Sign in to follow this  
DWRR

The Armada Community Painting Thread - Keep your pictures here! Keep 'em visible!

Trust me BMcDonald, you can aaaaalways brag. Tis a gamer thing. I knew a guy who bragged about coming in second place (which turned out to be a two person tournament due to a bigger event being scheduled in a 'neighboring' city.) Trust me, it's a'kay. I'm hoping to snag one in a limited 12 person tournament. Yeah.

But many thanks, those Squadrons were fun to paint. It's really just about making a series of small straight lines for the most part.

Wow, I'm continually impressed with the sharpie method. Very nicely done RulesLawyer. Blue A-wings are nice, the Red look great, but those Green B-wings are getting me to question my colour choices :P Seriously fun stuff. Yeah, a sepia wash really is great for those ships and helps tie everything together. How do you find the opacity of the ship after the wash? (I know the plastic tends to look semi translucent, like wax).

They really are awesome Viperous, aren't they? They really are a nice gameplay addition, but as for painting, it gives the Empire players a real chance to paint up some colourful and unique ships that are still part of their fleet without feeling like it doesn't fit. After all, the gunmetal grey grandeur of the Star Destroyers is a type of 'Imperial Glory' but then you can have fun and paint up the flying CN railcar that is the YV-666 in whatever colours you want. (Granted, my YV-666 is in the Simple Green for the 4th time this week, so what do I know?)

Fett does look pretty good, is that a gloss? -laughs- does it show that well on the tabletop, because that is pretty awesome. Some orange can work for engines, then redot the middle and it could feel 'warmer' or just more substantial as it brings a little bit more to the engines and separates the engine itself from the 'bloom'.

Well, I did say my own firespray wasn't going to be Kath, but I did go with a slight alteration from what I was going to do at first.

122kiyq.jpg

Also got to work on some H6's. Scurg skrugg, whatever.

20habdv.jpg

And finally the one I'm not happy with. a tock YT-2400.  I don't know, a stripe or somthing might be enough (I did one like it before and it turned out well), or I might start picking out plate sections in ivory and washing with sepia to get some variation. It's a fairly frustrating ship for me.  Maybe I just need to stare at Rendar for a while.

2rgyple.jpg

Sturmtruppen X1, you are a very very bad man! -laughs- I liked that way more than I want to admit.

Post Scriptum: Reduced the picture size, bloody things are 'uge dey is. 

And I forgot about a HWK.  I was stuck when I painted it purely white and just sorta shrugged saying 'I'll make it better later' then had no idea how.  So I added red lines.  It looked good but oddly familar.  It wasn't until about a day later that I realized it looks like a US coast guard cutter.  I'm strangely okay with that.

e71px4.jpg

Edited by Vykes

WIP! That's my perpetual excuse! :P

Seriously though, I'm just about ready to gloss these guys up in varnish so I can start panel lining the big panels in neutral gray and do some light front to back streaking.

I find myself constantly torn between increasing panel contrast so that they pop and decreasing panel contrast so it looks more realistic.  My poor picture skills make them look at about 50% value difference than to the naked eye, so I'm thinking I'll do one more dusting of basecoat?  I'd appreciate some feedback, though of course it might help if I took a decent picture.  Oh well.

I'm trying to do everything at the same time with my imps so they have that nice, uniform, hegemonic feel.

IMG_00141_zpshp3plsnw.jpg

PS- thanks Lord Tareq- your reposting of my photo gave me the push to work on the fleet last night :)

Edited by DUR

My personal preference DUR, is for higher contrast between panels.  Which is naturally counter to the whole aesthetic :P  The only thing I'd really be able to say is maybe just try a higher contrast on the absolute deepest and most definite height distortions rather than all the main lines (so at the base of the command deck, and along the 'wings' of the VSD.)

As it is, I'm really into the more realistic toning and streaking and I'm not sure I'd want to distort it too much with any form of high impact line.  The subtlety in scale and variation in plates is great, so taking attention away from it with higher contrast paneling just feels on the cusp of criminal.

Wow, I'm continually impressed with the sharpie method. Very nicely done RulesLawyer. Blue A-wings are nice, the Red look great, but those Green B-wings are getting me to question my colour choices :P Seriously fun stuff. Yeah, a sepia wash really is great for those ships and helps tie everything together. How do you find the opacity of the ship after the wash? (I know the plastic tends to look semi translucent, like wax).

Should have mentioned the B's were done with paint, but mostly due to the fact that central gray area proved super difficult to get good coverage with the nib. Otherwise I stayed with trying to match the other sharpie models in terms of color scheme. Still bare areas of plastic with a sepia ink wash. I haven't particularly noticed them being transparent, but all of this is done for a 'table distance' goal. I've gone done the rabbit hole with 15mm infantry before.

Seriously though, I'm just about ready to gloss these guys up in varnish so I can start panel lining the big panels in neutral gray and do some light front to back streaking.

I find myself constantly torn between increasing panel contrast so that they pop and decreasing panel contrast so it looks more realistic.  My poor picture skills make them look at about 50% value difference than to the naked eye, so I'm thinking I'll do one more dusting of basecoat?  I'd appreciate some feedback, though of course it might help if I took a decent picture.  Oh well.

I'm trying to do everything at the same time with my imps so they have that nice, uniform, hegemonic feel.

PS- thanks Lord Tareq- your reposting of my photo gave me the push to work on the fleet last night :)

These are the closest to the actual movie ISD's I've scene so far. I think Vykes is right as usual with going with some higher contrast just on the higher raised levels. Like around the large raised sections towards the bow and command decks.

I think on the VSD you could go for a little more darker contrast and show some more weathering. With the VSD's being older ships I think it would make sense realistic wise and give you some variation between the ISD's.

I am thinking of doing one of my SD's similar to yours with the very light grey/white and trying to fill in the panel lines so they are not as noticeable. I also kind of want to do a light grey/white with a hint of red/orange mixed in and call her Thunderflare. 

These are the closest to the actual movie ISD's I've scene so far. I think Vykes is right as usual with going with some higher contrast just on the higher raised levels. Like around the large raised sections towards the bow and command decks.

I think on the VSD you could go for a little more darker contrast and show some more weathering. With the VSD's being older ships I think it would make sense realistic wise and give you some variation between the ISD's.

I am thinking of doing one of my SD's similar to yours with the very light grey/white and trying to fill in the panel lines so they are not as noticeable. I also kind of want to do a light grey/white with a hint of red/orange mixed in and call her Thunderflare. 

You must have read my mind!  I'm going to make my VSD (and GSD's, which aren't in the picture) really show her age: I'm planning on using bragdon weathering powders to get it nice and gritty.  I've only used them on big ole tanks before, so I'm a bit worried about making sure they don't get really funky/out of scale, but I'll post results when finished.

Mais bien sûr, mate.

i just use a quick and easy little process for OSL on fighters/freighters/small ships.  Pick your light source and 'mark it' with your bright colour (I've been using Vallejo sky blue).  Then mix up a medium tone glaze and layer it over the area of the 'glow' (In this case it's a thinned Minitaire airbrush tint, but GW glazes work great as does just a simple home made one as the area isn't often that big).  It'll likely take 1-2 coats just to make smaller concentric circles.  Then, if there's a harsh edge, quickly highlight it with your bright colour and redot the 'light source'.  If the source area is large enough, dot  the middle with a thinned white.  And something like that H6 is the result.

I will note that blue is generally pretty easy, but for yellow I often find I'm layering red and yellow glazes as the depth rarely seems to look quite right with just one.

Edited by Vykes

It may be too late for this DUR, but I love these as-is. I'd go for the decreased panel contrast to make them look more true-to-film.

Like 'em? No I don't like em! I love em! Seriously fantastic stuff mate. The light grey colour is an absoute perfect match for the rounded plates on the Mk.II and Mc 30's. (mind if I ask what it is? It's a very 'real navy' colour that I don't see much.)

That wild MC30 with the banding is one of the most original patterns I've seen in a long while. I'm really impressed.  Great work with the squadrons too, the Y-wings and that blue B-wing flight really catches me in particular.

I think I've only got one little suggestion: ever thought about using marker to darken the edges of the cardboard bases? Black, blue, orange, anything to either stand out or blend in (depending if you have any plans for clear bases or coloured ones) but otherwise give everything that final little 'finishing touch'.

You did an absolutely stellar job mate, and thanks a ton for showing us those. Glad to have ya around', mate. I'd love to see what you come up with too.  Oh, and welcome aboard, eh?

Thanks guys.

The light grey colour is made with a base of Citadel Air mechanicus standar grey, then Citadel Air administratum grey, later Administartum grey+white and and final touches with pure white.

ever thought about using marker to darken the edges of the cardboard bases?

No, I have't but you have given me a great idea... time to start painting bases.

How did you paint the Lebrecht?!

Base colour of Dark Sea Grey

White stripes using Flat White and Tamiya's fine flat brush

Black stripes using Flat Black and Tamiya's fine flat brush

NATO Black for the solar panels

Titanium Gold and Buff to replicate her hair colour

more quick pics of my 400 point reb fleet sans fighter support

20151216_152542.jpg

20151216_152557.jpg

Know this was posted months ago but just seen it and want to say it's gorgeous. Also, did Sabine graduate to painting starships? ;)

haha, i thought those looked familiar. Thanks for the compliment, and bothering to dredge them back up!