Sign in to follow this  
DWRR

The Armada Community Painting Thread - Keep your pictures here! Keep 'em visible!

Some great & inspirational work posted here,

This is my first attempt on an Armada ship.

DSC_0205_zpssbgm7mka.jpg

DSC_0206_zps1rpjmuff.jpg

Edit : I just want to clarify (first attempt on an Armada ship), I have painted Models before, and I used to paint to a lot of stuff in my teens, and early 20's, mostly Games Workshop stuff, and then stopped completely.  I recently renewed my interest so to speak after 2 decades of not touching a brush (friend asked about painting some IA minatures), so I am practicing some very rusty skills for the first time in a long time.

Edited by TheEasternKing

If the fightingpiranhagraphics decals are that small Dras, I really may have to look into them. Yeah metallic decals can be a real pain (GW Grail knights experience talking, lovely images, horrible application). Thanks mate, I have it bookmarked, now to do some browsing.

Very nice Venator Dmgcontrol. Might not be my favourite ship in Star Wars, but you did the colours justice!

Neat-'n-Tidy squadrons elijahdprophet! Those clips are a good idea. Hmmm, now I'm tempted to use 'em for my airbrush set up too. Right after I figure out how to make an airbrush cradle. (man gravity fed brushes are awkward).

Gutted pens, eh Cynan? Not a bad idea either. I wonder if they can be squishy enough to fit the pegs of larger ships. Hmm.

Aye, tis a solid repaint Zephyre, the bridge really does make it stand out. I like the blue engines too. Hmm, is that a flesh-based wash you used on there? It's darker and a little more warm-toned than I've seen on a lot of ships. Kinda starting to grow on me given a project I'm considering.

TheEasternKing, patterning is right good, looks clean and highly visible. Rusty skills, eh? :P I dinnae want ta believe ya! Well done, mate. Hope to see some more some time, eh?

Now that I think about it TheBrex, we really haven't seen a lot of Resistance or FO Armada stuff, have we? That's a shame, but I'm glad you decided to reverse that trend some. Aye, it's hard to paint Luke and Wedge in non-classic colours, isn't it? (I did it too :P) Caption bar is actually pretty good too, I'm not sure why it feels complete, but it does.

Veeery very nice Greyfoxx. Clean, orderly, flows naturally, yep, very awesome. It looks right at home on every single ship and squadron there, (particularly the Y-wings). Might I ask, what shade of green is that? The light and dark combination works nicely at this scale, but that Mc30 is a show stealer for me :) Reminds me of some of the Gothic sector fleet from BFG, which is definitely a good thing.

I really really hate to break my usual 'no prints' policy, but given that Dras made a conversion on par with it using X's, I don't feel too bad about it (and I'll happily tear 'em down and replicate it with some X-wings as soon as I can). But I -think- I may have finally cracked my green-curse streak.

I will put it behind a spoiler wall, for decency sake.

Grungy Z-95's

315021g.jpg

Veeery very nice Greyfoxx. Clean, orderly, flows naturally, yep, very awesome. It looks right at home on every single ship and squadron there, (particularly the Y-wings). Might I ask, what shade of green is that? The light and dark combination works nicely at this scale, but that Mc30 is a show stealer for me :) Reminds me of some of the Gothic sector fleet from BFG, which is definitely a good thing.

Thank you very much! Means a lot :D The greens I used were citadels, Loren Forest for the base with elysian green highlights and castellan Green for the darker panels of the Mc30

I am practicing some very rusty skills for the first time in a long time.

Looks good to me :)

TheEasternKing, patterning is right good, looks clean and highly visible. Rusty skills, eh? :P I dinnae want ta believe ya! Well done, mate. Hope to see some more some time, eh?

Thanks guys, it's more I remember how things should look, how techniques should work etc, but putting them into practice again, I had a few get stressed moments because I couldn't do what I should have been able to do, I guess like any skill set you used to use daily for years and years, then don't for twenty years, it is going to take a little time to get back to the level I used to paint at, and keeping my hands steady for fine lines, or lining the sections in black paint, I had a few sections I had to pare the paint off with a scalpel and repaint them.

But yes, I have a very large selection of Armada ships to paint at the moment, between my own stuff, and 2 friends who want their stuff painting, so i should be able to add a few more as I go.

And Vykes them Z95's look superb, I am not looking forwards to 4 base sets, and 5 Imperial / 5 rebel, 4 R&V fighter packs, and you have set a high bar there. :)

Edited to add : GreyFoxx I am really liking that colour scheme you have picked, looks fantastic, well painted models.

Edited by TheEasternKing

I'm definitely gonna have to get used to the new names. Looks good, I was thinking it might be Catachan green and camo green (you can tell what GW era I'm from :P ) but it looks a touch more vibrant and saturated which is good in my book. Again, really well done :) Love to see some more some time.

-laughs- you know, I think the 'lapse' in your painting is the total sum of all of mine, EasternKing :P I simultaneously feel old and young at the same time, and I'm not sure what to think of that! It's true, you pick it up but it takes a bit from what I understand.

I am looking forward to it but 4 base and 5 squadron sets. -counts- that's what, 216 Tie fighter frames... I don't do image macros, but I'm considering reversing my statement to a blanket NOPE.jpg. Oh Lord, Dras was right, I am a piker :P Seriously good luck with that. After just 63 I had to switch to a completely different colour just to finish up the last 9.

Thanks mate, those Z-95's were pretty fun to paint. I did have a pot of Simple Green ready just in case of course.  Now I'll have to see if I can replicate it on something else. 

Being the idiot I am, I just spent £15 on another rogues and villains pack purely so I could repaint a Kath Scarlett... I love here in X-Wing and did a repaint so it's just the right thing to do! And it'll be fun to do the others...

Anyway I also finished my last X-Wings and will post pictures later tonight, not that they are anything to write home about!

Vykes - Thanks a lot, was trying to go for an almost cell shaded approach which seems to work quite well on these models. Going to go for a second Mc30 and an Assault Frigate next, will post some pictures when I've had a play! Those z-95's are stellar by the way, and some of your stuff earlier in the thread is just intimidating :P 

EasternKing - Thanks mate! Your AF is bleedin' beautiful. Can't tell that's your first model for 20 years! Looks like you put the brush down yesterday

Drasnighta - Cheers for your help earlier, I was being special and was trying to copy in a disallowed URL. Those are some **** sexy R&V's, can see why you get commissions! 

@GreyFoxx: green squadron looks great!

Just a minor update to keep myself going, on the right are the WIP militarized consular cruiser (Raider) and Acclamator (Victory I) for my GAR Imperials, on the left a cr90 painted white and washed so far, and the same with the Dreadnought (AFmkII) both for my Black Sun rebels force.

x3b1Kpk.jpg

Here are my recently painted 'Green Squadron', I will come up with a better name when I can kick my imagination into gear I'm sure

File_004_zpsnfhhlots.jpeg

File_001_zpsvoex8zhl.jpeg

File_002_zpsq6y2nbyp.jpeg

File_000_zpsqobpnbuv.jpeg

Those are sweet looking ships... But my self-professed OCD is kicking in... They can't be in a squadron as all of them are different!

You need at least 2 MC30 grouped into division and another 2 CR 90 as a division. Combine those 2 division and voila! You have a squadron! Well... That's just my OCD. If that's a Task Squadron, it firs the bill.

Edited by cruiser2710

Here are my recently painted 'Green Squadron', I will come up with a better name when I can kick my imagination into gear I'm sure

Those are sweet looking ships... But my self-professed OCD is kicking in... They can't be in a squadron as all of them are different!

You need at least 2 MC30 grouped into division and another 2 CR 90 as a division. Combine those 2 division and voila! You have a squadron! Well... That's just my OCD. If that's a Task Squadron, it firs the bill.

Haha! Thanks for the heads up! I'm planning another Mc30 and Cr90 :P so, sweet! 'Green Task Squad' for now then :P 

Haha! Thanks for the heads up! I'm planning another Mc30 and Cr90 :P so, sweet! 'Green Task Squad' for now then :P

I think they can be called whatever GreyFoxx wants, this is after all a universe where an ISD is a cruiser... And besides, Rebels Wraith Squadron is made up of capital ships and fighters.

Aye, I tend to just assemble things in the form of a 'Battle Squadron' which I can justify as 4 elements: 1 main line ship,  2 'attack lines', and 1 'pursuit line'.  The exact numbers fluctuate, but that's been a sort of vague guiding line for composition (I don't hold to EU numbers or 'real life' numbers beyond inspiration as a rough basis or as a functional 'resource pool' for campaigns like Ceknell).   

Besides, the degree of scale representation in Armada is best interprited on a player-to-player basis and that usually dovetails with exact numbers and composition.  So, without reviving that ancient musty bugbear guardian of the forest of sticky and uncomfortably slimy threads (I'm up late planning a D&D game, you're not gonna get anything sensible out of me :P), in the words of master Yoda, 'you must unlearn what you have learned.'  And we can't cudgel people about what a 'Squadron' is in Armada!  It's part of the treaty!

Here, I must also abide by the terms. "It's an older squadron sir, but it checks out.  I was about to clear them."

Post scriptum: nice work in progress and update there DmgControl, I've seen a few Black Suns colour schemes but I really don't have a set image of what they use on capital ships.  Interested in seeing what you come up with there.  if1kwz.jpg

Edited by Vykes