Sign in to follow this  
Joeker

I started and adventure hook at random and now I need ideas.

I started and adventure hook at random and now I need ideas. The players needed a safe place to land their newly acquired fliter and took it to a Desoleum swamp to hide for a bit, to figure out what to do next. They made some good rolls and finally found a ancient stone surface in the swamp where it was safe to land upon. While investigating the landing area they came upon a green crystal rod about a meter long and a buried opening in the stone (they had some really good rolls). I need ideas for this, I'm not sure if I want to do a dungeon crawl or what. I could just make it a small room once they dig out the opening but that feels like a waste of an opportunity. I'm thinking a Necron base but not sure how much that would throw off the game. Maybe a soon to go off Necron alarm clock. Let me know if you have any ideas/maps.    

I think a Necron base located on the sector hub-world sounds a bit too ham-handed. I'd go with either pre-Imperial (in which case the McGuffin would revolve around archaeotech) or exiled humans (secretly working on some kind of heretical project that backfired, turning their lair into a full-on supernatural house of horrors) for the explanation.

Yeah, Necrons feel a bit to much, (although I really enjoyed the look on the players faces when I said green crystal rod). Of course reading the history of the planet, Necrons are a possibility (which would explain the large swaths of molten glass made into laser emitters for lasguns). Maybe not a necron base but a xeno base assaulted by necrons long ago.  That would take care of to much unwanted xeno tech getting into the game. Hmm, ancient anti necron booby traps might be interesting, I could see a em pulse making all their equipment useless. Trapped in a xeno base without their equipment has potential. Now what kind of xeno base? 

Trapped in a xeno base without their equipment

Exactly 0 players in the entire world enjoy this plot device. Do not do this.

Green crystal rod could be just about anything. Necrons are the obvious one, but they could be Eldar or something of your own making.  The one your players found could be just one of a buried weapons cache - maybe smugglers were using this nice stone landing pad area to secret away forbidden alien tech. Then there's a trail leading off into the swamp that leads to a smuggler base that may or may not still be operational (maybe the xenos they were trading with decided to tie up some loose ends).

Hmm, I don't know a null field (doesn't destroy the equipment, just makes it useless) does appeal to me. A trap for necrons might work, I just have to think of a lot of traps and puzzles. I already have sable traders coming up in the book adventure I don't want to over do the smuggler angle. I could see a first human settlement with maybe heretical information in it. Or ancient Chaos shrine.  

More a question of how you use said plot device than the plot device in itself. 

My players were forced to ditch all their equipment to infiltrate a high security prison and it was one of their favourite mission ever. Stopping them from using their gear can be very enjoyable, if made correctly.

More a question of how you use said plot device than the plot device in itself. 

My players were forced to ditch all their equipment to infiltrate a high security prison and it was one of their favourite mission ever. Stopping them from using their gear can be very enjoyable, if made correctly.

Asking your players to take on a mission where they have to go into hostile territory basically naked is a good bit different from a random surprise booby trap that renders them suddenly naked in hostile territory, which is how the OP floated the idea. The difference is agency and I don't think it's at all controversial to say players hate it when the GM removes their agency.

I would make it something that hints at a larger conspiracy, like a xenos power generator or something. If you go the "you're stuck in this room of death traps and none of your equipment works" you might find an empty table pretty quick. If there is one thing I've learned as a GM, it is that players hate being railroaded and hate losing their hard-earned equipment even more. 

On the other hand, I wouldn't make it a big pile of xenos or archeotech weapons either. The last thing you want is for your whole group to be running around with ludicrously overpowered gear just because of a single random roll. Giving the chance to go hog-wild with such obviously valuable stuff is a recipe for disaster.

Edited by cpteveros

I was thinking the null field just stops powered items from working, not destroy them. The players all of a sudden have to rely on melee weapons (not this groups strong suit, which is why it appeals to me). Now what would a xeno race want to protect from necrons? I'm still open to ideas. OH how about a necron god shard and the players have to destroy its bindings to get out of the trap. 

Xenos are inscrutable. You don't need a reason for anything, or even a purpose for the structure - they happened across a fabulously ancient grotto-ruin. The Acolytes find it lacking any sort of identifiable characteristic other than it is obviously old, obviously xenos, and not obvious what function it served. 

Xenos are inscrutable. You don't need a reason for anything, or even a purpose for the structure - they happened across a fabulously ancient grotto-ruin. The Acolytes find it lacking any sort of identifiable characteristic other than it is obviously old, obviously xenos, and not obvious what function it served. 

For the Acolytes know, it could have been a "vacation" camp site for a Xenos race and maybe they left behind a some litter and gear and maybe a few old defense system, not all which are still full functioning or functioning properly.  Like that EMP system, well maybe it had another use, such as keeping away the pests but is misfunctioning.  Think of something like a cameleoline synskin covered remote "Game Camera" drone used by the Xenos to known what was in the camp zone

http://petapixel.com/assets/uploads/2015/07/dronehand.jpg

Prehaps a Camp Warder system like from the Inquistor's Handbook but only within the camp but well set up like the from the old movie Runway http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-AtxXcI_HaSw/UYV04W_R1eI/AAAAAAAAAEE/KgQMf6pyUk4/s1600/runaway-spider-bots.jpg set up with both a tranq load injector, well now somewhat Toxic and maybe a few packing some thing like ripper pistol.  Yet they have develped a hive mind and defend the compound inner ring, perhaps were there "generator and small mainframe is"

and a small native creature that well has made itself home and the defense grid allows it as it protects the base, but the Xenos liked them.