Sign in to follow this  
VaynMaanen

Move Over Brobots… Let the Real Bounty Hunters Do The Job

For those that are curious, here are my last 4 tournament results with this list:

Crucible Feeder Event: 5-1. Loss came at the elimination final, against a Top 16 Worlds opponent. I defeated him during swiss.

Galactic Cup (VASSAL): 4-1. Loss came at top 32 round against Dash/Corran. Had Corran left at 1 hull, with Bossk behind him at 6 hull. I proceeded to make the most bonehead maneuver ever and flew my ship straight facing the edge with no way of staying in. It was one of those moments when you flip the dial and realize you made a mistake, but it’s too late. Could have easily defeated Corran if I had gone for the turn to get a target lock and stay behind him.

Local League Season: 5-1, placed 1st. Loss came during a match against Poe/Dash. I decided to chase after Poe for about 6-7 turns and of course with his regeneration and good rolls I got obliterated by Dash in the process. It was close in the end however, as a shot from Bossk could have ended the game with a crit converted to 2 hits, but it was blocked by a good defensive roll from Dash. I won the final 4 matches.

Store Tournament, 27 players: 4-1, placed 6th. Only loss came in the last round, against an IGB/2 Y TLT. I drew an injured pilot on Boba Fett early, which completely neutered him for the rest of the game. Ironically, my opponent also drew injured pilot on his TLT Y the same turn, which had no effect. This was before the new damage deck, I don’t miss the old deck :)

I’m still trying to crack that undefeated record with it in a tournament. But so far there have been no real match up problems, and the losses have come due to bad luck or pilot errors on my part.

Edited by VaynMaanen

This looks like a lot of fun, and I love that you're challenging some of the more "conventional wisdom" sorta players out there with two hulking, scummy behemoths duking it out against the rest of the galaxy. What would you say is your most difficult matchup? Bossk's ridiculous auxiliary arcs with those wonderful Scum crews and Boba's maneuver shenanigans really allows this list to maintain actions / consistent damage output when one might expect otherwise. 

As you pointed out, and as I've found when flying Scum Boba, damage mitigation seems to be the most difficult thing. How often do you find yourself taking Evade over a Focus or Boost with Boba? 

This looks like a lot of fun, and I love that you're challenging some of the more "conventional wisdom" sorta players out there with two hulking, scummy behemoths duking it out against the rest of the galaxy. What would you say is your most difficult matchup? Bossk's ridiculous auxiliary arcs with those wonderful Scum crews and Boba's maneuver shenanigans really allows this list to maintain actions / consistent damage output when one might expect otherwise. 

As you pointed out, and as I've found when flying Scum Boba, damage mitigation seems to be the most difficult thing. How often do you find yourself taking Evade over a Focus or Boost with Boba? 

Thanks for the comments!

The most difficult match up I've had is Super Dash/Corran. It really comes down to luck, and your opponents skill with the list. At times I get caught chasing Corran, and a critical roll here or there will keep him alive for another turn, which is yet another turn I'm leaving Dash free to take huge chunks of my ships apart. I've found it easier to go after Dash first and try to stay within his blind spot, and taking the occasional shot or two at Corran to force him to go on the defensive.

I usually like taking the evade action when I have at least 2 ships within range 1. The rerolls allow you to still be able to modify your attacks. Focus is effective when you might not be taking much return fire. Boost is critical if getting a Range 2 shot might be more beneficial so you can stress the target.

My favorite scum boba used Navigator and ID. It was super maneuverable, but a little too squishy. After playing against Bossk I truly understand how lethal that 180 degree arc is. It puts the ship on a totally different level than the lambda. I hope to see you list go undefeated in the store championships!

I think the double tactician is what really make this list shine.  That being said I really think you want gunner on Bossk for two reasons. The potential double stress in a wide arc is something aces really need to avoid like the plague.  Secondly, gunner gives aces a real hard time.  Typically you get the gunner effect where they use their token is such a way as to only take 1 damage and avoid gunner triggering (particularly Corran who will just regen it), but with Bossk if you have a crit, they can't afford to take a hit as it will proc Bossk's ability.  This forces them to use their tokens and give you a potentially brutal gunner shot.  

That being said, I do really like both Outlaw Tech and K4 on the 666 so I do actually like your list a lot.  I find you almost want to stop every second move just to prevent moving too fast, though with engine this is less important I guess.  I always find that the 666 moves too fast and even turning doesn't help you get guys in arc (it is deceptive how far your arc shifts).  

It pains me to not use the Hound's Tooth title on Bossk though, even though I know in my heart of hearts that there are better more competitive options available.  

I think the double tactician is what really make this list shine.  That being said I really think you want gunner on Bossk for two reasons. The potential double stress in a wide arc is something aces really need to avoid like the plague.  Secondly, gunner gives aces a real hard time.  Typically you get the gunner effect where they use their token is such a way as to only take 1 damage and avoid gunner triggering (particularly Corran who will just regen it), but with Bossk if you have a crit, they can't afford to take a hit as it will proc Bossk's ability.  This forces them to use their tokens and give you a potentially brutal gunner shot.  

That being said, I do really like both Outlaw Tech and K4 on the 666 so I do actually like your list a lot.  I find you almost want to stop every second move just to prevent moving too fast, though with engine this is less important I guess.  I always find that the 666 moves too fast and even turning doesn't help you get guys in arc (it is deceptive how far your arc shifts).  

It pains me to not use the Hound's Tooth title on Bossk though, even though I know in my heart of hearts that there are better more competitive options available.  

I agree that gunner is extremely useful for Bossk to force his ability through, but such an expensive upgrade, and I can't afford to give up the crew slots already filled. If there was anything that I would drop it would be Outlaw Tech, the other 2 are too critical to the list.

But this would force me to drop glitterstim on Boba, and then make the list 100 points, which starts to take apart some of its strengths. It definitely could be worth a look though

Have you fought any dedicated arc dodgy lists like palmobile + aces, triple squint, or some Jake, Tycho, X amalgamation? How have you fared against those? Also have you faced any TIE swarms or BBBBZ with it? My issue with the YV has been that with no defensive tech like Ysanne or 3PO it dies way too quick to kill it's point's worth.

Great post. Looks like a solid list with good amount of punch and hit points. Deals stress and can reposition. Nice record with it.

You actually gave me an idea for my own potent variant.

Firespray-31: · Boba Fett (39)

Veteran Instincts (1)

Proton Bombs (5)

Engine Upgrade (4)

Tactician (2)

· Slave I (0)

Glitterstim (2)

YV-666: · Latts Razzi (33)

Engine Upgrade (4)

Gunner (5)

K4 Security Droid (3)

· Bossk (2)

More stress output. Razzi debuffs Boba's target and her own with Bossk, if necessary. She needs dampeners - perhaps swap proton bomb for it and conner net.

Major Juggler's analysis aside, Razzi might benefit from Title here. If you concentrate on her first to reduce stress output and her ability then you have to get the Z95 too. If you chase Boba, she punishes foes and keeps over 50% of list points.

Have you fought any dedicated arc dodgy lists like palmobile + aces, triple squint, or some Jake, Tycho, X amalgamation? How have you fared against those? Also have you faced any TIE swarms or BBBBZ with it? My issue with the YV has been that with no defensive tech like Ysanne or 3PO it dies way too quick to kill it's point's worth.

I know for a fact he faced Palpmobile+Vader and Soontir in the Galactic Cup. He absolutely murdered them. Not sure he even took hull damage the whole game.

Bossk always surprises me when I play against him, and Tactician Firesprays are literally just way better ships to play than normal Firesprays, especially when combined with more Tacticians. Nice list and nice job, and thanks for sharing! I'll be excited when the YV666 takes off a bit more. That ship is cost effective and MUCH harder to arc dodge than at first glance. White 4 FWD and 3 Banks make that ship feel very good.

I have faced Palp+2 aces many times, and I never seem to have an issue with the list. Taking Palp out of the match first seems to be the key, at least for my list.

I have faced TIE swarms and they are also a fairly good match up. Boba loves getting into a furball with them to earn all the rerolls while Bossk takes pot shots from a distance.

I don't think I've faced BBBBZ, but I've faced some Rebel variances that include B wings. I would need to take out at least one without much return damage before I can start getting aggressive, I would think, but they do pop fairly quickly.

What do you think of this for an alternate Bossk build:

Bossk (35)

Calculation (1)

Engine Upgrade (4)

Inertial Dampeners (1)

Gunner (5)

K4 Security Droid (3)

Tactician (3)

I like that Calculation can be used in the Aux. Arc and Gunner/Tactician is amazing. But it loses VI and the very useful Outlaw Tech, which helps keep the dial open.

What do you think of this for an alternate Bossk build:

Bossk (35)

Calculation (1)

Engine Upgrade (4)

Inertial Dampeners (1)

Gunner (5)

K4 Security Droid (3)

Tactician (3)

I like that Calculation can be used in the Aux. Arc and Gunner/Tactician is amazing. But it loses VI and the very useful Outlaw Tech, which helps keep the dial open.

Calculation is a bit of a problem on this Bossk build for two big reasons: you're losing the PS bid against aces, which Bossk's auxiliary arc is essentially built for destroying, and you're also not relying on Mangler Cannon.

With Veteran Instincts, you have the pilot skill to maneuver after the aces and use Bossk's Engine Upgrade to your advantage. This allows you to keep Aces in arc or get into position to spring a trap next turn. 

A Mangler Cannon can fire at ranges 1-3 and deny any range bonus to a defender. This means that pesky Imperial TIEs or even Soontir are only getting their normal defensive rolls instead of any range modifiers. Three red dice against three green dice is going to give you a very good chance to hit, cancel a crit with Bossk's pilot ability and inflict some serious hurt on a fragile ace. Sure, a Mangler can't take advantage of the auxiliary arcs, but in a list like this Bossk should be slow-rolling anyway to maintain as wide a range of fire as possible. 

Aside from those points, if you're using Engine Upgrade on a large base ship, your action is almost always going to be Boost. Bossk and other Scummy ships can rely on Engine Upgrade because of fantastic Scum crew like K4 or Outlaw Tech. Calculation is going to require a Focus token, meaning you have to give up re-positioning with a Boost for that turn, which can leave a low-agility ship like the YV-666 open to a laser-spanking. 

I have faced Palp+2 aces many times, and I never seem to have an issue with the list. Taking Palp out of the match first seems to be the key, at least for my list.

This seems incredibly surprising to me since I absolutely want to lose Palpatine first assuming he doesn't just die for free. What build are they using and how aggressively do they play their shuttles?

To be honest, because of the stop maneuver, I tend to want aces to go after Bossk.  It really restricts them because they have to pull maneuvers they generally don't want to to clear you (just in case).  

I surprisingly had some good success with Lone Wolf of all things on Bossk. If it is active you up your defence quite a bit, even with one green dice.      

I'm curious what a standard deployment and opening is for this list. What about your choice and placement of rocks?

I'm a big fan of the YV and will definitely be giving this a shot. I know glitterstim is excellent but I might run this list with inertial dampners on Boba instead to give him some extra manoeuvring options when stuck in the scrum. It also brings the list down to 98 points for that initiative bid against soontir and corran.

This seems incredibly surprising to me since I absolutely want to lose Palpatine first assuming he doesn't just die for free. What build are they using and how aggressively do they play their shuttles?
More or less, I stress Soontir/Vader on the approach, and while they are clearing the stress behind my ships, I hone in on the shuttle. Some times it only takes 2 turns to take it out.

This has been against different people with different play styles.

Edited by VaynMaanen

While I would never question Scum Boba, I'm still just not as much of a fan of Bossk. For the same price, I could take IG88B. His boom-and-zoom maneuverability pairs well with Boba's more measured approach, especially with VI to help him tangle with the aces.

I've played Boba/IGB before, great list!

While I would never question Scum Boba, I'm still just not as much of a fan of Bossk. For the same price, I could take IG88B. His boom-and-zoom maneuverability pairs well with Boba's more measured approach, especially with VI to help him tangle with the aces.

I've played Boba/IGB before, great list!

Seconded - that was my regionals list, very effective and fun to fly