Sign in to follow this  
Belamont

Dengar preview is up

His ability (and likelihood) of doing two harmful conditions per attack make his deployment cost reasonable, IMO.  This would essentially take most figures out of commission for a round even if the damage from his attack doesn't finish them off.  It doesn't necessarily translate well to fighting a horde-based opponent with lots of figures, but conditions are not to be taken lightly.

This is probably the key reason: they didn't want the IP to be able to bring him in for a single round of threat late in the campaign when he can so thoroughly wreck a hero's day, hence the cost of 7.

Late game, he's probably less of a threat. 8 health and a black die won't last very long against someone like Diala, especially when you can't bring him back once defeated.

His ability (and likelihood) of doing two harmful conditions per attack make his deployment cost reasonable, IMO.  This would essentially take most figures out of commission for a round even if the damage from his attack doesn't finish them off.  It doesn't necessarily translate well to fighting a horde-based opponent with lots of figures, but conditions are not to be taken lightly.

This is probably the key reason: they didn't want the IP to be able to bring him in for a single round of threat late in the campaign when he can so thoroughly wreck a hero's day, hence the cost of 7.

Late game, he's probably less of a threat. 8 health and a black die won't last very long against someone like Diala, especially when you can't bring him back once defeated.

Every round the rebels don't kill him he has a pretty good chance of taking away 1/4 of their actions. Even if it only takes two actions to kill him (which is entirely plausible with strong rebels but not guaranteed) then those are actions they NEED to spend.

Personally, I think he is one of the most balanced threat cost/play threat characters we have gotten.  He is a character you cannot afford to ignore, but cannot afford to waste time killing.  He isn't a tank, so once you commit to taking him down, he should fall relatively quickly.  He's got good range, so he can play keep away while still disabling heroes.  He isn't too expensive that he will never be played, but he's expensive enough that the imperial really needs to question whether he is worth two rounds of threat instead of deploying royal guards.

It seems the mercenaries are filling the 'annoying but not truly deadly' niche very well.

I think his cost is fine. In fact, I think flavor-wise it is hilariously low. If the Imperial Commander can't afford 3 elite stormtroopers he can just hire Dengar.

Dengar wasn't exactly top tier if I remember right, robot brain or not.

He's always been a joke between my brother and I. A joke that Robot Chicken agrees with