Sign in to follow this  
ladyjulianne

Good soak value to shoot for?

Just remember the increasing cost of each spec...

Yeah. I'm currently invested in a 4 spec character, and currently facing the prospect of putting 50/60 down the pan for career/non-career. I dislike spending points on doing nothing, so at this point I am largely concentrating on talents/rounding skills out (I hadn't really invested in the skill ranks.)

I will say a 4 spec character will take a lot of XP. You should try building it, with ranks in plenty of skills along the way. Unless you're group is one of the lucky few who game weekly for 6+ hrs your going to be on this character for a long time, even if you're only getting 5ish Tallents from each spec.

You may be better just picking 2 specs and getting more out of them. Skill ranks cover so much of what a character does, while talents just make their best even better. In your case a couple of ranks in the social skills could cover you for that side of your character no problem, get Negotiate up to 4 for a pool of GYYY and you could roll with most NPC's. Rigger is the only one that's offering you something you absolutely can't get with skills, so you will have to decide if you want to go that way, or build other areas of your character.

Just remember the increasing cost of each spec...

Yeah. I'm currently invested in a 4 spec character, and currently facing the prospect of putting 50/60 down the pan for career/non-career. I dislike spending points on doing nothing, so at this point I am largely concentrating on talents/rounding skills out (I hadn't really invested in the skill ranks.)

I will say a 4 spec character will take a lot of XP. You should try building it, with ranks in plenty of skills along the way. Unless you're group is one of the lucky few who game weekly for 6+ hrs your going to be on this character for a long time, even if you're only getting 5ish Tallents from each spec.

You may be better just picking 2 specs and getting more out of them. Skill ranks cover so much of what a character does, while talents just make their best even better. In your case a couple of ranks in the social skills could cover you for that side of your character no problem, get Negotiate up to 4 for a pool of GYYY and you could roll with most NPC's. Rigger is the only one that's offering you something you absolutely can't get with skills, so you will have to decide if you want to go that way, or build other areas of your character.

Oh, I don't need help building it. I have built it. XD Gadgeteer, Assassin, Emergant and Artisan, over 700 points. Originally the guy was a Rodian whom was simply after revenge, a bounty hunter character for a campiagn I hadn't suspected I would be invested in. So rather then build him tall progression, I made his wide. 

Originally I wasn't going to be a force sensitive character (thus the late taking of emergent) but the theme rapidly made sense due to the way the plot was progressing. About 2 years on he's the head of one of the rebellions most unpredictable squadrons, a legendary heist master and a Hero that some would assume to be a Jedi.  I hadn't planned anything. XD Though Artisan also has two things that no other class can claim.

1) permanent adjustment of weapon hard-points

2) A temporary jury rig that is extremely fast to pull off for some more conditional modding (thermal det with blast costing 1? Adding a defense dice in a particularly intense conflict? Making a single crit pistol?)

Though right now we are on a break, when we return I intend to just put almost all my points into talents to round the concept off.

That being said, keeping the specs down for the core concept is essential. 2 Specs are good enough for any character starting off, and a third/fourth should be considered much, much later. Often skills are a wiser, broader investment.

Don't worry, I understand it gets real expensive real fast, and that I may not get to them. But I feel better having the idea at least somewhat thought out. I did the same thing with my current pathfinder character, planned her out to lvl 30 knowing full well we have no intention of going beyond 20. But in my head I'll know that the character continued on and was able to complete their goals off screen.

And of course situations during the game change things. The dirge bard turned rogue planning on becoming an arcane trickster became friends with our party's gunner. Now she carries several pistols and wants to learn to meld back into the shadows after each shot (no small task).

But setting a character goal even a year down the road helps me focus on what the character would want in the here and now.

For some perspective, our group got to about 660xp after playing for over a year, and no one had a third career. At that point most of us were close to finishing the Talents of the first tree and were well into the second, but none of us had reached those specialized top of three abilities from the splat books or had a third career.

I'm not saying don't do it, but you're going to be pretty generalist and spend a lot of xp just buying access to new abilities.

Well one would say my character with soak 4 and reflect 3 giving a total of 9 soak is up there but do think that my gm would make characters able to surpass the values. Rule of thumb is to stick to or near your group so the gm if he's doing it correctly is giving you challenges but not a death wish.