Sign in to follow this  
Emilius

The Dread Realm available in Europe - revealed the last Hero!

It's funny, I too have been trying to work in the never-played Ring of Barahir. It would just be a long process of getting the Stone then the Ring before you can even get the Masters of the Forge to help you find the stuff.

At that point I wouldn't even try to utilize the Masters.  Gandalf, Galadriel, Ford Sentry and Gathering Information are the available "card draw".

That card will finally see play when we get a spirit Aragorn.   That has to happen right?

Edited by Slothgodfather

Well Seastan, your decks do kinda tend to be the end-all of most archetypes...

With that said, I will try different variations of the deck. How about just running 1 Lore hero, Aragorn? Other would be Halbarad and Amarthiul. How does that sound?

You could try that, I would just shift the strategy a bit to focus on getting Steward on Aragorn asap to restore the sphere balance. It could work very well actually. You could swap out the Gondorian Shields for Dunedain Warnings as well to make Amarthiul a stonger defender, as the shield isn't as good on him without Steward.

I keep wanting to build a Lore-Leadership-Spirit deck that uses Aragorn + Celebrian's Stone + Ring of Barahir as resource smoothing. I just haven't gotten around to it yet. Arwen would make a good Spirit hero, but I'm not sure who the third would be. Beravor for card draw maybe? It's still a work in progress.

You could try using Lord of Morthond for card draw in your mono-Leadership Dunedain deck. I'd love to see that card work outside of Hirluin.

Beravor for card draw maybe?

Damrod!

You could try using Lord of Morthond for card draw in your mono-Leadership Dunedain deck. I'd love to see that card work outside of Hirluin.

That's a really good idea actually.  Hopefully we don't see any resurgence of shadow effects that get rid of attachments!

I keep wanting to build a Lore-Leadership-Spirit deck that uses Aragorn + Celebrian's Stone + Ring of Barahir as resource smoothing. I just haven't gotten around to it yet. Arwen would make a good Spirit hero, but I'm not sure who the third would be. Beravor for card draw maybe? It's still a work in progress.

Awesome ideas! Dunedain hunter becomes free card draw with Amarthiul and Lord of Morthond.

Heir of Valandil is an issue for me since, outside of Northern Tracker and Guardian of Arnor, there aren't really any dunedain I bother playing.  I find most of the Dunedain - except those two - to not be worth playing,

So your argument is that the Dunedain deck doesn't work when it doesn't contain most of the Dunedain?  :huh:

No, my argument is those are the only two Dunedain of any real worth to me since I don't care for the others much, making it fewer targets for Heir to reduce.

And my argument would be that if that's how you feel about the Dunedain allies, why would you be building a Dunedain deck in the first place?

And while Damrod is not far fetched thematically, I wish he wasn't essential.

He's not. Put Steward on a Lore hero and Forest Snares become very affordable.

So... when Dunedain existed in Middle-earth, there were no traps? What? In always makes sense to have traps, I'm sure even elves had them.

I think it's more that Forest Snare has always been "too expensive" and it wasn't like we ever wanted to keep enemies around anyways.  Damrod - a non-Dunedain - is what brought FS and traps in general back to the front of everyone's radar.

I would disagree - Damrod brought traps in general back onto the radar, but the Dunedain archetype is what brought Forest Snare specifically back onto the radar because it's such a perfect fit.

Quick question Seastan: how do you deal with this deck against quests with objective Amarthiul?

Hmm... I guess swap him for Halbarad, and switch the 6 or so tactics cards for something else? An extra Tighten our Belts, Descendant of Kings, maybe a Legacy of Numenor.

But I think the deck is strong enough that you could in theory just make a house rule and remove the objective ally from the game and use the hero version. Wastes of Erirador might be a little too hard for this though, I'm not sure.

Awesome ideas! Dunedain hunter becomes free card draw with Amarthiul and Lord of Morthond.

It's interesting...

you need the truchsess first, then lord of morthond -> Dunedain hunter let you draw a card.

to play sprit and lore cards you need Celebrian's Stone and Ring of Barahir attached to Aragorn .. now you can play Master of the forge to dig for your snares. A long way... Galadriel should help with this.

For thread reduction aka Lore Aragorn i would take sneakattack with Gandalf. 

Perhaps you can delete some Master of force from the decklist  because of the setup to play them.

Edited by JanB

Perhaps you can delete some Master of force from the decklist  because of the setup to play them.

The Masters are perfect for Seastan's original list since it uses two Lore heroes anyways.  I wouldn't bother including them in the mono-leadership deck though, for certain.  The only Lore cards I'd run would be Forest Snare and Ford Sentry.  Just hold on to the sentry until you get a Sneak Attack or already have a lot of enemies engaged.  I'd run 3x of Clebrains Stone, 1x Song of Spirit Icon and 2x Ring of Barahir and 1x Song of Lore Icon (no, i don't remember the real names).

Actually, as much as I want to use all Dunedain, maybe drop Halbarad for a Dwarf hero - Balin is a perfect choice - and just use Narvi's Belt and put Steward of Gondor on him.   Granted, it gets away from the theme some, but makes the deck a lot better.

Edited by Slothgodfather

My two cents about the Dúnedain now that the entire cycle is out: they are BY FAR my favorite trait FFG has introduced. 

I love how they are based on a real risk-reward style. I've seen several different versions of them in the strategy section all based on different playstyles (sneaky with hobbits, clever with lore-traps and leadership/tactics all-out-combat). They offer a clear dilemma that you have to solve and allow different solutions. They also don't punish you if you want to combine them with other people, therefore allowing more variation in deckbuilding and less reliance on sticking to their trait only.

My favorite traits now include: Dúnedain, Rohan and Gondor. My least favorite traits include: Dwarfs, Outlands and Silvan.

Seastan was nice enough to write a guest post about his deck, The Dúnedain Trappers, on the Hall. Check it out:

https://hallofbeorn.wordpress.com/2015/12/10/deck-the-dunedain-trappers/

A week passes but I found time to read the article. I like the deck very much, much more than the Dunedain deck I use -which apart from the 5th AP (and the 6th that I do not own yet) has won all the other cycle quests for me. I cannot really understand why using traps is not on terms with Dunedains, I use a lot of them. Seastan with the three snares takes 100% from the Dunedains. Well done!

To be honest, I have made a deck a bit like Saestans, major difference is that I used Beravor instead of Damrod - I think that I had a couple of Burning Brands instead of something else and prefered the Dunedain warning for defence to swap it on heroes, i like to have a couple of them on Beravor with Burning Brand.  But Saestans deck could win the last two AP's I am sure ... I start the think I must buy a second core set after all ... On my deck I only had one copy of Celebrians Stone and it was not always easy to get it, thus some of my cards where lost eventually

Seastan, have you thought of a way to use Tactics Aragorn? 

Edited by Nickpes

Thanks for the feedback Nickpes, glad you like the deck!

Your Beravor idea with Burning brand sounds similar to another Dunedain deck I have, which I will also be posting soon.

Tactics Aragorn is a great hero, though he shines in multiplayer I think. I don't have any nightmare-level solo decks with him yet.

If you prefer to get your spoilers from a bear:

http://hallofbeorn.com/Cards/Search?CardSet=The+Dread+Realm

Bear always has better spoilers :)

UPD: Not yet, however. I guess it'll take time.

Just a note to everyone: Deckbuilder currently has higher resolution copies of the player cards.

Edited by John Constantine