Sign in to follow this  
Thanatopsis

The Hero Championship 2015

AJ: Pippin (Lo) - I love it when cards have two abilities that work brilliantly both separately and in tandem. Also, Pippin just works out of the box; Galadriel needs her toys to shine.
AK: Glorfindel (S) - Forgive me my indulgence.
AL: Frodo Baggins - Beorn is just too limited in his uses at present, although with the advent of Honour Guard, perhaps he may come to have some purpose after all.
AM: Éomer - Coreagorn just doesn't do it for me any more.
AN: Prince Imrahil - With so many archetypes involving characters leaving play (Eagles, Silvan, Rohan), Imrahil is wonderfully flexible.
AO: Legolas - The whole Doomed keyword on player cards mechanic just never really appealed to me.
AP: Beregond - It's too difficult to pass up the peace of mind that the ever-defending Beregond provides.
AQ: Mablung - You don't have to build around him and can just slip him into any aggro deck, or you can build around him to maximize your resource gain.
AR: Rossiel - Although I haven't actually built a victory display shenanigan deck yet, the idea of it makes me giddy.
AS: Merry (S) - With good scrying and encounter deck manipulation, he's a threat reduction machine.
AT: Gandalf - Because Gandalf.
AU: Erestor - For purely aesthetic reasons.
AV: Éowyn - I haven't found Erkenbrand's effect particularly exciting.
AW: Aragorn (T) - Easily my favourite incarnation of Aragorn yet.
AX: Arwen Undomiel - It's difficult to contend with the 'wow' factor of a new hero card, especially when it's one that I at least have been waiting for for some time.
AY: Faramir (Le) - Same reason as Mablung. Also, I can't look past Santa.

AJ: Pippin (Lo)
AK:  Sam Gamgee
AL: Frodo Baggins
AM:  Aragorn (Le)
AN: Aragorn (Lo)
AO: Legolas
AP:Merry (T)
AQ: Haldir of Lorien
AR: Elrond
AS: Merry (S)
AT: Gandalf
AU:  Erestor
AV: Éowyn
AW: Amarthiul
AX: Arwen Undomiel
AY: Théoden (S)

AK:  Sam Gamgee
AM: Aragorn (Le)
AN:  Prince Imrahil
AP: Beregond
AU: Boromir (T)
AW:Aragorn (T)
AX: Celeborn 

AJ: Galadriel
AK: Sam Gamgee - there is some spite here, but credit must still be given to Sam for being a great hero
AL: Beorn - Vote team Bear!
AM: Éomer
AO: Gríma
AP: Beregond - Beregond is a better defender than Merry is as an attacker
AT: Gimli - once again, the alternate art from GenCon is keeping this guy at the top of my list
AV: Éowyn - the Lord is the Westofld is pretty awesome, but...
AW: Aragorn (T)
AY: Faramir (Le) - honestly, it's the people advocating for Faramir's Ent readying that swayed my vote.

Edited by Thanatopsis

Just had to create an account to vote in on this.

AK: Glorfindel (S)

AM: Éomer

AN: Aragorn

AP: Merry (T)

AS: Damrod

AW: Amarthiul

AY: Faramir (Le)

AJ: Galadriel - Static threat, card draw in spirit... I do like lore pippin, but Galadriel is an amazing hero.
AK: Sam Gamgee - 3 willpower for 8 threat makes Sam splashable in almost any deck (especially as a leadership hero). You don't even need his awesome abillity.
AL: Frodo Baggins - Frodo is still an amazing defender, especially with newer ways to keep threat down.
AM: Éomer - I like other iterations of Aragorn better, and Eomer is just fun to play.
AN: Prince Imrahil - Difficult decision, but there are now many cards that work with things leaving play (ie. eagles, rohan, silvan)
AO: Legolas - Doomed seems purely useful for solo play. Never been a fan.
AP: Merry (T) - Beregond is great, but merry is extremely splashable. He is also very fun in a hobbit deck.
AQ: Mablung - Mablung has something nearly unique in tactics: resource generation. Excellent as the sole tactics hero in a multi-sphere deck.
AR: Rossiel - I do love Elrond, but Rossiel is just fun and potentially even more powerful under the right circumstances.
AS: Merry (S) - Amazing abillity that enables a lot of other strategies - really the first time I feel maintaining secrecy for an entire game has been viable.
AT: Gimli - I still feel that having a Gandalf hero is kind of... wrong. Plus I am a huge fan of both Gandalf allies. Also, I like the risk/reward style that Gimli and Gloin employ.
AU: Boromir (T) - Extremely powerful hero given the right tools, also quite fun to play. I don't have Erestor yet, though he looks to be fun as well.
AV: Éowyn - There are other/better ways of defending, and Erkenbrand screams for solely a lore pairing.
AW: Aragorn (T) - Very fun to use, possible the best iteration of Aragorn.
AX: Arwen Undomiel - Resource acceleration in spirit? I do like Celeborn, but find the constant shuffling of silvan decks to be annoying.
AY: Faramir (Le) - Like Mablung, a very flexible hero - especially since we have so many excellent allies now.

AJ: Galadriel v Pippin (Lo) - As much as I like Pippin Lore, I like Galadriel better. Not only gameplay-wise: her art is amazing ( I do not like Magali's style a lot, but for me Galadriel had been her masterpiece until we got Arwen). She's a noldor, a much more fascinating character compared to a hobbit. Finally, Galadriel makes mono spirt decks much more fun to play, so here we go.
AK: Glorfindel (S) v Sam Gamgee - As far as power level is concerned there no doubts, even considering Sam is an exceptionally strong hero. Flavor-wise, Glorfindel is one of my favorite characters. Finally, I love how is card is so thematic in its mechanics: he has the ability to conceal himself from Sauron's gaze, but if he chooses to take an active role in the exploring and adventuring he will inexorably draw the attention of the enemy; just awesome.
AL: Frodo Baggins v Beorn - I like Beorn a lot, both as a character and as a hero. In fact, I was very tempted to vote him instead. However, I cannot help but think he almost never makes into my decks, while Frodo does and granted me some awesome moments -'Oh no, Hummerhorns engage this round! We're gonna lose a Hero! -Engages Hummerhorns, raises threat while mimicking Frodo wearing the Ring to avoid the giant buzzing wasps; follows a collective sigh of relief. :D
AM: Éomer v Aragorn (Le) - I let my sentimentalism take over on this one, and I'll go with the nostalgia of my first games, playing with Eomer the Voice of Isengard quests. He's an interesting hero too.
AN: Aragorn (Lo) v Prince Imrahil - I've never liked Imrahil too much. Loragorn is amazing.
AO: Legolas v Gríma - Controversial I know. Legolas is awesome. If I were to vote considering the flavor it would be th Son of Thranduil victorious without breaking a sweat. However, gameplay-wise my preference goes to Grima Sweettongue. First, Grima appeals to the solo player in me: he's one of the cases of a card designed to work better in solitaire than in multiplayer, while still being viable in multiplayer - if your friends aren't too particular about their threat level of course :P Furthermore, Legolas tends to dominate the deckbuilding of every deck he's in: 3x HutB, 3x Bows,3x Blades, 3x Foe-Hammer etc. While effective, it is also boring after a while. Grima however enable a host of crazy decks to function and is very very powerful: he's by no means inferior to Legolas power-wise.
AP: Beregond v Merry (T). As I've already stated (see previous round of voting) I don't like how easily Merry can be abused and I don't like the notion of a Hobbit attacking better than, say, Halbarad.

AQ: Haldir of Lorien v Mablung. See previous round, I love Haldir and he's very strong too. It's a pity, because I also like Mablung and play him quite often.
AR: Elrond v Rossiel. Not a fan of Rossiel: flavor-wise, her reference to elf-magic is great, but her personal story is lame. Elrond is great, I only wish Vilya was less of a cheeky play, but it's still fun to use.
AS: Merry (S) v Damrod. I love this side of Merry, the judicious one. The hero is also very very powerful. It's a pity he is matched against his best fellow (I have very good deck that runs both). I rate Damrod lower because, albeit good, he is forced into a limited archetype, whereas Merry is much more flexible.
AT: Gandalf v Gimli. Gandalf is Gandalf.
AU: Boromir (T) v Erestor. Despite being prone to abuse, I still like Boromir a lot. He's also one of my favorite characters in the book.
AV: Éowyn v Erkenbrand. Gone are the days in which Eowyn was the only access to high starting WP, even if she still is one of the best options. However she is also tremendously dull. Erkenbrand on the other side is the best defender we currently have, and a great character as well. And the art on him is sooooo much better than that on Eo.
AW: Amarthiul v Aragorn (T). Time will tell, but to beat his chieftain Amarthiul will have to prove his mettle more than once.
AX: Celeborn v Arwen Undomiel. Celeborn, the fashion-victim elf (sorry Magali, couldn't resist making the joke) is good, and silvans are one of my favorite traits too (and nostalgia, again). However he fits only in that kind of deck, whereas Arwen has an amazing artwork (congrats Magali, a huge improvement!) and his amazingly good. Perhaps too good. Who knows? Anyway, she got me so excited thinking about how many new decks could be built with her.. One of my new favorite heroes, for sure.
AY: Théoden (S) v Faramir (Le). I don't like Theoden (and Rohan decks in general) very much, while it looks liek Faramir could be an interesting choice for solo play - I admittedly need to test him a bit more, but he's intriguing.

AK: Sam Gamgee
AP: Beregond
AQ: Mablung
AS: Damrod
AV: Erkenbrand

I don't have much to say this time because most of the matchups involve at least one hero I haven't used or haven't used much. It seems though that I like hobbits and sentinels.

AK: Sam Gamgee
AO: Gríma
AP: Merry (T)

Okay first off... can someone explain to me how Arwen (an ally) got into a Hero bracket?

AJ: Galadriel v Pippin (Lo)
AK: Glorfindel (S) v Sam Gamgee
AL: Frodo Baggins v Beorn
AM: Éomer v Aragorn (Le)
AN: Aragorn (Lo) v Prince Imrahil
AO: Legolas v Gríma
AP: Beregond v Merry (T)
AQ: Haldir of Lorien v Mablung
AR: Elrond v Rossiel
AS: Merry (S) v Damrod
AT: Gandalf v Gimli
AU: Boromir (T) v Erestor
AV: Éowyn v Erkenbrand
AW: Amarthiul v Aragorn (T)
AX: Celeborn v Arwen Undomiel
AY: Théoden (S) v Faramir (Le)

AJ: Galadriel v Pippin (Lo): Pippin is the key card in my decks, love draw cards!
AK: Glorfindel (S) v Sam Gamgee: Sam in every deck!!! He is my favourite character, and his ability ossom. Eat it Glorfindel!
AL: Frodo Baggins v Beorn: "Mr. Frodo is not going anywhere without me"
AM: Éomer v Aragorn (Le): Éomer tramples the Orcs
AN: Aragorn (Lo) v Prince Imrahil: Toff guan, I'll  give the chance to the Prince.
AO: Legolas v Gríma: Exploring in Tactics, is superlative.
AP: Beregond v Merry (T): Always the hobbits.
AQ: Haldir of Lorien v Mablung: Amazing heroe!
AR: Elrond v Rossiel: He is the master, she is only an apprentice.
AS: Merry (S) v Damrod: I did say, always the hobbits!
AT: Gandalf v Gimli: Gimle is in the bottom of my core set.
AU: Boromir (T) v Erestor: He is more fun!
AV: Éowyn v Erkenbrand: The classic quester. No one, can beat het.
AW: Amarthiul v Aragorn (T): He and Sam, kills and kills.
AX: Celeborn v Arwen Undomiel: She is MORE flexible
AY: Théoden (S) v Faramir (Le): Engage everything and fight it!

"AL: Frodo Baggins v Beorn - I like Beorn a lot, both as a character and as a hero. In fact, I was very tempted to vote him instead. However, I cannot help but think he almost never makes into my decks, while Frodo does and granted me some awesome moments -'Oh no, Hummerhorns engage this round! We're gonna lose a Hero! -Engages Hummerhorns, raises threat while mimicking Frodo wearing the Ring to avoid the giant buzzing wasps; follows a collective sigh of relief. :D"

I just want to point out the fact that you are forgetting: Beorn is the only hero in the card pool that can engage the Hummerhorns and survive easily WITHOUT raising your threat.

Beorn 2015!!!

"AL: Frodo Baggins v Beorn - I like Beorn a lot, both as a character and as a hero. In fact, I was very tempted to vote him instead. However, I cannot help but think he almost never makes into my decks, while Frodo does and granted me some awesome moments -'Oh no, Hummerhorns engage this round! We're gonna lose a Hero! -Engages Hummerhorns, raises threat while mimicking Frodo wearing the Ring to avoid the giant buzzing wasps; follows a collective sigh of relief. :D"

I just want to point out the fact that you are forgetting: Beorn is the only hero in the card pool that can engage the Hummerhorns and survive easily WITHOUT raising your threat.

Beorn 2015!!!

YES!!!!

The thought that a bear would be afraid of some silly hornet?! Laughable. I tend swarms of angry bees, for crying out loud.

file.jpg

Okay first off... can someone explain to me how Arwen (an ally) got into a Hero bracket?

AJ: Galadriel v Pippin (Lo)

AK: Glorfindel (S) v Sam Gamgee

AL: Frodo Baggins v Beorn

AM: Éomer v Aragorn (Le)

AN: Aragorn (Lo) v Prince Imrahil

AO: Legolas v Gríma

AP: Beregond v Merry (T)

AQ: Haldir of Lorien v Mablung

AR: Elrond v Rossiel

AS: Merry (S) v Damrod

AT: Gandalf v Gimli

AU: Boromir (T) v Erestor

AV: Éowyn v Erkenbrand

AW: Amarthiul v Aragorn (T)

AX: Celeborn v Arwen Undomiel

AY: Théoden (S) v Faramir (Le)

Arwen hero is from the Dread Realm and is unreleased and unofficially spoiled.

Beorn 2015!!!

YES!!!!

The thought that a bear would be afraid of some silly hornet?! Laughable. I tend swarms of angry bees, for crying out loud.

file.jpg

Sorry Dan, had to go with Frodo for sentimental reasons. Carrock was my first AP, which I got with the base game. He has too many memories.