Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
DarkenAvatar

can we please call the mc30 a squid

Recommended Posts

16 minutes ago, CDAT said:

And this is official how? As in just because one person wrote it does not make it so if it is not an official stance.

Huh? As Dras pointed out, I'm not sure exactly how "official" you expect any of this to be. :P

Having said that, and as I have done many times before, I will point out that the Glossary does not reflect my opinion on how I think we should call things. It simply reflects the language and terminology that is actually used by forum members.

You can try it yourself: a forum search for the term "shrimp" returns 21 pages of results. A search for "squid" returns three pages, two of which consist entirely of posts in this thread.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, DiabloAzul said:

Huh? As Dras pointed out, I'm not sure exactly how "official" you expect any of this to be. :P

Having said that, and as I have done many times before, I will point out that the Glossary does not reflect my opinion on how I think we should call things. It simply reflects the language and terminology that is actually used by forum members.

You can try it yourself: a forum search for the term "shrimp" returns 21 pages of results. A search for "squid" returns three pages, two of which consist entirely of posts in this thread.

That is all pre-squid-enlightenment.

You are about to see more of the Squid.

#Squidtruth

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Drasnighta said:

In so much that ANY PART OF THIS DISCUSSION will EVER be official, right?

When you put up a link to  a glossary of Armada slang like it is the end all answer to the question, but it is only one thought on what the slang should be. And it is not an official slang so it is still in development or at least differing opinions are out there. That is what I was trying to point out, that the glossary of Armada slang is not official so just because someone put that the MC30 is called the Shrimp in it does not mean that is what it is really called any more than when I call the MC75 the boated puss pocket does not make it the real nickname for it (just in case you can not figure out I think the Mc75 is super ugly, stats are great but the model is to ugly to own). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, CDAT said:

...but it is only one thought on what the slang should be.

No it isn't. It's only the result of research on actual usage.

3 minutes ago, CDAT said:

so just because someone put that the MC30 is called the Shrimp in it does not mean that is what it is really called

Your causality is the wrong way round. It's not called shrimp because it's in the Glossary. It's in the Glossary because it's consistently called shrimp by forum members.

EDIT: ...and if/when that changes, then the Glossary will reflect this, of course!

Edited by DiabloAzul

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, DiabloAzul said:

Huh? As Dras pointed out, I'm not sure exactly how "official" you expect any of this to be. :P

Having said that, and as I have done many times before, I will point out that the Glossary does not reflect my opinion on how I think we should call things. It simply reflects the language and terminology that is actually used by forum members.

You can try it yourself: a forum search for the term "shrimp" returns 21 pages of results. A search for "squid" returns three pages, two of which consist entirely of posts in this thread.

I do not expect it to be official at all, but what I was trying to say with the official part is that if the powers that be came out and said it is the MC30 "toothpick" that would be the official nickname for it, now that would not mean we had to call it that just that is the official one. Kind of like the A-10 Thunderbolt II, more commonly called the Warthog, but officially it is the Thunderbolt II.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, DiabloAzul said:

No it isn't. It's only the result of research on actual usage.

Your causality is the wrong way round. It's not called shrimp because it's in the Glossary. It's in the Glossary because it's consistently called shrimp by forum members.

I can not say what forum members use, as I do not spend much time on many of the pages here, but I can say that in real world use I do not hear it called the shrimp by players in the stores. Now yes this is subjective as each may (probably are) be different just like each group is different, it is also much harder to track as you can not go back and count up how many time it was called A and how many times B, you have to go off of what you heard which may not even have been all the conversations (likely is not).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, CDAT said:

I do not expect it to be official at all, but what I was trying to say with the official part is that if the powers that be came out and said it is the MC30 "toothpick" that would be the official nickname for it, now that would not mean we had to call it that just that is the official one. Kind of like the A-10 Thunderbolt II, more commonly called the Warthog, but officially it is the Thunderbolt II.

 

I think the part bolded above is the issue here. If we are talking "Official", FFG calls it the "MC30c Frigate". We, as a community have called it "the shrimp boat" since it came out. We were wrong....it's a squid. 

#squidtruth

:P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, CDAT said:

I can not say what forum members use, as I do not spend much time on many of the pages here, but I can say that in real world use I do not hear it called the shrimp by players in the stores. Now yes this is subjective as each may (probably are) be different just like each group is different, it is also much harder to track as you can not go back and count up how many time it was called A and how many times B, you have to go off of what you heard which may not even have been all the conversations (likely is not).

The point of the Glossary is to give people indications of the words that are used on the forum.  

That's...  the whole meaning and method of it.  To find what is being used, and report that as what is being used.

 

Outside of the forums, well, we're not policing or reporting on that.

It sounds like you've misinferred the point of the Glossary.

 

Now, that being said, that happens.  It also happens in the Rules forum - as people tend to take my opinions of what is being discussed on the forums as legal gospel that they can "use" against people outside of the forums...  No, its just a discussion point.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We’d only be concerned that @DiabloAzul‘s list didn’t have it if we were claiming it was already recognized as the squid, because he’s documented every current slang term. The point is that it should be called the squid. Even if the term remains contested, we can still use it enough to warrant an eventual place on the list. The movement has been awakened, and shrimpists can’t put us back in our box now. Viva la squidvolution. :P

#squidsquad

 

Edited by The Jabbawookie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a wonderful definition approved for the glossary:

Squids - MC30s according to a growing number of zealots.  They claim that the MC30 is not a shrimp.  It is a squid in intent (Mon Calamari, duh) form (duh, it looks like a squid) and function (jets in and grapples, uses its defenses if needed and gets the **** out. Shrimp just ambush, not MC30-like at all)  The shrimp is a lie.

#squidtruth

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Noosh said:

And thus begins the brutal name war. One faction squid, one faction shrimp, and the third gorilla faction of gherkin. 

THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE!

There is no conflict.

There is only a small, vocal, but ultimately inconsequential rabble pushing back against the legitimately established order.

#crustaceanorthodoxy

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...