Sign in to follow this  
TheMaster42

Beginner's / Shopper's Guide to Competitive Lists

Hello! I'm currently maintaining an article: A Beginner's / Shopper's Guide to Competitive Lists

The article lists common, competitive lists in the current meta. For each list, it tells:

• How much the list would cost at retail.
  • What expansions you'll need to fly it.

It also has a little bit of strategy for each list:

• What makes the list good.
  • How it plays.
  • Some tips for flying against it.

I hope you will find it useful!

I'm also looking for suggestions or feedback. Mainly, I'm looking for more common, competitive lists that should definitely be included! Thank you!

Nice article 42. As a new player I found it quite helpful as a summation of info. However, 1 suggestion. To fly any of those lists, you are going to need a Core Set as well; even if not using any of the Core ships or upgrades. It seems obvious, but a totally new player making a shopping list MAY overlook the obvious. Thanks again for taking the time for putting the article together.

I think you missed something for the worlds 2015 list... I don't see any expansions listed that include VI (unless the transport does? I don't have that yet).

Slave 1 and MF do I believe. Edit: never mind I read the post too fast.

Edited by Tbetts94

I think you should have an "On a Budget" section too.  The Empire can be tricky in this area.  Here is a recommendation.  In friendly games and casual store tournaments it works better than many "hardened" vets realize.

2x Omega + Opportunist.

2x RGP + PTL + Shield

Cost (at MSRP):

TFA Core: $39.95

Imperial Aces: $29.95

The list is easy to Fly, but teaches a lot of strategy.  Send the FOs in hard and flank with the RGP.  All four of these ships are more durable than their stats let on.  This is a fun list for a new player and not too complicated (or expensive).  Plus, nothing is wasted (but that Rebel scum X-wing)!

2x Omega + Opportunist.

2x RGP + PTL + Shield

Nice and simple list. Would work just as well with swapping around a few EPTs for variation as well, like Expose or Outmaneuver on the Omegas, or dip into the 2 and 1 point EPTs and put autothrusters with title on the RGPs.

I think you should have an "On a Budget" section too.  The Empire can be tricky in this area.  Here is a recommendation.  In friendly games and casual store tournaments it works better than many "hardened" vets realize.

2x Omega + Opportunist.

2x RGP + PTL + Shield

Cost (at MSRP):

TFA Core: $39.95

Imperial Aces: $29.95

The list is easy to Fly, but teaches a lot of strategy.  Send the FOs in hard and flank with the RGP.  All four of these ships are more durable than their stats let on.  This is a fun list for a new player and not too complicated (or expensive).  Plus, nothing is wasted (but that Rebel scum X-wing)!

Quick and simple, I like it. I still think playing ties is the best way to learn the game, even if you plan to pick up rebels or scum later on.

2x Omega + Opportunist.

2x RGP + PTL + Shield

Nice and simple list. Would work just as well with swapping around a few EPTs for variation as well, like Expose or Outmaneuver on the Omegas, or dip into the 2 and 1 point EPTs and put autothrusters with title on the RGPs.

Exactly! The list easily can grow, change, and evolve as a player's collection grows.

I think you missed something for the worlds 2015 list... I don't see any expansions listed that include VI (unless the transport does? I don't have that yet).

EDIT: Looks good now :)

Thanks for catching that! I updated it and found some typos in the other lists as well!

2x Omega + Opportunist.

2x RGP + PTL + Shield

That's a nice list. The cheapest I've ever seen, too! Mind if I write it down? I think I'll definitely do a, "budget/starter lists" at some point.

For this article particularly, I'm looking for truly competitive lists, that are near the absolute top of the meta. Any lists that will commonly appear that you guys can think of?

Edited by TheMaster42