Sign in to follow this  
Knucklesamwich

Ezra gets an EPT?

Why in the heck does Ezra at less then stellar PS 4 rate an EPT but a total stud like Kir Kanos flying as an elite interceptor pilot not get one??? Horton Salm at PS 8 must be fuming!!! Come on FFG I will pay a few bucks for updated pilot cards. I know you guys like to play it safe which in my opinion is much better then run away power creep but some of these guys got a real kick in the jewels compared to this punk kid.

PS is pilot skill. Wouldn't a pilot skilled enough to be an 8 like Horton be much more skilled then a PS 4 kid? Not to mention scrub tie fighters or A-Wings? Someone like Kir Kanos who would be fielded quite a bit if he had an EPT is pretty much never used just because of the lack of EPT. If you know anything about Kanos he deserves an EPT being one of the most elite royal guardsman. I think nearly everyone would be on board with a few tweaks.

Don't get hung up on the fact that once upon a time, in an FFG office far far away, the following conversation happened:

FFG1: Right, so each pilot is assigned a number which shows who gets to react to enemies by moving last, and who gets to shot the enemy before the enemy shoots them. What shall we call it?

FFG2: Pilot Skill?

FFG1: Sounds good to me. It's not as if overly rabid players in the distant future will try taking a dictionary to every miniscule word of this game. It is only a beer & pretzel game after all!

FFG1 & FFG2 laugh together.

Mechanically, the PS value is only a measurement of how quickly the pilot can react and fire. The PS value has little to do with if the pilot gains any cool abilities, and certainly not with whether the pilot gets to choose a second cool ability on top of the ability they already have.

It's called Pilot Skill, but consider it mechanically.  It is a pilot's ability to predict where his opponent will be and to react the most quickly.  That is why it doesn't equate to the right to have an EPT.

Elite Pilot Skill

on pilots with LOW PILOT SKILL

Elite Newbies?

Sounds like a bad scenario in P2W MMO xD

It's called Pilot Skill, but consider it mechanically.  It is a pilot's ability to predict where his opponent will be and to react the most quickly.  That is why it doesn't equate to the right to have an EPT.

Elite Pilot Skill

Elite Newbies?

Exactly! What's "elite" about PS 4? It should be called simply pilot talent because the trend is looking like you don't have be be elite to have an EPT.

Elite Pilot Skill

Elite Newbies?

Actually it's an EPT - Elite Pilot Talent.

Pretty much sums it up.

Talent is not the same as skill.

Edited by Democratus

Learning curve on part of the designers perhaps!?! Maybe these will be reasons to have interesting new packs down the road with different ways of tweaking pilots/ships that we haven't thought about having!?!

I wouldn't over think it and play with what they have given us! There are plenty of great options!!!

I stopped being hung up on who gets an EPT and who doesn't the moment Arvel Crynyd, the LEADER OF GREEN SQUADRON, was left without one. But guess who DOES get an EPT?

GENERIC GREEN SQUADRON PILOT.

I am hoping this signals FFGs movement towards all named pilots outside of those on ships which have none at all (K-wings, Punisher, etc.) receiving EPTs.

it's actually very simple

FFG ****** up with a lot of old pilots, including Kir, Lorrir, the rebel Ys etc.

why on god's green earth would you want them to continue making those mistakes?

Quoted for Truth. Some new pilots don't get Elite Upgrades for Balance Reasons (Wampa and Chaser are the same price as a BSP, Epsilon Leader would be bonkers with PTL, Blue Ace would have Phantom levels of mobility with PTL+BB-8), The Punisher and K-wing have no room on the card for Elite Upgrades, and we get the occasional mistake like Graz and Red Ace, but as a whole FFG is learning to give Elite Upgrades to most pilots above the initial Generic. Edited by Squark

FFG ****** up with a lot of old pilots, including Kir, Lorrir, the rebel Ys etc.

Exactly. When comparing new pilots, compare them to the ones that currently see play. If that comparison is not far off, all is well. If FFG kept releasing Lorrirs, that's when things would be bad... 

Some pilots that never hit the table are not seen because they don't have EPT's and should. Kir Kanos is begging for one and he would be playable then right now he is a casual play only choice same as Lorrir. I would love to go back and look at ships like Krassis Trelix but with how good things like predator or outmaneuver are working it's not worth it.

I've always thought of your numerical pilot skill as "combat experience" and EPTs are more personal flair.

With combat experience you can hone your reaction speed, decisiveness, and intuition to the point where you outgun and out maneuver your enemy.

Certain ships allow for, or in some case require, a little personal flair while in flight. Certain cumbersome ships like the Y-wing and the Lambda shuttle are so stubborn and unresponsive that personal flair doesn't translate into the oafish thing. Other ships like the A-wing and TIE fighter were so suicidal to pilot that only pilots with certain brovado, style and natural talent could survive long enough to gain combat experience. This is why they gain EPTs early.

FFG has a kind of soft divider between Ps 1-6 and 7+ as to who gets EPTs. There are exceptions here and there and it does leave a lot of PS 5-6 pilots struggling with out EPTs but it does kind of make sense. Unique pilots already have a pilot ability. Think of this as a built in EPT. Is there any reason to think that Arvel Crynyd was that much better than a green squadron pilot? All we see him do is crash and burn. Isn't PS 6 enough to illustrate that he's the leader of green squadron?

So the reasoning of who gets EPTs and who doesn't makes total sense to me, but it does get in the way from a balance perspective.

The only one that bothers me, is Oicunn. He's PS 4 and flying a giant boat. Why does he get an EPT? Ezra is at least force sensitive.

Edited by Sekac

Some pilots that never hit table are not seen because they don't have EPT's and should. Kir Kanos is begging for one and he would be playable then right now he is a casual play only choice same as Lorrir. I would love to go back and look at ships like Krassis Trelix but with how good things like predator or outmaneuver are working it's not worth it.

Lorrie needs more than an EPT. Token-less Interceptors are dead Interceptors, as are double stressed interceptors. Lorrie as it stands now is the first type. An EPT would just make you him the second type.

Quoted for Truth. Some new pilots don't get Elite Upgrades for Balance Reasons (Wampa and Chaser are the same price as a BSP, Epsilon Leader would be bonkers with PTL, Blue Ace would have Phantom levels of mobility with PTL+BB-8. Red Ace would be fine IMO, though)

Kir Kanos and Horton were mistakes (Lorrir on the other hand needs more help because his ability precludes most other forms of action economy). No need to make new pilots bad because of past mistakes.

This as well. There are SOME pilots who do NOT deserve an EPT thematically OR mechanically. Squark provided some prime examples here (although I'm not convinced Blue Ace would be over the top with an EPT myself).

It's very understandable to have a number of named pilots in Tie Fighters without EPTs. Especially those at low PS. For example- If Wampa came with an EPT slot, he would effectively replace the Black Squadron pilot (although you can only run one of him). The Black Squadron pilot isn't a bad buy as is, so FFG made sure Wampa didn't have an EPT to differentiate them.

The issue comes when FFG releases named, non-EPT pilots who-

a) are middle ground in PS, meaning they are already at a disadvantage

b) are only a few points below their EPT'd brethren

c) lack a powerful enough pilot ability to make up for the lack of an EPT

and, a bonus factor, d) find themselves in far too many "what-if" scenarios, as they would seemingly be useful if they did have an EPT. Find how many awesome EPT combos you can come up with for Arvel with innate EPT. I dare you.     

Here is a list of currently released named non-EPT pilots (where other EPT pilots are available) and their usage in my play experience.

Awings

Arvel Crynyd- very low usage

Gemmer sojan- low usage

Hwks

Roark Garnet- medium usage (powerful pilot ability. Does not meet requirement C.)

Torkil Mux- medium usage (powerful pilot ability)

T-70

Blue Ace- low usage (newer pilot)

T-65

Tarn Mison- medium usage (powerful pilot ability)

Biggs Darklighter- above average usage (powerful pilot ability)

"Hobbie" Klivian- very low usage

Garven Dreis- very low usage

YT-2400

Eaden Vrill- medium usage (Benefits from current meta. Often considered better ability than Leebo's)

Y-wing

"Dutch" Vander- low usage

Horton Salm- low usage

Drea Renthal- very low usage

note: While these pilots use has increased since the release of TLT, in comparison to the number of generic Y-wings with TLTs, their usage is still heavily dwarfed.

Firespray

Krassis Trelix- very low usage

Emon Azzameen- low usage (very different pilot ability gives him a nice place in the game)

Tie Advanced

Lieutenant Colzet- low usage (newer pilot)

Tie Fighter

Night Beast- low usage

Winged Gundark- very low usage

Backstabber- medium usage (powerful pilot ability)

Dark Curse- medium usage (powerful pilot ability)

Tie Interceptor

Fel's Wrath- very low usage

Lieutenant Lorrir- very low usage

Kir Kanos- very low usage

note: Tie Interceptors seem to be the definition of a build dependent ship. Unfortunately for these guys, part of that build requires an EPT slot.

Tie/fo Fighter

Epsilon Leader- medium usage (powerful pilot ability. Likely no EPT to prevent powerful combos)

Kihraxz Fighter

Graz the Hunter- very low usage

note: Graz suffers especially because you can go down to the Black Sun Ace and grab an EPT which is better than Graz's pilot ability for just -1 PS (and at PS 6 no one really worries about that), or you can pay up for Talonbane Cobra, who is a PS 9, with an EPT, and a better pilot ability.

M3-A Interceptor

Laetin A'shera- very low usage

note: not an awful ability honestly. May just be more a Scyk problem than an EPT problem.

YV-666

Latts Razzi- low usage

Moralo Eval- low usage

So, there you have it. Outside of Biggs, I don't believe any of these pilots are seen as top level competitive. Whether an EPT would change that or not, I don't know. But it certainly would make them more interesting and intriguing, and there would be no harm in that.

Edited by Kdubb