk2 Glad

Glad%20fleet%20colours%201_zpsusnr1tbp.j

Glad%20fleet%20colours%202_zpskp0axaoq.j

and finally the Raiders also Mk2's (lots of mk2's in this fleet)

Raid%20fleet%20colours%201_zps0izh74uz.j

Raid%20fleet%20colours%202_zps6jipblp4.j

the rest of the fleet is squadrons most of which still need painting