Sign in to follow this  
DWRR

The Armada Community Painting Thread - Keep your pictures here! Keep 'em visible!

IMG_5471_zpsrnqioig0.jpg

That has to be one of the best imperials I have ever seen. Absolutely amazing work on the windows. How did you get them to be so bright with such a dark base color?

Why thank you but I think I still have a lot of room to improve. This one was actually a lot easier to make the windows pop out because of the black contrast. I dry brushed a dark grey/black coat on the areas I wanted the windows to be first. Then I added just a little yellow to a white and thinned it out just a little but not that much and applied all of the dots for the first time. I then took a Vallejo Red and thinned it out with Lahmian Medium to almost create something like a gloss and put that over most of the windows and into the surrounding areas to get the red glow. I then went over each dot again with a white and just a little yellow mixed together to get the final windows. It turned out pretty good although I think I could have done the red glow a little better but all in all it turned out well. I did a similar process on the other Light Grey/White ISD in the background but the white windows stand out much less due to the lack of contrast compared to black and white. 

Check out some of Vyke's posts in this thread and others and he basically lays out how to do good windows.

With the amount of OSL on the tail of that ISD, it must have a 2 mile long afterburner cone lit behind it :) !

Seriously though, the windows look great!

No no, she is just going to light speed!

Thank you!

How are your 3 ISD's coming along?

With the amount of OSL on the tail of that ISD, it must have a 2 mile long afterburner cone lit behind it :) !

Thank you!

I finally got my base panelling the way I like it (more subdued after the forum feedback) and actually just finished gloss coating two nights ago.  I am now in the process of watercolor weathering.  I noticed a few bumps and sanded down the paint in select areas- I may just leave it like that as it helps with the panel differentiation in a very slight way and I'm sure the effect will get muted once I dull coat.  I'll take yet another WIP tonight :).

Also, thanks for the recommendation on painting under a brighter light- who knew it'd make such a difference, LOL.

Edited by DUR

If it changes anything...I ordered an Assault Frigate MK 1 from shapeways...the junkyard shipyard version (the legit version in my book) from the Utar section.

55 dollars...sure it's worth it. 

I intend to run it as an anti-ship Mk 2...whilst the carrier version will be the Mk 2

While I'm at it....I did this waiting for some pills to kick in.

12933006_1149402185069871_75603112049328

12932675_1149402165069873_67051838668780

Totally freehand...just need to clean it up and then seal it and then do a mig dark wash. I intend to do a dark grey gundeck, the exposed parts on the sides/rear and engine as well. 

Edited by Gottmituns205

Thank you!

I finally got my base panelling the way I like it (more subdued after the forum feedback) and actually just finished gloss coating two nights ago.  I am now in the process of watercolor weathering.  I noticed a few bumps and sanded down the paint in select areas- I may just leave it like that as it helps with the panel differentiation in a very slight way and I'm sure the effect will get muted once I dull coat.  I'll take yet another WIP tonight :).

Also, thanks for the recommendation on painting under a brighter light- who knew it'd make such a difference, LOL.

Nice. Post some pics when you get a chance to check out the progress, if you want to. Are you going to do some kind of lights on them as well once you got the hull the way you want them?

still hate the afmk2 for the record. 

Noted for the record.

Now go out and do something about it.   :D

(looks at 5 neb-b's, 6 CR90's, 2 MC80's, 3 MC30C's, AND NOT ONE mkII on the shelf)

I think I did...

I kinda have hope for this bird...I'll see how she looks post dark wash. Either way she'll either find a home in the fleet or end up on fleebay so I can buy another. 

The base Mk 2 paint job is nice...I'd just modify it slightly if I had a chance to do it all over again. 

Work with slightly more progress!  Slightly...

IMG_00681_zpsgcqivtxq.jpg

All three of my Imperials panel shaded, glossed, then selectively sanded.  The one on the right has had further panel de-contrasting with light grey watercolor wash as well as a bit of definition on the trenches and guns with black wash.  I'm hoping to finish it soon (well, finished sans windows/engine effects at least).

Here's a close up of that one on the right:

IMG_00691_zpsv3ogxjcs.jpg

Apologies for my very blurry picture and bad lighting!  I've been trying to get those black washes nice and subtle on the guns/trenches- too bad that doesn't photograph well :).

I'm also still tweaking a few of the panels with some very translucent dark grey watercolor.  I wanted the panels to look different if you stared at them, but close enough in color that it looks like one color from a distance in average lighting.  Perhaps I should borrow someone's DSLR or something...

For my windows, I have a bottle of strontium aluminate aqua blue paint as well as some very small, circle die cut white glitter.  Not sure exactly how this is going to work, but I'll give it a shot once I finish and seal up the basic paint apps.

Comparison pick to before!

IMG_12311_zpsf8lgawow.jpg

Just as many shades of grey, just much closer together now.  That, and the panel lines obviously knocked down quite a bit.  And of course, worse lighting :P

Edited by DUR

I call this one done!

I honestly went half mad doing the panels...the model is...funky to work with as it splits into four pieces and the recesses at the joints are flat out hallowed spaces...so I had to make do with that.

I took some inspiration and decided to make it a flag ship (red command tower.)

The goal here is she will be a Mk 2 B Carrier Variant...whilst my Mk 1 (from Utar) will be a gunship. 

12967887_1151266804883409_19346407405898

12916834_1151266801550076_35708460732011

12976914_1151266798216743_90563201636174

Painting has been a bit on hold due to a number of reasons, but I have been trying to do the base colours of my second modified CR90, this time with Projection experts.

I'm still in the fixing the base colours step but I hope to be finished this fairly soon.

A couple of (not amazing) pictures...

IMG_3727_zpso73p2os1.jpg

And the other side...

IMG_3724_zpsbkyx51h0.jpg

Definitely not the finished product but you (hopefully) get the idea of what it may turn out like (although this is insignificant when compared to the awesome work you guys have been doing!).

I spent this morning painting Gloss onto the Cockpits of just a couple of TIE Squadrons.

12994295_258425027833238_502439553535504

Final Grey Touchups to be Done, A second coat of Royal Guard Red on the Advanced and TIEs (Vader and Mauler), then Bloodstripes on Interceptors (Soontir) and TIE Fighters (Howlrunner)...

And then its on to (almost) the same amount of Rebels...  (12 X-Wings instead of 16 TIE/ln)