Sign in to follow this  
Dr Lucky

Special Modifications! Technician Career Book Announced!

Do you think they might hint at TFA?

No, if they are announcing it now and it's a Q1 book then odds are strong that it won't have any hints for TFA. The boys at FFG don't have any insider information and won't find out about TFA until Dec 18th like the rest of us. Any book slotted for Q1 is not likely to have any movie hints. Q3 and Q4 though are possibilities. 

Edited by Kael

I might have to talk my GM into letting me respec my astromech Technician a little bit after this comes out, because Cyber Tech will probably make more sense than a cross-career Doctor specialization as my reach into the medic role. I wonder if Droid Tech will have any synergy for Droid Technicians.

I am pleasantly surprised that they did not just reprint Rigger in here (although it's a great spec and a natural fit for a Technician).

Maybe the modder will have some of the ranked stuff from the Rigger thus making a nice synergy...which would be even better.

that makes the most sense, since it sounds like Modder is more focused on modding personal equipment, while Rigger was all about modding vehicles.

The Lasat were effectively wiped out.

All I neec to say is:

Please have Bith!

Why would they have Bith? As far as I know Bith are not known for being technicians. I suspect Bith may be in the Tatooine book if they do one.

Considering most of the bith we've seen in the movies were musicians, we didn't get them in the colonist book with entertainer, the correlation between career and race is not a definitive guide.

I just want Bith.

I also want a tattooine book to never see the twin lights of day.

All I neec to say is:

Please have Bith!

Why would they have Bith? As far as I know Bith are not known for being technicians. I suspect Bith may be in the Tatooine book if they do one.
Considering most of the bith we've seen in the movies were musicians, we didn't get them in the colonist book with entertainer, the correlation between career and race is not a definitive guide.

I just want Bith.

Tatooine is a great planet to have a source book for in regards to Edge. Why wouldn't you want it?

Sluissi and/or Verpine would be cool.

Verpine are in Strongholds of resistance.

Sure, but there are more than a couple of species that appear in multiple lines.  It wouldn't be crazy to have them pop up in Special Modifications as well.  I know a lot of folks don't like the duplication, but it would fit the pattern (and they are pretty appropriate for this book).

I might have to talk my GM into letting me respec my astromech Technician a little bit after this comes out, because Cyber Tech will probably make more sense than a cross-career Doctor specialization as my reach into the medic role.

If I were your GM, I'd allow it. Responding to brand new product with a "You know, that new tree really jibes with how I envision my character much better than what I have now" is a perfectly reasonable request.

Edited by Desslok

VCX-100, people.

It's the perfect PC ship! A light freighter with an attached starfighter? Who wouldn't kill to get their hands on one of those for their game?

Starfighter-equipped PC vehicles for the win!

Edit: Also: build your own wacky sidekick! It's what we've always wanted.

Edited by Prometheus878

All I neec to say is:

Please have Bith!

I just want Bith.

Tatooine is a great planet to have a source book for in regards to Edge. Why wouldn't you want it?

Because it is a perfect example of how small the Galaxy far far away feels. Most video games, comics, the movies, with a few exceptions, go to this planet. Barring Jabba and Rotti, there is seemingly little reason to go there, yet at some point everyone does. I don't hate the planet, it was very important to the Skywalker story. But not every character must land on the planet.

Space is really big. I love that the new movies are bringing the old characters, but with the sheer vastness of space i want new characters and worlds. If a dull lifeless rock gets its own source book to itself, the. The centre of the galaxy, Coruscant should get a dozen, or well 1313 of them at least. A chapter devoted to tattooine is fine. A full book? Overkill.

"Please have Jawa... Please, please.
Also Vespin would be awesome."

I was very surprised when the Jawa did not show up in the Lords of Nal Hutta book. I'd bet money they get PC stats in this book. It doesnt make sense for them to be in AoR or FaD, an the location book where they did make sense left them out...not to mention they certainly wont be in the bounty hunter book (Mandalorian-Human anyone?). 

I wouldn't be surprised if the Verpine showed up here as well.

As far as the Bounty Hunter book goes...many of the infamous bounty hunter's races showed up in the Core Rulebook (Rodian, Gand, Trandoshan), so I predict Ubese (Boushh), Farghul (Mika, Breela), and Mandalorian-Human (obviously Jango & Boba)....other options could be a specific assassin droid build (IG88), whatever race Skorr ended up being ("the bounty hunter we ran into on Ord Mantell" - Han Solo) or perhaps one of Sugi's crew from the Clone Wars cartoon. 

I was very surprised when the Jawa did not show up in the Lords of Nal Hutta book. I'd bet money they get PC stats in this book. It doesnt make sense for them to be in AoR or FaD, an the location book where they did make sense left them out...not to mention they certainly wont be in the bounty hunter book (Mandalorian-Human anyone?). 

As far as the Bounty Hunter book goes...many of the infamous bounty hunter's races showed up in the Core Rulebook (Rodian, Gand, Trandoshan), so I predict Ubese (Boushh), Farghul (Mika, Breela), and Mandalorian-Human (obviously Jango & Boba)....other options could be a specific assassin droid build (IG88), whatever race Skorr ended up being ("the bounty hunter we ran into on Ord Mantell" - Han Solo) or perhaps one of Sugi's crew from the Clone Wars cartoon. 

Bounty Hunter book needs Kyuzo or why even bother (hyperbole, obviously, but who doesn't love Embo)?

Bounty Hunter book needs Kyuzo or why even bother (hyperbole, obviously, but who doesn't love Embo)?

Zabrak seems like a possible repeat species for the Bounty Hunter book.

Kyuzo would be nice. I would like Rattataki too. Mandalorian seems possible, but I predict a Mandalorian Sourcebook as well. If not them, maybe the Barabel, Shistavanen, or the Defel.

As for this book, there are a large number of possibilities. Bith, Givin, Sluissi (although they are more 'shipwright', so maybe Engineer instead), Ugnaught, Jawa, or even something more obscure like the Anomid or Skakoan. I wonder what the likelihood of the Gree ever appearing will be...

Aside from Fly Casual, this is likely to be my favorite from the EoE line career books, and I was really hoping it would be next before the Bounty Hunter book. So, yay!

Besalisks... thank you! One of two species I've statted out for my game. (The other being Gungans, which we're getting in Nexus of Power.) I'm hoping one of the other two to be Ugnaughts, or Jawas. 

The specs sound great, although I was hoping for a shipwright sort of spec to co-exist with Rigger for the Signature Vehicle talents. Perhaps the Engineer book will have that. Or maybe Modder will have at least some of that. I wonder if we'll get Signature Weapons or Signature Armor, or some such, in Modder.

I'm guessing the Inventive Creation signature ability will be like a much more enabled version of the Contraption talent. Unmatched Calibration sounds a bit like one or two of the Gambler talents.

More slicing rules! This is great! Slicing maneuvers and actions can really spice up those scenes. Of course, it could also quickly become Shadowrun decking, where one player rules the encounter while everyone else takes a Coke 'n' smoke break.  ;)

More gear and weapons! More cybernetics! More modifications! Crafting new weapons, armor, droids, and stuff!

How will all of this fit into 96 pages?!?!

I wonder what the chances we'll see one of the new races from The Force Awakens are...there are quite a few just from the production shots and previews we've seen...and they cant have all been non-existent (chronologically speaking) during the time of the Rebellion against the Empire. I wonder if the current contract they have with Disney/Lucasfilm allows them to cross-over the new IP with the original trilogy stuff...

Daeglan, on 03 Dec 2015 - 3:58 PM, said:Daeglan, on 03 Dec 2015 - 3:58 PM, said:Daeglan, on 03 Dec 2015 - 3:58 PM, said:

That Blasted Samophlange, on 03 Dec 2015 - 3:52 PM, said:That Blasted Samophlange, on 03 Dec 2015 - 3:52 PM, said:That Blasted Samophlange, on 03 Dec 2015 - 3:52 PM, said:

All I neec to say is:

Please have Bith!

This guy doesnt agree about Bith being only musician: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Darth_Tenebrous

Edited by vilainn6

I wonder what the chances we'll see one of the new races from The Force Awakens are...there are quite a few just from the production shots and previews we've seen...and they cant have all been non-existent (chronologically speaking) during the time of the Rebellion against the Empire. I wonder if the current contract they have with Disney/Lucasfilm allows them to cross-over the new IP with the original trilogy stuff...

For this book, likely zero. The people who write the rpg aren't getting any inside information on the movie. They learn whats in the new movie when we do. So anything related to what we see in the movie would have to wait for products that go into development in the new year. 

They don't know any spoilers, but they've worked ahead of time to release X-wing related material, which takes some time to design and produce, so it's not out of the realm of possibility that they've had some foresight into the species. The RPGs have often been the largest source of detailed information regarding species we see only a few seconds off, and only biggest of nerds (usually RPG fans) would care about the intricate details of said species history, culture and planet anyway.

I find it highly unlikely, sure, seeing as we don't know how long the book has been in the works, but not impossible.