Sign in to follow this  
Darkfine

Armada Armageddon

Yeah so, I want to play out the battle of Endor or the like (well a part of it anyway) and still be done in time to not hate the game after.

Rough outline for a condensed ruleset.

Moving is handled with a tape measure and a simple 90° template. Shooting is done with a "battery" rule using traditional dice. Squadrons would work as groups adding their values together in some formula I've not given much thought to.

Now I know how much some of you hate 40k and anything that bears it's resemblance but for the sake of wanting to push around huge numbers of ships I think it is well worth the attempt.

I'd love to hear thoughts!

...The Armada engine is perfectly fine even for larger games with bigger play spaces?

A 6x6 Armada game would be kind of glorious actually, maybe up the turn count to 8 too for an all-day engagement. More than enough play space to let a SSD run around for a few turns. Hmm....

Try the normal Armada rules, with 600 to 1000 point builds. Play on a standard 3x6 space, don't worry about objectives the first time, and limit upgrades on all but the Flag ships. One upgrade each, or 20% of the ship's base value. Trust me you will have plenty of space.

Keep the pace moving & it is great! You get the full battle of Endor type experience. For more than 1200, you will need an area wider than 6 foot to have room to set up and maneuver properly. 3 foot is perfect. Anything else and you are only delaying engagement, unless there is some scenario you have planned that requires a wide battlefield.

It's a long game, but mistakes and success are magnified by the scoope of the battle.

It helps if you can set up, take a break, and then run it out.

generally when i play 1000 point games, the only two rules i change/add are the game board is now 6x4 instead of 6x3, and you move 4 squadrons at a time (squadrons are what kills the pace of the large games in my opinion)

ive played a few games this size, and my game group have aspirations of playing a full 1800-2000 point game at some point soon.

I want to, at least once, play a 1-2 thousand point game with multiple cap ships on each side blasting away.

Of course, I still prefer the quick(er) normal game and I like designed around constraints that tournament points/style provide. So it'd be a rare thing indeed. Also why I'm not all that interested in X-Wing epic play.

I fail to see any fun in playing this with any but the standard rules.

I'm totally planning on a 1000 plus battle, and I'm thinking on at least five hours to play, which is fine.

Friend and I do 600 point games.

Objective: Total destruction of the other fleet.

Turn count: until someone gives up or last capital ship gone.

Map size: 6 long x 3 wide

We start at 1pm for setup and fleet building. Actually play at 2pm and tend to go until 7ish.

Edited by Valmoon

I fail to see any fun in playing this with any but the standard rules.

I'm totally planning on a 1000 plus battle, and I'm thinking on at least five hours to play, which is fine.

Well sure if you have 5 hours to play one game then good on you.  Not really sure why you are here though.  To let everyone know?

I think the only things to break the game at higher point levels are admiral abilities (yeah, five MC80s with Ackbar!), and Objectives (Opening Salvo gets insane!). But you can restrict the former to certain clusters of ships per admiral and the latter by not using objectives.

for those who have done massive games, would love to see some battle reports.

I think the only things to break the game at higher point levels are admiral abilities (yeah, five MC80s with Ackbar!), and Objectives (Opening Salvo gets insane!). But you can restrict the former to certain clusters of ships per admiral and the latter by not using objectives.

(Sorry I'm really new to the forum and slow at intelligent thought at the moment long work weeks.)

Battle reports?

(Sorry I'm really new to the forum and slow at intelligent thought at the moment long work weeks.)

Battle reports?

People often take pictures of games in progress and write up a turn-by-turn of what happened.  They're a lot of fun to read and you learn a lot as well.  Here's one from another thread:

I ran a couple more games with this fleet after making some modifications.  Battle report here:

Whatttttt players are actually breaking away from the 400 point game and playing outside the box...........wow

this is awesome........shock........gasp...........That is what this game is designed for. The battles at endor or yavin or countless other ideas. The smaller scale for the ships allow massive fleets hence the reason I have 7 core sets, and 6 gladiators, 6 Assault frigates and now slowly working on increasing wave two ships. I am slowly finishing my 36" SSD and need at least another 2 x MC80 and 2 x ISD. I have at last count 40 capital ships per side and

60 squadrons of fighter/bombers for each side as well.

Edited by stuh42asl

Battle reports?

People often take pictures of games in progress and write up a turn-by-turn of what happened.  They're a lot of fun to read and you learn a lot as well.  Here's one from another thread:

I ran a couple more games with this fleet after making some modifications.  Battle report here:

http://concentratefire.blogspot.com/2015/12/more-fun-with-mc-30s.html

Next time I run or play a big game I will perhaps I'll make a topic for suggestions on fleets to go with it.