Sign in to follow this  
LeighPouse

The House Rules I use, what are yours?

Hi guys, thought I'd share the House Rules that I use in my games

General

• Roll Obligation at the end of a session to give the GM more time to prepare your stories coming into the narrative
  • After joining the Rebel Alliance may spend a week "Training" to gain the Recruit Talent Tree
  • Once a destiny point has been flipped, it cannot be flipped back until the next encounter
  • 3 Advantage/Threat can be traded for a Success/Failure where applicable
  • When fighting a Minion group, can only target/kill one minion at a time
  • Armor Stacks as long as it makes sense
  • When using a Dark Side pip to use force abilities you do not have to flip a destiny point but rather take 5 points of conflict to increase chance of going dark side

Skills/Abilities

• Lightsabre duels are Lightsabre VS Lightsabre (Skill), you gain a new "Duel" attribute that is between your wounds and strain. When it is depleted you are defeated and at the mercy of your opponent
  • If you perform a skill check with no ranks in that skill (only characteristic contributing) then add a setback dice to the roll to show lack of experience
  • Any ability/talent that removes 2 setback dice from a check adds a boost die if no setback dice are present
  • All items can be sold for a flat 50% rate, Negotiations success' increase the price by 10%

Force

• Force users gain boost die when trying to sense another force user depending on their force rating, 0-1 – background noise (no boost), 2-3 – 1 boost, 4-5 – 2 boost, 6+ - 3 boost

So those are my House Rules, what do you think? and what are some of your House Rules?

Thanks, LeighPouse

I've been adopting some tweaks to vehicle related combat. That, and I like how F&D does the XP and credit bonuses at chargen, so I'm using those for all future games, as well as the vehicle options that Edge uses (a cost of no more than 120k). Anything else is a minor statistical tweak to a weapon or something.

-first success on an attack roll deal base damage instead of base damage +1. only further success increase the damages you deal. I never understand why just hitting a guy mean you deal him more damage that what your weapon is capable of. 

- when a PC is unconscious during a fight and he got attacked, the attack as no difficulty and each success increase the critical roll by 10 plus all the other time they got critical injuries. I wanted a way to kill PC more easely.

As for what I think about your houserule LeighPouse

General

• I think everyone play like that so nothing really new.
  • So you gave the recruit for free to those who want to "train"?
  • I dont understand why you limit destiny point use. What is your problem with them?
  • I dont like this one.
  • I am fine with my players slauthering minions in one strike.
  • I allow my players to wear multiple clothing or armor and have their various bonus but I will remain with the Raw for the soak increase.
  • No, I am fine with the Raw

Skill and abilities

• I think it is commonly accepted by the community that this house rule is bad and drag a fight too much. 
  • Why bother?
  • Ok . Why not.
  • My players dont loot and resell items so I am not really familiar with the reselling. What are the official rules for that? 

Force

• Why not. I can see the logic behind your idea.
Edited by vilainn6

-first success on an attack roll deal base damage instead of base damage +1. only further success increase the damages you deal. I never understand why just hitting a guy mean you deal him more damage that what your weapon is capable of. 

As for what I think about your houserule LeighPouse

General

• So you gave the recruit for free to those who want to "train"?
  • I dont understand why you limit destiny point use. What is your problem with them.
  • No, I am fine with the Raw

Skill and abilities

• Why bother?
  • My players dont loot and resell items so I am not really familiar with the reselling. What are the official rules for that? 

My reply to your reply is

- I thought that was the Rules anyway, that your first success did base damage and every success after that did +1

General

• Yes I give them "Recruit" for free, I don't think the Rebel Alliance would want "un-trained" people working for them
  • I'm not really limiting it, I'm just trying to stop a never ending upgrade on a single roll
  • This one is strange I know, but it's for emergency use only. They can still use the RAW but this is to symbolize giving into the Dark Side in an emergency

Skills

• Again this is if you need to use a skill in an emergency and it is also an incentive for PC's to get skills in areas they might otherwise leave alone
  • The official rules are, You get 25% of the objects value up front and each success adds 5%, this seemed to low to me and with my rule it allows you to sell something for more than it's worth. Which we know all good swindlers are capable of

Thank you for your reply, it made for interesting reading,

Leigh

I think this is to simplify the math involved.  "Base damage plus number of successes" is (slightly) easier to remember than "Base damage plus number of successes minus one".

I think this is to simplify the math involved.  "Base damage plus number of successes" is (slightly) easier to remember than "Base damage plus number of successes minus one".

Not to mention the weapons were adjusted in the beta process so the +1 base damage was already taken into account when balancing them out.

kaosoe, on 09 Dec 2015 - 12:59 PM, said:kaosoe, on 09 Dec 2015 - 12:59 PM, said:

papy72, on 09 Dec 2015 - 12:49 PM, said:papy72, on 09 Dec 2015 - 12:49 PM, said:

vilainn6, on 09 Dec 2015 - 01:02 AM, said:vilainn6, on 09 Dec 2015 - 01:02 AM, said:

Not to mention the weapons were adjusted in the beta process so the +1 base damage was already taken into account when balancing them out.

So far, I had no problem with that rule and we have been playing for more than a year. Maybe I wil reverse back if a problem occurs.

Thank Leigh for your explanation. I will just add about the destiny points that player and GM can only upgrade the check once by the rules so the never ending upgrade on one roll is not supposed to happen. Plus a player or a GM cannot reflip the same destiny point for the same check.

Edited by vilainn6

• The official rules are, You get 25% of the objects value up front and each success adds 5%, this seemed to low to me and with my rule it allows you to sell something for more than it's worth. Which we know all good swindlers are capable of

25% is pretty realistic.  The item is "used" or "black market" so it can hardly be resold for the normal 100% price, usually a merchant might get 50% of the market price for it.  The merchant's markup is often 50-100 of their buying price, so 25% plus 5% per success keeps the economy reasonably scaled.

To me this defeats the purpose of having a narrative axis in the dice results.  Might as well play D20.  Before asking the player to roll, the GM should have some idea of how the narrative result can be used.  If you or the players really can't think of anything, then just default to Strain.

• Any ability/talent that removes 2 setback dice from a check adds a boost die if no setback dice are present

This doesn't come up often for me, because it's easy to find a reason for setback.  But even if there weren't I wouldn't use this.  Such talents don't represent increased skill, so much as being so competent at their skill level that they can handle distractions.  If there aren't any distractions, they don't necessarily get better...

My group makes healing crits harder. Instead of once per week per crit with a medical check, it's just once per week. Any remaining crits need time in a bacta tank, though the once per day Resilience checks usually clear those out in time. To make sure there are still consequences, every day spent in a bacta tank requires 1K in credits for cycling in fresh bacta. 

Before the house rule, all crits were wiped after combat without any issues. Now, especially for the less Resilient crew members, critical injuries sometimes persist from one session to the next. The PCs are a lot more careful and tactical in combat, and more amenable to diplomatic situations.

To me this defeats the purpose of having a narrative axis in the dice results.  Might as well play D20.  Before asking the player to roll, the GM should have some idea of how the narrative result can be used.  If you or the players really can't think of anything, then just default to Strain.

I agree. It makes me think of #10 of 11 ways to be a better roleplayer.

Embrace Failure

Failure can be embarrassing. I know that I get pretty het up when the dice don’t favour me – when I’ve spent ages waiting to have my turn in a large game, say, or when I’m using some special power, or when I’ve been talking a big talk for a while or described some fancy action – and I use some pretty bad language, too. And not “fun” bad language, like we all do when we’re gaming. Like threatening “is this guy okay” bad.

And that’s not cool. I need to learn to treat failure as a story branch, not a block. Why did I miss? Why didn’t my intimidation roll work? Why didn’t I pick the lock? Why was I seen? Who worked out that I’m the traitor? What other options can I explore?

Some systems build this in by default – Apocalypse World, for example – and they give you the ability to somehow affect the world whenever you roll the dice, not just fail to affect someone’s Hit Points. That’s great! We need to get ourselves into that mindset by default. We need to view failures as setbacks and explain why our character didn’t achieve their goal, and we need to understand that failure is not the end of the world.
Edited by verdantsf

All items can be sold for a flat 50% rate, Negotiations success' increase the price by 10%

Skills

Thank you for your reply, it made for interesting reading,

Leigh

Just so you know, the Negotiation skill lets you sell items for 25% for the first success, 50% for the second success, and 75% for the third success.  The +5% per success starts on 4 successes and up.  This is outlined on page 150 of EotE, "Selling and Trading".  So it's not as bad as you originally thought.

And with good Negotiation plus the right talents, you can feasibly exceed 100% of the normal retail price.

And if they’ve spent that many points to get their various attributes, skills, and talents to the point where they can do that, then I’d say that the PC in question probably deserves everything that s/he gets. ;)

We have a house rule that for every "working day" spent preparing for a Modification you can get a Boost towards the eventual check.  Obviously this won't work for a campaign where the characters have a lot of downtime but in a fairly rapidly paced game it means they can either try and do things quick and risky or take time to be sure. 

We've got a few House Rules. Here's our take on Critical Hits and Wounds which work well for us.

Critical Hits

One of the problem with the RAW is that crits are very swingy: After spending your hard-earned Triumph or 4 Advantages, you might make your nemesis drop his blaster or you could blind him. Kinda anti-climatic. There is also the rationalization problem with instant effect crits (such as "You fall prone.") somehow needing to be healed so that they don't make future critical hits more serious. Huh?!

I believe that critical hits, ultimately, are about dealing damage. They shorten fights, the effect is obvious and it simply feels good deal a boatload of damage.

Critical Damage

A Critical Hit is activated exactly as per RAW.

When a Critical Hit is scored, you add twice the number of successes to the base damage (instead of just the number of successes).

Any effects, talents or qualities that effect the Critical Injury Roll add (or subtract) a further 1 point of damage per +/- 10 modifier.  

Additionally, a 1D10 is rolled and the Critical Hit Side Effect Chart below is consulted.

Critical Hit Side Effect Chart

1- Slowed: Until end of the encounter, the target can only act during the last allied Initiative slot.

2 - Staggered: The target takes Strain equal to the twice the number of net Successes

3 - Distracted: Until the end of the encounter, the target cannot voluntarily suffer strain to activate any abilities or gain additional maneuvers.

4 - Dazed: The target is disoriented (+1 Setback Die) until the end of the encounter.

5 - Demoralized: Flip one light side Destiny Point to a dark side Destiny Point (reverse if NPC)

6 - Knocked Down: The target is knocked prone and suffers 1 strain.

7 - Left Vulnerable: Attacks against the target gain a Boost Die until end of the  encounter

8 - Lame: All Movement related skills are at +1 Difficulty until end of the encounter. This generally includes: Athletics, Brawl, Coordination, Lightsaber & Melee checks.

9 - Debilitated: The target suffers 1 strain each time he performs an action until the end of the encounter

0 - Stunned: The target is staggered until the end of his next turn.

Example:

Feevo scores a solid hit with her Vibrosword with 3 Successes and a Triumph against Inquisitor Zaar. She decides to spend the Triumph to turn this hit into a critical.

The damage calculation is: 4 (Base Damage, Strength 2 + 2) + 2 x 3 Successes = 10 + 1 Point from the sword's Vicious 1 Quality + 1 from Feevo's "Lethal Blows" Talent resulting in a massive 12 points of damage, which are reduced by Soak and a further 2 point due to the Zaar's Durable 2 Talent.

She also roll 1D10 on the Critical Side Effect Chart, coming up with a 2. The target takes a further 6 points of Strain as he is Staggered by the attack!

Wound Levels

As Wounds starts building up, there are various debilitating effects.

INJURED

If a character's Wounds are more than half (round up) of his Wound Threshold but less than our equal to his Wound Threshold, he is considered Injured.

Being Injured means the character is considered Disoriented until sufficient Wounds recover to take him below this level.

INCAPACITATED

As per RAW but without suffering a Critical Injury

MORTALLY WOUNDED

When a character accumulated Wounds in excess of his Wound Threshold plus twice his Willpower Score, he is Mortally Wounded.

A Mortally Wounded character is also Incapacitated and cannot recover Wounds until the character is stabilized.

• Stabilizing a Mortally Wounded Character:

One attempt can be made per hour and it requires a successful Average Medicine Check. The difficulty of this check goes up by 1 (until it "Formidable" is reached) for every failed stabilization attempt.

Once stabilized the character Mortally Wounded condition is removed and the character may begin to recover Wounds normally.

• Death Checks

After each hour an unstabilized character must pass an Average Resilience Check or die.
A Triumph generated by this check may be spent to immediately stabilize the character.

Example:

Feevo has a Wound Threshold of 11 and a Willpower of 2. Her Wound Levels would be:

0 to 6 Wounds: OK

7 to 11 Wounds: Injured

12 to 15 Wounds: Incapacitated

16 or more Wounds: Mortally Wounded

Edited by HorusZA

I never liked the Obligation system as written.  I love it as a concept, but as my adventures tend to have them out in the wilderness or stranded or in the middle of a giant rebel/imperial battle, the rolling randomly every session thing never worked for me.

Instead, I rule that the obligation must be something that can significantly effect the story in some way, then I bring it in when appropriate.

My other big house rule is the Once Per Session, Per Player, you may spend a Destiny Point to reroll one of your rolls.  And that's to prevent the occasional Really Bad roll that screws everything up,

Hi people! Here are the ones I use. Most of them are canon oriented.

• Starship and vehicle rules
    • No hiperdrive speed, just jump lenght. Short, Medium, Long... Speed is "plot speed".
    • Ion rarity now is 8+ and it's removed as a "common weapon" from starships. Also gain properties: Immobilize and Stun.
    • Separated scales. Vehicles (or light armored) are x5 and Starships (or heavy armored) are x10.
    • Improved Evasive Maneuver: Speed 5+; 2 Upgrades/Downgrades Defense/Attack.
    • AT-ST Stats. Hit Points reduced from 12 to 8 (Still on observation).
    • Developing a rule to consider distance even on space, nut just size difference. Add a consideration about target comp possible failure.
    • I have a heavy patch for ship/vehicle Shields and Hull in other post.

I cannot post the rest sorry, I will EDIT it later.

I'm considering the following: all weapons can be used at all ranges, however, anything beyond the listed range of the weapon is automatically a check against a daunting difficulty. It is possible to hit with a pistol from a range of 100m. It's just incredibly unlikely.  Thoughts?

I'm considering the following: all weapons can be used at all ranges, however, anything beyond the listed range of the weapon is automatically a check against a daunting difficulty. It is possible to hit with a pistol from a range of 100m. It's just incredibly unlikely.  Thoughts?

There’s a talent you can get that will let you use a weapon at one range band further away than the normal range for the weapon.

By using this house rule, you’ve just made that talent less than useless.

There’s a talent you can get that will let you use a weapon at one range band further away than the normal range for the weapon.

By using this house rule, you’ve just made that talent less than useless.

That talent isnt useless, a pistol can now shoot at medium range before you get a daunting difficulty rating. It might be slightly less awesome, but not useless

The only house rule I use is more of just bad(ish) GMing. I just dont keep strict track of Obligation. I use the roleplay implications of oweing a guy/group, or racking up a bounty, but i dont really use the numerical side of it at all.

Edited by thecowley

I never liked the Obligation system as written.  I love it as a concept, but as my adventures tend to have them out in the wilderness or stranded or in the middle of a giant rebel/imperial battle, the rolling randomly every session thing never worked for me.

Instead, I rule that the obligation must be something that can significantly effect the story in some way, then I bring it in when appropriate.

My other big house rule is the Once Per Session, Per Player, you may spend a Destiny Point to reroll one of your rolls.  And that's to prevent the occasional Really Bad roll that screws everything up,

Agreed, I don't roll for it, I just worked their obligation into the plot and it comes up as and when it makes sense for it to.  Higher obligations don't come up any more often (I don't beleive in players being able to buy more time in the limelight, epseciall not ift hey get rewarded for it), they are just harder to get rid of.

And there’s a whole host of 20-25 point talents that you just nullified as a result of that.

In fact, you didn’t just nullify them individually, you nullified them all unilaterally, so there’s probably hundreds of points worth of talents that you just nullified with that rule.

And your free version is way better than any of those expensive talents that you just nullified.

It’s your game, you play it the way you want.

But there have been lots of times where I would have used that kind of feature early in the career of my PC, where in fact because they failed it turned out that something way more awesome ended up happening.

It’s a cooperative story telling process. The PCs don’t always have to win in order for the story to be a good one. In fact, it’s frequently better for the story if they’re just barely scraping through, and fail more often than they succeed.

IMO, if the situation is so bad that they really do need to be able to make that re-roll or otherwise there is no other possible outcome than for them to die, then I’d say that the situations should be modified so that this isn’t necessary.

But like I said, it’s your game, you play it the way you want.

House rules

All players after character creation get characteristic state bonuses. They each get a plus 2 to any one stat. Then they get a plus one to 3 stats.

If a player raises Brawn or Willpower after character creation it does raise the traits linked to them.

If a player has both Parry and Reflect then they get a plus one to their totals for each. This is a one time bonus.

All players begin with two specialization. One isuch from their career and the second one needs to be from a different career and story driven.

Any specialization after the first grants the player a skill rank in two of the 4 specialization skills as long as they don't currently have ranks in them. If a player chooses many specializations eventually they may nother gain this is they run. Out of skills with no ranks.

Criticals can not be raised more than nine times from any way.