Sign in to follow this  
Sixter

Tie f/o and the 7 tie swarm.

If you want to use the new core set/TIE Fo expansion named pilots you'll probably end up using 5/6 TIE at maximum. I think that the old TIEs have still very good options (Howlrunner and a flanker Backstabber) but of course it's up to you to play a mix of old/new TIEs (including the Gozanti TIEs) or a pure TIE Fo swarm. 

Personally, Zeta Leader + Wired + Ion Engine Mk2 will be a standard choice when running TIE Fo's

The cheapest TIE/fo is 15 points meaning if you intend to use that model TIE fighter exclusively in your swarm without supplementing any original TIE's you will max out at 6 ships instead of 7.

Are you willing to mix in any of the original TIE's or do you just want the new ones?

FOs are overcosted and it's best to run just one for the ability and mix it up with regular ties. Whisper+miniswarm is still a good option although not the most competitive one, and Howlrunner with black crack squadrons is also good.

FOs are overcosted and it's best to run just one for the ability and mix it up with regular ties. Whisper+miniswarm is still a good option although not the most competitive one, and Howlrunner with black crack squadrons is also good.

Over costed? I was of the mind that an improved dial, +1 hull, and access to the TL action for only 3 pts was actually a STEAL. These ships actually feel like they can win end games with reliable red dice from TL + F stacking. Normal Ties feel way more unreliable.

Over costed? I was of the mind that an improved dial, +1 hull, and access to the TL action for only 3 pts was actually a STEAL. These ships actually feel like they can win end games with reliable red dice from TL + F stacking. Normal Ties feel way more unreliable.

Whenever I've flown against FOs it turned out to be a turkey shoot. It's one of the reasons I've opted for a third K-Wing instead of a TFA Core, I've never seen a TIE/FO flown effectively.

while the statement is heavily exaggerated and oversimplified, fact is that the Epsilon Squaddie is less efficient than the Academy Pilot. Those 3 points are not worth the 3 point increase, as the extra Ties or upgrades you can jam into a list will give you greater returns than a Tie Fighter with a shield and better dial

with FOs, you gotta run the ones that you couldn't just replace with vanilla Tie Fighters. These are

1.) All the named pilots (though thoroughly unimpressed by Omega Ace), but especially Epsilon Leader, Omega Leader, and Zeta Leader due to how awesome their abilities are

2.) Stuff with tech slot upgrades, most prominently Comm Relay (combo with Juke on at least an Omega Squadron and these babies can punch through Aggressors)

basically, exactly like the T-70, it needs its individual expac to be viable (alternative is just Poe and Epsilon Leader for immediate usefulness, though PTL Zeta Ace is certainly a fun and annoying little bugger)

Edited by ficklegreendice

I will say this: the FO dial is a freaking dream to fly

and that the dial largely doesn't matter when you're only piddlying out 2 red dice, though.

which is why the Juke + relay combo is so nice. Holding onto that evade doesn't do much for your red dice, but it helps mitigate your opponent's spikey greens. Also, unlike PTL, it leaves your red maneuvers open.

the FO is a very lovely ship, but the price increase for no change in offensive punch makes it strictly inferior to the Tie/ln as an investment. Solution: increase their offense in a way that vanilla Ties cannot (or provide utility that they cannot, ala Epsilon Leader)

Omega Leader is incredible in the late game for a mere 24 points (PTL) or 26 if you want to improve his odds with Weapon Guidance

Zeta Leader is, almost, a PS 7 3-dice ship for 22 to 23 points (guidance or predator) which is crazy value.

Juke + Relay is unique to the FO so far due to the tech slot + evade + EPT on the generic omega (can use on Red Ace, but it's stupidly situational). It is the only imperial generic that can really use Juke well, because other generics can't modify it while having an evade present (ala Sabers/royals). The pilots that can, particularly named Advance, are considerably more expensive (worth it, but more expensive and thus only fit in certain lists)

As others have said, the FO's don't 'swarm' very well, since each one is at least +3pts compared to its fighter counterpart.  Thus, if you want a swarm (7 or 6 ships), then you can really only work in one of them easily (such as Eps Lead for AOE stress removal or Omega+DTF). 

However, I'm starting to wonder at potential for a solid 5 ship Imperal 'half-ace' squad.  Its not really a mini-swarm (although you could form up with Howlrunner or other Ties as needed), and its not really a 3 ship Ace list.  Imperials really haven't seen much 5 ship builds yet bar a few exceptions (ACDC is pretty fun).  However, with so many high teens-low 20s ships, you can mix and match a bunch of independant above average PS together.  Between Ω lead, Eps lead, Scourge, Wampa, Backstabber, (and even Ω Ace, Mauler, Eps Ace, or Omega/black with crack), you have a good set of ships that are each hitting above their weight class.  You even have the newer options of the Adv and TAP open if you can spare a few more points.  Once you have 5 of them on the table, there is the potential of 'target saturation'.  Before, backstabber (or Mauler) would have a bullseye on himself because he would hit harder than any other single Tie fighter.  Now, I see it as having 4-5 'Backstabbers' on the table, each with their own style.  Dunno, I'm hoping it could be a viable arc-type, I guess time will tell.

Edited by Texx

It is the only imperial generic that can really use Juke well, because other generics can't modify it while having an evade present (ala Sabers/royals).

Can you explain what you mean by modifying juke?

It is the only imperial generic that can really use Juke well, because other generics can't modify it while having an evade present (ala Sabers/royals).

Can you explain what you mean by modifying juke?
Comm Relay means you can stash your evade token from way back when. Other ships require you to take the evade action every turn to activate Juke, which comes at the expense of modifying your attack roll. Edited by Sparklelord

modifying the red die roll is what I meant

Sparkle's got it

FOs have a little evade purse to keep Juke active while focusing (+Howlrunner if available), Advance have Accuracy Corrector (most likely Juno or Strom) and Vader (two actions, baby!) as I feel having to set up both ATC and Juke over 2 turns is too prohibitive apart from Vader (maybe Alozen if you're amazing)

If you ran 7 Tie/fo build, would it be a crime to use Normal Tie pilots, and corresponding ship stats, and use the FO model for uniformity?

like if I ran howl with Fo's for gameply sake, she is in a normal tie, but I just use the FO model. is that legal?

Edited by Sir Orrin

If you ran 7 Tie/fo build, would it be a crime to use Normal Tie pilots, and corresponding ship stats, and use the FO model for uniformity?

like if I ran howl with Fo's for gameply sake, she is in a normal tie, but I jsut use the FO model. is that legal?

m'yes, it's illegal (they are different ships with different models, even if they look similar they are physically different)

what isn't illegal is paying someone to paint your Lns as FOs

which is just troll and I'm going to do it

modifying the red die roll is what I meant

Sparkle's got it

FOs have a little evade purse to keep Juke active while focusing (+Howlrunner if available), Advance have Accuracy Corrector (most likely Juno or Strom) and Vader (two actions, baby!) as I feel having to set up both ATC and Juke over 2 turns is too prohibitive apart from Vader (maybe Alozen if you're amazing)

Yes i see... thats why i´m looking forward to the v1 for juke management

However i have seen someone exploiting the com relay on the t70 red squadron veteran by using jan ors crew to assing them the evade

Edited by Taiowaa

Slightly off topic, but does the improved Tie Advanced have a place as the seventh ship in the swarm? Would probably be a Tempest with either Accuracy corrector or the Advanced Targeting Computer.