Sign in to follow this  
Stone37

Wampa..... Are you freaking kidding me!?!?

I'm very excited about getting new TIE fighters!  Youngster's ability has to be the one that is really going to change the Tie swarm!  

Wampa is a great offensive weapon for the TIE fighter.... but no EPT?!?!?  ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?!?!?  Why force this TIE to be dependent on other ships?  Now it's pigeon-holed into a swarm role.  This could have been a great (and cheap) little flanker!

The unique pilots without EPTs has got to stop...

why?

honestly, at 14 points it's fine. He has the same PS and cost as a Black squadron pilot. Unless the rumored 0 point epts are amazing, he's basically powercreep and if he had the ept slot he definitely would have been

While I lament the lack of reliability (outside the emperor, ofc), he's priced appropriately for it

and it is a very powerful ability. This isn't something corner case like Cloak, trivially hitting an aggressor or Soontir at range 3 is no small feat for a tie fighter

Edited by ficklegreendice

why?

honestly, at 14 points it's fine. He has the same PS and cost as a Black squadron pilot.

While I lament the lack of reliability (outside the emperor, ofc), he's priced appropriately for it

and it is a very powerful ability. This isn't something corner case like Cloak, trivially hitting an aggressor at range 3 is no small feat for a tie fighter

I agree on price.  I just think he should cost more (possibly 18 points) and have an EPT.  Calculation would be awesome on him!

I'm very excited about getting new TIE fighters!  Youngster's ability has to be the one that is really going to change the Tie swarm!  

Wampa is a great offensive weapon for the TIE fighter.... but no EPT?!?!?  ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?!?!?  Why force this TIE to be dependent on other ships?  Now it's pigeon-holed into a swarm role.  This could have been a great (and cheap) little flanker!

He'd be way too cheap with an EPT, even at his low-ish pilot skill.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but the cheapest "guaranteed damage" combo is Lt. Blount with an Ion Pulse Missile, and that does not bypass shields.  Wampa with an EPT would be great, I agree, but with Calculation, at 15 points, he would be quite lethal.

Unfortunately, while I would LOVE to give him one, I feel he is best staying cheap without one.

why?

honestly, at 14 points it's fine. He has the same PS and cost as a Black squadron pilot. Unless the rumored 0 point epts are amazing, he's basically powercreep and if he had the ept slot he definitely would have been

and it is a very powerful ability. This isn't something corner case like Cloak, trivially hitting an aggressor or Soontir at range 3 is no small feat for a tie fighter

Also this^

The whole point of the pilots is to rejuvenate and diversify the Tie swarm and mini swarm.

Think of the films and you think mainly of the little buggers engaging en masse. I'm happy they have gone down the synergistic route with the new pilots.

IMO Wampa with Calculation would have been borderline ridiculous. Making him rely on chance/synergy to get his ability off is a necessary limiter.

Edited by kopmcginty

He'd be way too cheap with an EPT, even at his low-ish pilot skill.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but the cheapest "guaranteed damage" combo is Lt. Blount with an Ion Pulse Missile, and that does not bypass shields.  Wampa with an EPT would be great, I agree, but with Calculation, at 15 points, he would be quite lethal.

Unfortunately, while I would LOVE to give him one, I feel he is best staying cheap without one.

Blount does bypass shields with advanced homing missile.

why?

Also this^

I think the balance is the fact that he is a PS 6.  It's going to be hard for him to out fly Soontir, Horn, or Whisper.  But if he does... it should count!  The Empire SUCKS at synergy.  Great Imperial lists are either a small group of aces (all doing their own thing) or a swarm smashmouth that doesn't care about abilities.  Sure Howlrunner helps, but we all know how long she lasts and the swarm continues to be deadly without her.

Once. Not every time he shoots.

A very true and important distinction.

why?

Also this^

I think the balance is the fact that he is a PS 6.  It's going to be hard for him to out fly Soontir, Horn, or Whisper.  But if he does... it should count!  The Empire SUCKS at synergy.  Great Imperial lists are either a small group of aces (all doing their own thing) or a swarm smashmouth that doesn't care about abilities.  Sure Howlrunner helps, but we all know how long she lasts and the swarm continues to be deadly without her.

I take issue with the bold portion

the empire is the only faction with Synergy worth a ****

and its name is Howlrunner, though nowadays it's going by Emperor Palpatine

havn't seen anyone waste their time on dutch or kyle or w.e in a dog's age

Edited by ficklegreendice

Wampa is the first TIE Pilot i'd consider a Targeting Computer on.

Target Lock has the same offensive capabilities as Focus, except that Target Lock maintains your 1:3 crit-damage ratio, vs the Focus' 1:5. (That's 1 out of 4 and 1 out of 6 for those of you who get confused by such things).

Interestingly, when Wampa has a Target Lock at Range 2-3, and he's going up against Fel or Whisper, he's the first pilot in the game to consider seriously re-rolling his [boom] results!

If you're curious, odds of Wampa netting at least 1 [KABLAM] result with Target Lock support is 1-(7/8)^4, or just over a 41.38% chance. That's significant.

A very true and important distinction.

Yes, and the combo is still 20 points, even though it only works once. I used the ion example because it's R1-3, but the Adv Homing certainly works and does bypass shields for the same cost. Adv Homing Missiles have unfortunately proven difficult to use in my experience due to their range restriction.

It's been like this since the beginning.

High PS characters have an EPT and a pilot ability.

Mid PS characters will just have the ability.

Mid PS generics will have the EPT.

I don't mind it, given how cheap he is.

It's been like this since the beginning.

High PS characters have an EPT and a pilot ability.

Mid PS characters will just have the ability.

Mid PS generics will have the EPT.

I don't mind it, given how cheap he is.

I wish it was like this. We have too many Mid-PS generics missing the EPT, and too many mid-PS uniques with the EPT.

Considering that the EPT slot is basically a "pick your own pilot ability" slot, I don't get why people are whining that pilots should either have 2 abilities or none, but nothing in-between.

Wampa is in the same boat as Colzet. They are a solid enough value even if you don't build around their ability and their abilities have a reasonable chance to pay off in the normal course of play.

Try to build a list around them and you have a gimmick that can fall apart. Use them like higher PS generics with an extra option available to then and they should be worth their cost.

Edited by WWHSD