Sign in to follow this  
DWRR

The Armada Community Painting Thread - Keep your pictures here! Keep 'em visible!

I finished painting my 3 raiders and I am happy with the results although I still don't quite have the blue light glow right. I think I may need an actual blue wash or glaze???

The first 2 that are top left and bottom leftt I did with a little purple mixed into a grey. I then washed the top left with a mix of purple and nuln oil to give it a nice purple hue. The other just has light touches of gray/purple. The mid right was my 3rd with a little red mixed into the grey. I use the purple hued one as Instigator.

IMG_5307_zpscjec1qmg.jpg

IMG_5308_zpsmgzlep2j.jpg

Now I am trying my luck at my first ISD. I want to get something that looks more like the movies with less noticeable panel lines but I want to still have some kind of an orange/red hue to the light grey. First I went over it with a thin white, then I went over with a grey mixed with just a touch of orange, then I watered down some orange and mixed in a little of the grey to try and make a wash over the ship. It looked a little too orange so I put another thin grey/white over it but you can barely see the orange except for a few angles with the right light. I decided to darken just a couple of panels with a grey. Now I think I am going to wash it with a very thinned out nuln oil around the command levels and large height transitions but will try to keep the panels from being filled in. I am not sure how I am going to get the slight orange/red hint but I may highlight some panel edges with a white/orange mix. I am kind of crosses as I want it to look uniform like the movies but with a little color..

IMG_5310_zpsigqceyvf.jpg

IMG_5306_zpsbk989fpj.jpgIMG_5311_zpscazlkxg8.jpg

Edited by BMcDonald7

Now I am trying my luck at my first ISD. I want to get something that looks more like the movies with less noticeable panel lines but I want to still have some kind of an orange/red hue to the light grey. First I went over it with a thin white, then I went over with a grey mixed with just a touch of orange, then I watered down some orange and mixed in a little of the grey to try and make a wash over the ship. It looked a little too orange so I put another thin grey/white over it but you can barely see the orange except for a few angles with the right light. I decided to darken just a couple of panels with a grey. Now I think I am going to wash it with a very thinned out nuln oil around the command levels and large height transitions but will try to keep the panels from being filled in. I am not sure how I am going to get the slight orange/red hint but I may highlight some panel edges with a white/orange mix. I am kind of crosses as I want it to look uniform like the movies but with a little color..

IMG_5310_zpsigqceyvf.jpg

Looking great!

In other news, I tried weathering up my VSD using all the techniques I've learned so far....

IMG_00391_zpspkil4n1q.jpg

If you're trying to add just a touch of hue, try using weathering powder or filing up some orange pastel: you can add/remove with water and then lock it down with pigment locker when you're happy.

My VSD is tinted slightly warm through brown and black watercolor + tooth brush going only in the direction of travel.

Looking great!

In other news, I tried weathering up my VSD using all the techniques I've learned so far....

IMG_00391_zpspkil4n1q.jpg

If you're trying to add just a touch of hue, try using weathering powder or filing up some orange pastel: you can add/remove with water and then lock it down with pigment locker when you're happy.

My VSD is tinted slightly warm through brown and black watercolor + tooth brush going only in the direction of travel.

Thanks, I am not familiar with using pigments, weathering powders or pastels so I will have to do some research. I like the way your VSD came out. Still looks very Imperial. 

I added a wash to the command ridges and any raised edges and I think it worked pretty well helping them to pop out just a bit. Then I tried the windows and I must say my window skills are really lacking. I tried a white with a little blue first for some kind of glow as I prefer the look of white/blue windows over yellow. I then went back and added a pure white for the windows but they really don't pop out much. Since the SD is mainly a light gray/white they don't pop unless in a shadow...Do I need a glaze or something? Maybe add some yellow to the white?

IMG_5313_zpssoekr2kc.jpgIMG_5314_zpskzzli1sx.jpg

IMG_5317_zpsqy8lqgnp.jpg

Honestly, the only issue was too much white to start with in too little area...

You need a richer blue as a base for the windows - and don't be afraid to be a little bit messy with it - this provides the basic OSL "Glow"...  You can then use your White-Blue as the Spot part of the windows...

You could fix it with a light blue glaze over the top, again, with a little bit around the edges to provide the "glow" effect.

Edited by Drasnighta

You need a richer blue as a base for the windows - and don't be afraid to be a little bit messy with it - this provides the basic OSL "Glow"...  You can then use your White-Blue as the Spot part of the windows...

You could fix it with a light blue glaze over the top, again, with a little bit around the edges to provide the "glow" effect.

The only blue I have is a plain Vallejo blue. Do you have any recommendations on a Citadel blue you would use as a base for the windows? I think I may just pick up a blue glaze too as I find it hard to get that transparent look for the blue. 

Thank you for the advise!

The only blue I have is a plain Vallejo blue. Do you have any recommendations on a Citadel blue you would use as a base for the windows? I think I may just pick up a blue glaze too as I find it hard to get that transparent look for the blue. 

Thank you for the advise!

Should be absolutely nothing wrong with plain Vallejo Blue as a base there.  Citadel Equivelant is probably Macragge Blue, but if you want Darker, then Kantor Blue.  Personal Preference.  I'd probably be okay with Vallejo Blue as the base as it is :)  Its more that, the White-Blue mix is too pastel on its own, and does not contrast with the white-grey well...  

As for Glazing, If You're going to go Citadel, then Gulliman Blue will be your friend.  Its a pre-mixed and set Slightly-Darker Blue Glaze...  It will cut out a lot of the crap.  They're never as good as mixing your own tone of glaze with medium and all, but, it cuts out about 20,000% of the Crap :D

I went with yellow windows, and the same thing happened - I had to be pretty heavy-handed with the Yellow Ink to make the windows "pop" against the background with colour contrast.

The fantastic take away you should have from what you've done so far - is those windows as presented are neat as all hell, which will serve you very well going forward.

Edited by Drasnighta

Should be absolutely nothing wrong with plain Vallejo Blue as a base there.  Citadel Equivelant is probably Macragge Blue, but if you want Darker, then Kantor Blue.  Personal Preference.  I'd probably be okay with Vallejo Blue as the base as it is :)  Its more that, the White-Blue mix is too pastel on its own, and does not contrast with the white-grey well...  

As for Glazing, If You're going to go Citadel, then Gulliman Blue will be your friend.  Its a pre-mixed and set Slightly-Darker Blue Glaze...  It will cut out a lot of the crap.  They're never as good as mixing your own tone of glaze with medium and all, but, it cuts out about 20,000% of the Crap :D

I went with yellow windows, and the same thing happened - I had to be pretty heavy-handed with the Yellow Ink to make the windows "pop" against the background with colour contrast.

The fantastic take away you should have from what you've done so far - is those windows as presented are neat as all hell, which will serve you very well going forward.

Pastel, that is the word I was thinking of to describe the blue. Yes the blue is just way too pastel and doesn't look like a light. Good to hear about the Vallejo Blue. I guess I just haven't gotten the mix right to make it more translucent. What medium do you recommend to mix with colors to get more of a glaze? I can do some searching for youtube video's etc but just curious what you do. When you refer to the crap what do you mean?

I'll have to take a look at your ISD's to get a better idea of what you are talking about. Thank you for the encouragement on the windows. It's easy to not be satisfied when you look at some of the ISD windows on this forum from you, Vykes, and DWRR.

Yes, just put a base coat of basic, darker blue on before the Pastel Blue/White mix, leaving a little bit of that original blue around the edges, and you're set.

If you want Translucent of just about any paint, there's 2 options:

1) Lahmian Medium from Citadel.  Its Quick, its simple, its easy to find, but its (relatively) expensive.

2) Acrylic Medium from an Art Store.  Its in Bulk, so its dirt cheap, but its in bulk, and takes a bit of getting used to - and it can be inconsistent.

As for crap, I just personally find mixing mediums to make a glaze from paints to be something I won't bother with if I can avoid it, and go for the pre-mixed.  It limits colour selections somewhat, but I also have a 2-Year-Old and not much time on my hands when I do get to paint :)

I see, looks like I'll be picking up some Lahmian Medium on my lunch break as I have a Gamers Workshop 5 minutes away. I guess I could just pick up the blue glaze too so I can get that nice engine glow. 

Thanks for the help!

I see, looks like I'll be picking up some Lahmian Medium on my lunch break as I have a Gamers Workshop 5 minutes away. I guess I could just pick up the blue glaze too so I can get that nice engine glow. 

Thanks for the help!

If you haven't bough it yet, golden matte medium is pretty much Lahmian medium at 1/10th the cost.  I'm still on my liquitex matte medium bottle, but that's just because I have it- the liquitex is particle based matting (the less ideal one) while IIRC golden is some other mechanism that's nice and transparent, a la lahmian.  IF you really want the best medium for glazing, just get some glaze medium and matte the whole thing down only when finished.

I ahve two ideas for ISD windows:

-strontium aluminate glow in the dark aqua paint.  When you want to "turn on the lights" just hit it with a little UV and presto!  Looks like you did an awesome fiber job :)  It works pretty good for my Glock sights, so I imagine it will do fine for my ISD- I'll try it once the paint ships from amazon.

-Square or circle die cut glitter.  I have hexagon die cut red glitter for my tie engines (that I'll get to some day...) and the effect is pretty cool for making those ion engines pop- will try for the windows.  The trick will be getting fine enough tweezers and having the patience to actually adhere so many of those suckers onto the ISD hull.  The glitter catches ambient light and becomes a localized light source.

Thanks for the help!

If you haven't bough it yet, golden matte medium is pretty much Lahmian medium at 1/10th the cost.  I'm still on my liquitex matte medium bottle, but that's just because I have it- the liquitex is particle based matting (the less ideal one) while IIRC golden is some other mechanism that's nice and transparent, a la lahmian.  IF you really want the best medium for glazing, just get some glaze medium and matte the whole thing down only when finished.

I ahve two ideas for ISD windows:

-strontium aluminate glow in the dark aqua paint.  When you want to "turn on the lights" just hit it with a little UV and presto!  Looks like you did an awesome fiber job :)  It works pretty good for my Glock sights, so I imagine it will do fine for my ISD- I'll try it once the paint ships from amazon.

-Square or circle die cut glitter.  I have hexagon die cut red glitter for my tie engines (that I'll get to some day...) and the effect is pretty cool for making those ion engines pop- will try for the windows.  The trick will be getting fine enough tweezers and having the patience to actually adhere so many of those suckers onto the ISD hull.  The glitter catches ambient light and becomes a localized light source.

I did already buy it but no worries as I don't use a lot of it as Armada is the only thing I paint.

Wow those are some very cool and time consuming ideas. I'm curious to see how they turn out especially the glow in dark paint.

What Dras said: those windows are actually a terrific window 'base' BMcDonald. By and large, it's exactly how mine look to begin with.

I've been using airbrushes more and more for windows, but it's not a universal. On smaller ships I tend to still go with the same general steps: start with a light coloured paint, add some coloured wash to make some areas of contrast, then a coloured glaze, then retouch the windows in the light pastel blue and a white dot centre. If you have a large expanse like the ISD and no real wish to airbrush it, a quick medium drybrush of a shade of altdorf blue or the like often works great.

My usual window blue colour is Vallejo's sky blue washed with 2 layers of thinned minitaire plasma discharge 'ghost tint' (I like the teal), then GW white scar air.

Easy to replicate with GW's Lothern blue, Gulliman blue glaze, and a hint of white scar.

Like DUR said, I heard good things about comparing Golden Matte medium to Lahmia medium, and it's 1/10th the cost per ml but you get like 100 times more in volume so it can be a pricy initial purchase.

2ec12rp.jpg

(A new frigate in my fleet, done after experimenting with colours for a commission fleet.  Turned out well but I'm not sure what I was thinking with the bridge lights, but it might just be that my usual 'Imperial colour' tinting screwed up the colouration a bit and I didn't correct it.  So, bit more work for the vallejo blue and white yet.)

Yellow can be done but I do find it's a more effort. (Part of the Red Oktober commission fleet, and yeah, I'm kinda tempting to toy with more yellow lighting again as it was pretty unique on that hull)

2qicitd.jpg

DUR, I actually knew someone who did exactly that with the Strontium aluminate paint for a 40K army and it was one of the biggest surprises I remember. In the end we turned on a blacklight over our gaming table and just had fun with one of the weirdest lighting conditions I've ever played in. It was pretty great :P Glitter... never considered that one. Hmmm, I may have to try it, just to say I have a Glitterati fleet.

They are looking might fine Vykes, very nice indeed.

I've been so busy recently I've been struggling to find the time to paint, I have managed to do a few Corvettes, and yesterday I got 6x Tie Bomber, 6x Tie Advaned, and 6x Tie Interceptor (stands) sprayed with a grey base coat, and a Nuln Oil was on all of them, hopefully I'll be able to get some more done over the next several days, out most of tomorrow and a store champ Sunday day, out in the evening.../sigh, so Monday I might get a few hours to get some work done.

Edited by TheEasternKing

What Dras said: those windows are actually a terrific window 'base' BMcDonald. By and large, it's exactly how mine look to begin with.

I've been using airbrushes more and more for windows, but it's not a universal. On smaller ships I tend to still go with the same general steps: start with a light coloured paint, add some coloured wash to make some areas of contrast, then a coloured glaze, then retouch the windows in the light pastel blue and a white dot centre. If you have a large expanse like the ISD and no real wish to airbrush it, a quick medium drybrush of a shade of altdorf blue or the like often works great.

My usual window blue colour is Vallejo's sky blue washed with 2 layers of thinned minitaire plasma discharge 'ghost tint' (I like the teal), then GW white scar air.

Easy to replicate with GW's Lothern blue, Gulliman blue glaze, and a hint of white scar.

Like DUR said, I heard good things about comparing Golden Matte medium to Lahmia medium, and it's 1/10th the cost per ml but you get like 100 times more in volume so it can be a pricy initial purchase.

2ec12rp.jpg

(A new frigate in my fleet, done after experimenting with colours for a commission fleet.  Turned out well but I'm not sure what I was thinking with the bridge lights, but it might just be that my usual 'Imperial colour' tinting screwed up the colouration a bit and I didn't correct it.  So, bit more work for the vallejo blue and white yet.)

Yellow can be done but I do find it's a more effort. (Part of the Red Oktober commission fleet, and yeah, I'm kinda tempting to toy with more yellow lighting again as it was pretty unique on that hull)

2qicitd.jpg

DUR, I actually knew someone who did exactly that with the Strontium aluminate paint for a 40K army and it was one of the biggest surprises I remember. In the end we turned on a blacklight over our gaming table and just had fun with one of the weirdest lighting conditions I've ever played in. It was pretty great :P Glitter... never considered that one. Hmmm, I may have to try it, just to say I have a Glitterati fleet.

Thank you for the advise Vykes. I hold your windows on your Citadel Prime ISD as the gold standard for windows. I already applied the blue GW glaze to the areas but I think I need to create a dark blue/black wash and fill in the background on the command levels to make it pop even more then go over it one more time with a glaze and then do the white windows. They are starting to look much better! I still need to do the underside, trenches, and engines...yikes!

Love the 2 new Neb's especially the red one. If I played Rebels I would be more eager to try one but I pretty much only play Imperials at tournaments so...

WIP! That's my perpetual excuse! :P

Seriously though, I'm just about ready to gloss these guys up in varnish so I can start panel lining the big panels in neutral gray and do some light front to back streaking.

I find myself constantly torn between increasing panel contrast so that they pop and decreasing panel contrast so it looks more realistic.  My poor picture skills make them look at about 50% value difference than to the naked eye, so I'm thinking I'll do one more dusting of basecoat?  I'd appreciate some feedback, though of course it might help if I took a decent picture.  Oh well.

I'm trying to do everything at the same time with my imps so they have that nice, uniform, hegemonic feel.

IMG_00141_zpshp3plsnw.jpg

PS- thanks Lord Tareq- your reposting of my photo gave me the push to work on the fleet last night :)

What paint colors did you use for those? It's a great "spaceship" color.

Quick question, thankee-sai to anyone who can answer for me:

How do you keep up the inspiration to paint Imperial ships uniform gray? I'm finding that between doing all fo the following:

1. Scrub down original ship, wait for it to dry
  2. Prime ship
  3. Airbrush light gray basecoat
  4. Black wash
  5. Drybrush gray on above that to even out the colors

It takes a few hours of collective effort to make the end result about 25% cooler-looking than the original ship and remove the off-color dark gray tiles. It doesn't feel worth it to me. So I guess I'm looking to see what Imperial painters in this thread have found helpful for speeding up the process and/or how they add enough visual interest to feel as though their time was worth it.

Edited by Snipafist

Quick question, thankee-sai to anyone who can answer for me:

How do you keep up the inspiration to paint Imperial ships uniform gray? I'm finding that between doing all fo the following:

1. Scrub down original ship, wait for it to dry
  2. Prime ship
  3. Airbrush light gray basecoat
  4. Black wash
  5. Drybrush gray on above that to even out the colors

It takes a few hours of collective effort to make the end result about 25% cooler-looking than the original ship and remove the off-color dark gray tiles. It doesn't feel worth it to me. So I guess I'm looking to see what Imperial painters in this thread have found helpful for speeding up the process and/or how they add enough visual interest to feel as though their time was worth it.

I didn't scrub down the original ship. I just started with a coat of white right over it and after that it was the challenge and anticipation of what it would look like. Each new layer and coat was exciting. I really love the all white/grey look of the original ISD's in the movies so my first ISD repaint I wanted to be more faithful to the original. My 2nd ISD will probably be much more adventurous with high contrast plates and some kind of heavy color scheme like one of Vykes 3 he has done.

As Drasnighta said the windows are the other big challenge and adventure. I've made 2 attempts so far and I think once I add something for the 3rd time I will have the look I'm going for. 

How do you keep up the inspiration to paint Imperial ships uniform gray? 

Windows.

Its not so much the Uniform Grey - That's the Chore that leads to the Challenge for me.

I enjoy the Challenge.

And the Challenge is Windows.

Clearly you need to install fiber optics.

Windows.

Its not so much the Uniform Grey - That's the Chore that leads to the Challenge for me.

I enjoy the Challenge.

I would if I could find a reliable local supplier.

Windows.

I enjoy the Challenge.

Literally would have Imperial Christmas Trees!!! 

Someone has done it but it looks like too much work for me.