Sign in to follow this  
Thanatopsis

The Hero Championship 2015

Interesting First Round matchups. Pippin knocking out good old Dain was kind of unexpected at least for me. No love for the dwarfs anymore :) Look how many dwarf heroes we lost in the first round!

All right then let's go for round 2!

AJ: Galadriel (It was a big W for Pippin to knock out one main hero af a big deck archetype, but he has no chance against the 2014 Hero champion here)
AK: Sam Gamgee (Sam is such a good hero, hope he can manage to knock our this pescie Spirfindel)
AL: Beorn (Bear vs Hobbit?! Frodo will thread out himself with this abiliy in this matchup)
AM: Éomer (Two great man, hard to call but I still give Eomer the edge in this one. Such a class when it comes to pure attackpower)
AN: Prince Imrahil (And again I would take the Imrahil Eomer Combo over these two Aragorn hero versions)
AO: Legolas (Thats not even close. Don't be mad Grima ;) )
AP: Beregond (Tough one here but I vote for the wall!)
AQ: Haldir of Lorien (Both really good Wingfoot targets but Haldir can muster more value in the combat phase then Mablung. This ones a real 51:49 for me)
AR: Rossiel (Another clash of deck archetyps. I like the new and shine one better, so Rossiel in this one!)
AS: Damrod (I don't know what it is but I can't get behind the new spirit Merry...)
AT: Gimli (Such a hard choice again! Since Gimli is the last dwarf left, I will root for him. Hope he can pass Gandalf in this matchup)
AU: Boromir (T) (So close for Boromir in the last round, who would have thought that! I think he will go out here but I still vote for him in this matchup)
AV: Éowyn (Pls Erkenbrand, I know you're good and I like you but be a gentelman and step aside for the lady of Rohan!)
AW: Aragorn (T) (since I voted against Aragorn in his past two matchups, I have to give this vote to him. No Aragorn in the next round would be to harsh)
AX: Arwen Undomiel (Arwen vs Aragorn future rounds?! You bet I want that matchup!)
AY: Théoden (S) (Another close one but I think Theoden can pull more weight with his new toys then Faramir does)

Interesting round here. Some very close matchups, let's see what the people will vote for (Go Sam!).

AJ: Galadriel 
AK: Glorfindel (S) 
AL: Frodo Baggins 
AM: Éomer 
AN: Aragorn (Lo) 
AO: Legolas 
AP:  Merry (T)
AQ: Haldir of Lorien 
AR: Rossiel
AS: Merry (S) 
AT: Gandalf 
AU: Erestor
AV: Éowyn 
AW: Amarthiul
AX: Arwen Undomiel
AY: Théoden (S) 

AJ: Galadriel v Pippin (Lo) - I don't own Galadriel yet (even though I know what she can do :D) and I love Pippins low threat and card draw.
AK: Glorfindel (S) v Sam Gamgee - The hardest decision for me this round. I love Glorfindel since I firs saw him (well and light of Valinor :P), but it's not any different with Sam, who has the rare 3 willpower on a Leadership hero + readying in combination with stat boosting.
AL: Frodo Baggins v Beorn - Easy decision for me, I like a Loraragorn, Frodo Deck that just takes a beating and sokes it up with Frodo jsut to go back to normal after you have set up your allies (or the other Players have :D)
AM: Éomer v Aragorn (Le) -​ I love my allies and want to keep them all!
AN: Aragorn (Lo) v Prince Imrahil - Imrahil is cool, bur Loragorn is cooler^^
AO: Legolas v Gríma - Grima Needs more love :D
AP: Beregond v Merry (T) - Beregonds strong defense isn't strong enough to compete with the crazy bloodbath merry and another strong attacker can bring over your enemies with the help of 1 or 2 hitches :)  ​
AQ: Haldir of Lorien v Mablung - Tatics doesn't offer that much ressource generation, while Haldir all in all isn't that special.​
AR: Elrond v Rossiel - A Powerhouse vs an interesting Card. Powerhouse wins.
AS: Merry (S) v Damrod - Don't like traps to much.
AT: Gandalf v Gimli - I'm not a dwarf fan and it is no shame for our last dwarf to go out against the Grey Wizard.
AU: Boromir (T) v Erestor - This was a close one, but Erestor's deckbuilding possibilities made the difference​
AV: Éowyn v Erkenbrand - Go, go, go My Core-Set-questing-love :)
AW: Amarthiul v Aragorn (T) - Love both, but only one can go on. And I am hoping that at least 2 Aragorns will meet^^​
AX: Celeborn v Arwen Undomiel - Arwen is good, but Celeborn pretty much enables a silvan deck AND has 3 willpower, what is really rare in Leadership.
AY: Théoden (S) v Faramir (Le) -​ For Gondor! (No fan of the Rohan ally discarding)

Holy, Boromir Tactics won with one vote from Treebeard! Lot of fun matchups!

AK: Sam Gamgee

AL: Beorn

AO: Gríma

AP: Merry (T)

AR: Elrond

AT: Gandalf. The toughest choice ever. Seriously.

AU: Boromir (T)

HA! Nice one for Brandon!

AX: Celeborn

AJ - Pippin (Lo) 

AK - Glorfindel (S)

AL - Beorn

AM - Eomer

AN - Aragorn (Lo)

AO - Grima

AP - Beregond

AQ - Mablung

AR - Elrond

AS - Merry (S)

AT - Gandalf

AU - Erestor

AV - Eowyn

AW - Aragorn (T)

AX - Arwen Undomiel

AY - Faramir (Le)

This round is much more interesting. Many more difficult decisions for me.

AJ: Galadriel - I love Pippin but he can't match up to the Lady of the Wood.
AK: Sam Gamgee - Down with the overpowered nonsense! All glory to the gardener!
AL: Beorn - First really difficult decision. Frodo is probably th better hero, but I have more fun with Beorn.
AM: Aragorn (Le) - Versatility wins for me, even though I don't use Leadership Aragorn too much at this point.
AN: Aragorn (Lo) - The threat reset is just too good.
AO: Gríma - Cost reduction is super powerful and uncommon, whereas there are plenty of options for good attacking heroes.
AP: Beregond - Merry does some crazy stuff, but Beregond is just so reliable.
AQ: Mablung - Haldir requires keeping everyone's threats down and powering him up. Mablung just enables so many power plays just by being there.
AR: Elrond - I love the idea of Rossiel and the victory display stuff, but I've yet to build a deck with her that I'm totally happy with, whereas Elrond features in multiple decks that I'm very happy with.
AS: Merry (S) - Haven't built a Damrod/Trap deck yet, whereas Merry's ridiculously good threat reduction enables my Dunhere deck, as well as being a big help to a bunch of others.
AT: Gandalf - Gimli was a beast back in Core Set days, but as fun as it is to pump him up, it's not as impressive as a Gandalf deck.
AU: Erestor - Both have the potential for some pretty insane power, but I find Erestor the more interesting of the two.
AV: Erkenbrand - Eowyn is still so ubiquitous, one can get bored of her, whereas Erkenbrand is incredibly useful but sometimes overlooked.
AW: Amarthiul - After the initial lustre wore off, I haven't found myself that enthused about Tactagorn to be honest, and he doesn't fit so well into the general Dunedain playstyle, whereas I think Amarthiul is going to be amazing in that context.
AX: Arwen Undomiel - Silvans are great, but again I go for versatility, plus Arwen is shiny and new and exciting.
AY: Faramir (Le) - Have yet to build a really good Rohan deck with Theoden, whereas Faramir as previously noted enables crazy shenanigans with Ents. At some point I'll build another deck with him, applying his ability to different allies, but just that one deck is enough to win him a lot of matchups in my book.

AJ: Galadriel: A more difficult decision than I thought.  I'll take Galadriel though because she allowed me to pull Spirfindel out of so many decks.
AK: Sam Gamgee:  At this point in the game, Sam is a better hero (drops mic).
AL:  Beorn: Lots of fun things to use in a Beorn deck now.
AM: Aragorn (Le): Still really good and has Sword that was Broken in his sphere, unlike the other Aragorns.
AN: Aragorn (Lo): Tough call, because both are good.  I'll take Strider because of his utility in Doomed decks.
AO: Gríma:  Grima's ability continues to become more useful, while Legolas' ally version has a better ability than the hero.
AP: Beregond: Defensive powerhouse vs. Hobbit powerhouse.  I'll take Gondor because I love the faction.
AQ: Mablung: Makes mono-Tactics decks awesome.
AR: Rossiel: Elrond's great, but I've had a lot of fun with the victory display deck.
AS: Merry (S): Repeatable threat reduction wins.
AT: Gandalf: OP?  Probably.  But still fun.
AU: Erestor:  One hero makes the game boring because of how good he is at combat.  The other makes the game interesting because he plays it like no other.
AV: Erkenbrand: Hard to vote against Eowyn, but Erkenbrand's ability is really valuable.
AW: Aragorn (T): Let all three Aragorns advance!
AX: Celeborn:  Tough call.  Intrigued by the potential of Arwen, but will give the vote to Celeborn: keeping the Silvan trait awesome since the Ringmaker cycle
AY: Théoden (S):  The best deck you can build with Theoden is Rohan centric.  The best deck you can build with Faramir is Ent centric.  I rest my case.

AJ: Pippin (Lo)

AK: Glorfindel (S). Brutal. Both heroes are amazing

AM: Aragorn (Le)

AP: Beregond

AQ: Mablung

AR: Elrond. Easiest pick of the round.

AS: Damrod

AV: Erkenbrand

AW: Aragorn (T)

AL: Beorn

AN: Prince Imrahil

AV: Éowyn / this was not an easy decision for me

AX: Celeborn / this, too

AM: Aragorn (Le)
AX: Arwen

AY:Théoden (S)

Eugh Amarthiul over Elrohir? New and shiny wins out again.... Time to vote for whoever is up against Amarthiul each round until he/she is eliminated!  :P

---------------------------------------------
AJ: Pippin (Lo). Pure spite vote because Galadriel should not have won against Elrond last year.
AK: Sam Gamgee. Oooft this one is hard!!!! Both are three willpower low threat cost, action advantage heroes. Glorfindel is better at lower threat with better stats and access to Asfaloth (light is like his versions of Sam's ability) so in my opinion he is strictly better. He is however a complete crutch because of Asfaloth and how stupidly incomparable any other location focused player card is to Asfaloth. I truly hope one day we get Asfaloth mark 2 that has nothing to do with Glorfindel and so for this reason I vote for Sam
AL: Beorn. Never used or felt the need to use Frodo's ability. Why not just use a proper defender?
AM: Éomer. Dope art and an awesome offensive character.
AN: Aragorn (Lo). Used to rely heavily upon his threat reduction. Great hero and is a key part of making a deck with higher starting threat or using doomed player cards etc He will also be pretty great for the valour keyword allowing you to get off all your valour triggers then reset back to a lower threat.
AO: Legolas. Another joke match up. Original hero championship champion vs traitor who raises everyones threat.
AP: Beregond. Going to go with Beregond, guy is an absolute wall.
AQ: Haldir of Lorien. One of my favorite heroes and my favorite offensive hero
AR: Elrond. Elrond deserves another shot at the title... robbed I tell you!
AS: Merry (S). New spirit merry is great and as fantastic as Damrod is traps are still not viable in power decks or "rule them all" style decks as there are just too many quests that have all attachment immune enemies or only a boss that is player/attachment immune.
AT: Gimli. Not a fan of Gimli but Gandalf should never have been made and is on a different level power wise to all other heroes which is stupid. No one hero should be that good or have that many attachments all to themself (and we haven't even gotten Narya yet.....)
AU: Boromir (T). Look don't get me wrong Erestor is awesome and I love how much he opens up the deck building in this game but at the same time he is definitely not for me... Boromir on the other hand served me well for quite a long time when I first got him. He can be the centerpiece of a deck and just be amazing. He can unfortunately be abused very easily which to me is his biggest downside....
As impressive as it is to see people like Seastan make decks that break the game to me this is always somewhat upsetting. To me personally it makes the game a little less fantastic and that little bit more dodgy and not playtested or designed well enough every time a new one of these decks emerges.
Boromir is usually in most of these decks.... he personally is not to blame though! :P
AV: Erkenbrand. Love defensive heroes and have never liked Eowyn. Go Erkenbrand and his extremely unique shadow cancellation!
AW: Aragorn (T). Oh.... so won't need to vote against Amarthiul long after all..... theres no way hes going to beat Aragorn (T)..... right?
AX: Arwen Undomiel. I am warming up to this hero more every day and I think I have discovered a pretty nifty strategy/way to play her that might be extremely powerful and fun!
AY: Faramir (Le). Break the Dam! Release the River (of Ents)!
Edited by PsychoRocka

AK: Spirit Glorfindel
AM: Leadership Aragorn
AN: Lore Aragorn
AY: Leadership Faramir

AJ: Galadriel - just so good for a variety of decks (as is Pippin, to be fair), but the consistent card draw with threat reduction is too good
AK: Sam Gamgee - For me, it's the three willpower in Leadership for 8 threat. OK, Glorfindel is uber, but being able to run leadership with a lower threat hero and still quest for at least 3 is epic. Plus, it's Sam.
AL: Beorn - he's a bear
AM: Éomer - in olden times I would not have voted Eomer, but after going through the LOTR saga with him, he's just so good! Hitting for 5 quite easily, yahoo!
AN: Aragorn (Lo) - good rounded stats and one of the best abilities in the game
AO: Legolas - still a go-to hero. Targeted stats and a great ability.
AP: Beregond - Merry is a bit cheesy, but Beregond is a solid and interesting hero
AQ: Haldir of Lorien - argh, so hard! I think I slight prefer Haldir, but maybe I need to play with Mablung more. His ability is awesome!
AR: Elrond - again, hard! But Elrond's overall solid abilities (that lack conditions) makes him better
AS: Damrod - makes trap decks sing. That alone wins it for me!
AT: Gandalf - YOU SHALL NOT PASS!
AU: Boromir (T) - maybe I need to use Erestor more, but for me Boromir is just so cool
AV: Éowyn - still a class act
AW: Aragorn (T) - the abilities are so cool, and the fact that they help out with enemies that Aragorn isn't necessarily attacking is amazing
AX: Celeborn - I really like Celeborn's ability, and I haven't got Arwen yet...
AY: Théoden (S) - this dude is so good for Rohan decks. Makes them hum along nicely, and he's got really good stats.

AM: Éomer)
AT: Gimli
AV: Erkenbrand

AJ: Pippin

AK: Sam

AL: Frodo

AM: Aragorn (le)

AP: Beregorn

AU: Boromir

AV: Eowyn

AY : Theoden (S)

Edited by vilainn6

AR: Rossiel

AJ: As much as I love Pippin, gotta go with Galadriel here

AK: I can't vote against both of my favorite Hobbit heroes!  Spirit G is amazing, but I love Sam Gamgee

AL: Let's go with Frodo here

AM: Love me some Rohan.  Eomer!

AN: The art alone gives this one to Strider.  Aragorn it is

AO: Gotta be Legolas.  Great hero

AP: Tactics Merry or Beregond.  As my Hobbit deck has gone from Tactics Merry to Spirit Merry, I'm going to give this one to Beregond.

AQ: Ooh, two good ones here between Mablung and Haldir.  I like Haldir ally better in my Silvan deck, and Mablung is great in the Ranger deck.  Let's go with Mablung.

AR: Elrond.  No question.

AS: Spirit Merry or Damrod.  Honestly don't remember what Damrod does (is he the trap guy?), but whatever, doesn't matter because Spirit Merry is legit.  Some even say he's the best Hobbit hero by a mile!

AT: Ooh, Gandalf or Gimli?  Gandalf is too tricksy for me to play, but I prefer Gimli ally to Gimli hero.  Tough call here, but Gimli it is.

AU: Tactics Boromir or Erestor.  Another tough one.  Boromir is insane, but Erestor fuels a lot of really fun decks.  I'm excited for the Noldor stuff, but I don't think it's quite there yet (or maybe I just can't get the Erestor/Gloin jank deck going as well as I'd like it too.  Give it to Boromir.

AV: Eowyn or Erkenbrand?  Eowyn.

AW: Scorpagorn versus his (probable) apprentice Amarthiul.  I don't know how to pronounce Amarthiul.  Scorpagorn wins.

AX: Disappointed that no dwarf was in this matchup (AX! Come on!).  Celeborn or Arwen.  Silvans are fun to play, so give me Celeborn.

AY: Another good matchup between leadership Faramir and Santa Theoden.  The rohan deck is alive and well, so Theoden wins here.

AJ: Pippin

AK: Glorfindel (spirit)

AM: Eomer

AN: Aragorn (Lore)

AQ: Haldir

AS: Merry (spirit)