Sign in to follow this  
Thanatopsis

The Hero Championship 2015

Too many tough choices in earlier rounds, but now it's easier enough for me to stop lurking

AZ: Sam Gamgee - hero-gardener extraordinaire! (meaning no offense, your Ladyship)

BA: Éomer - solid, and I can't use Frodo in my saga campaign

BB: Aragorn (Lo) - perhaps my favourite hero art, and ally Legolas is probably better than hero Legolas

BC: Beregond - beautifully captures the valour of Gondor, by which "the terror of Morgul [is] kept at bay"

BD: Merry (S) - tough call, but I love hobbit decks that are more sneaky than combat-heavy

BE: Gandalf - in campaign, sacrificing Gandalf to kill the Balrog > sacrifing Boromir to do 1 damage to Uruk-Hai with toughness

BF: Aragorn (T) - fun, but toughest pick this round, since Herugrim (unthematically) makes Éowyn more interesting

BG: Théoden (S) - essential for Rohan decks, which are developing nicely

"I have something to do before the end, and it lies ahead... I must see it through, sir, if you understand me."

Go Sam!

AZ: Galadriel (lot's of enabling yet comes with key weakness
BA: Frodo Baggins (can have more impact on the game)
BB: Aragorn (Lo) (enables some more shanigans)
BC: Beregond (mostly because Haldir is a bit too similar to Dunhere)
BD: Elrond (Merry's been hard to use for me)
BE: Boromir (T) (Screw Gandalf guy ;)
BF: Éowyn (Mother of all staple heroes)
BG: Arwen Undomiel (amazingly powerful hero)

AZ: Galadriel: I don't quite understand all the love for Sam. He's cool, but this is Galadriel we are talking about
BA: Éomer: Just so much more fun than blocking with Frodo (plus it's a Magali)
BB: Legolas: This one was really tough, but lately I've been using Legolas a lot more in my decks.
BC: Beregond: I've always been fond of this guy. Many have argued that both require attachments to be really good. Beregond's come at a discounted price.
BD: Elrond: Cool ring vs cool jacket... and while I agree with Brandon (that coat is cool), Elrond just has so much more swagger
BE: Boromir (T): This is a vote for CotR
BF: Éowyn: I'd really like to see an Uncle v Niece match-up in the next round
BG: Théoden (S): Both are Spirit cost reducers. Arwen's art is amazing. But, in the end Theoden has saved me what, 100+ resources? Arwen has currently gained me zero resources.

AZ: Sam Gamgee - probably the best hobbit released so far, and he finds his way into lots of my decks

BA: Frodo Baggins - takes away all the stress of defending (also I love hobbits)

BB: Aragorn (Lo) - I never really understood the love for Legolas, also his ally version is such a game changer for tactics

BC: Beregond - one of the best defenders in the game, not much to say

BD: Elrond - this was a tough one, but spirit Merry keeps me from playing his tactics version, so Elrond gets the edge

BE: Gandalf - Boromir shall not pass! 

BF: Aragorn (T) - another tough one, but Aragorn has more decisions, and is the more fun hero to play

BG: Theoden (S) - No way should an unreleased hero defeat Theoden, who singlehandedly breathed life into the Rohan trait- even if he does look like Santa

--- Round 4 CLOSED ---

Round 4 voting is officially closed

The 8 heroes moving on to Round 5 are:
Sam Gamgee
Frodo Baggins
Legolas
Beregond
Elrond
Gandalf
Aragorn (T)
Théoden (S)

What a round it was.
- We saw Galadriel, our #1 seed, defeated by Sam.
- Our #3 (Éowyn) and #4 (Aragorn (Lo) ) seeds were also knocked out in brutal upsets. 
- Arwen’s amazing run as now just released hero came to an end.
- Only Beregond an Elrond remain from our top 5!

--- Round 5 ---

8 heroes are reducing down to 4

We have a cruel duel of hobbit kinship, a battle of tactics sphere staples, two eleven ring holders, and a class of kings

Once again, I’ve included a voting card (see below) that should help alleviate everyone re-typing everything. Just copy, paste, and delete whichever names you are not voting for.

Visit http://challonge.com/lotrhero2015 for the bracket layout.

Voting closes at noon CST Tuesday December 22.

---------------------------------------------
BH: Sam Gamgee v Frodo Baggins
BI: Legolas v Beregond
BJ: Elrond v Gandalf
BK: Aragorn (T) v Théoden (S)

Edited by Thanatopsis

BH: Frodo Baggins - Would much rather have a strong defender with Frodo than Sam.

BI: Legolas - Beregond is good, but I've grown to dislike him due to shadow cards that obliterate him.  Getting A Burning Brand on Beregond is just too much trouble.  I'd rather just make my dedicated hero defender be Lore.  Legolas, in my opinion, is just the best ranged hero in Tactics.

BJ: Elrond - Gandalf just hinders too many people in multi-player from using the ally version which offers so much.

BK: Theoden (S) - Theoden makes the Rohan deck finally work.  Aragorn can be great at cleaning up enemies, but I can do that with just about any deck.

Edited by cmabr002

BH: Sam Gamgee v Frodo Baggins: Sam enables the Hobbit style deck more than Frodo. Frodo is a great "Just in case" defense, but I prefer to have a dedicated defender like Beregond or Erkenbrand. Sorry, Mr. Frodo.

BI: Legolas v Beregond: Hard choice, but with all the support ranged has, plus Arod, Legolas is my choice. Being able to snipe an enemy with Hands Upon the Bow, makes it so you don't have to defend.

BJ: Elrond v Gandalf: As much as I'd hate to be Gandalf guy, he is amazing. The odd thing is, Elrond is typically his best partner with Vilya. Still, once he has all his toys, he's amazing.

BK: Aragorn (T) v Théoden (S): Clash of the kings! Tactics Aragorn is just so good. Multiplayer, he can grab enemies off the players dedicated to questing or support. The -1 Defense is often guaranteeing some type of damage goes on to an enemy. He helps the Dunedain archetype. Theodan's cost reduction is great, and helps Rohan, but for some reason, I still feel like Rohan is missing one or two key cards to make them great.

BH: Sam Gamgee - Gardener, ring-bearer, mayor, chef. So many additional traits that could be explored with Master Samwise!

BI: Legolas - As perfect a defensive wall as Beregond is, attacking is more fun than defending, every time. 

BJ: Gandalf - Really tough match-up, each a member of the White Council and each bearing one of the Three. But Gandalf is the only Istari hero.

BK: Aragorn (T) - Dunedain aggro is just more fun than Rohan mustering.

I'm all for Elrond from now on.

BH: FrodoBI: Beregond

BJ: Legolas

BK: Aragorn

I think you messed up your votes a little bit :P

Eh? Whoops.

Now how did that happen?

Thx tho. Fixed it. ^_^

BH: Sam Gamgee: Kjeld's comments completely convinced me: "Gardener, ring-bearer, mayor, chef. So many additional traits that could be explored with Master Samwise!"
BI: Beregond
BJ: Elrond: Terribly difficult... but, I always liked air benders over fire benders.
BK: Théoden (S): 'Tis the season! Plus I really enjoy how he so perfectly works in Rohan decks.