Sign in to follow this  
Emilius

The Dread Realm available in Europe - revealed the last Hero!

Played my first game with the Arwen Hero. Used an italian proxy as I was desperate to try her out. 

Her ability proved extremely useful in the end and I think she has found a permanent spot in my decks. 
Will have to play a few more games to make sure this will be the case but pretty certain she will stay. 

Heir of Valandil is an issue for me since, outside of Northern Tracker and Guardian of Arnor, there aren't really any dunedain I bother playing.  I find most of the Dunedain - except those two - to not be worth playing,

So your argument is that the Dunedain deck doesn't work when it doesn't contain most of the Dunedain? :huh:

Tried out the same style of deck I was talking about before, but with Theodred instead of Damrod. It also works well and managed to beat Carn Dum on the first try (got a lucky run with very few Sorceries).

I think Dunedain can be very strong. They just aren't strong in the "place all cards with that have the word Dunedain into a pile and call it a deck" kind of way that other factions are. But that's not a bad thing, in my opinion. 

I'll be posted a Dunedain deck in the near future that does very well against nightmare quests. It uses Amarthiul/Damrod/Loragorn, and uses Damrod and attachment fetching cards to get up 3 Forest Snares very quick. With that setup all your Dunedain have crazy stats, Descendants of Kings often readies 5+ characters, and Heir of Valandil makes everyone free. It's a lot stronger than any Rohan deck I've made at least, and very fun to play.

Looking forward to you posting this deck... Sounds very fun to play!

While the Dúnedain are good, especially in multiplayer, I can't say that they're really viable in solo, at least to the extent that Ents, Silvan and even Hobbits are.

Apart from Carn Dum, i have managed to beat solo all the other quests of this cycle so far with Dunedain deck, (all heroes and all allies except one copy of Hennamarth), it worked really well. If i had more than one core sets, thus 3 forest snares could be even better. The problem i believe they have is that they do not have a hero that gives them traps, like Damrod is, and they do not get that many weapon attachments, though Amarthuil can be of help here with his Tactics ability. Ok maybe they are not top, but they can be good enough for most of the quests.

I would be interested to glance Saestans deck

Edited by Nickpes

I still have to build a good deck for solo play. I am currently trying Amarthiul/Amarthiul/Aragorn against The Lost Realm scenarios, but so far it's far from being exciting. I do win, but I also loose very often. Amarthiul'sability to play Feint is a step forward, but so far I don't thinkt that being engaged with an enemy gives me more profit than trouble. Perhaps Dunedain would have worked better in the early cycles, where enemies were less threatening and shadow effects more tolerable.

Tried out the same style of deck I was talking about before, but with Theodred instead of Damrod. It also works well and managed to beat Carn Dum on the first try (got a lucky run with very few Sorceries).

I think Dunedain can be very strong. They just aren't strong in the "place all cards with that have the word Dunedain into a pile and call it a deck" kind of way that other factions are. But that's not a bad thing, in my opinion. 

I feel Noldor decks -- or the Erestor decks -- are also like that. One has to be very selective about which "discard" cards to put into a deck to make it work. You put too many and you have a hard time fueling the engines.

Seastan was nice enough to write a guest post about his deck, The Dúnedain Trappers, on the Hall. Check it out:

https://hallofbeorn.wordpress.com/2015/12/10/deck-the-dunedain-trappers/

Nice deck Seastan and I'm going to try it out.  But as you said yourself in the video, it's a traps deck and the Dunedain are second to that.  I think the complaint that many have with the Dunedain tribe, (including me) is that they aren't self sufficient yet.  You've made a good deck that uses them, and so have others, but it's still not like silvans or dwarves.

Heir of Valandil is an issue for me since, outside of Northern Tracker and Guardian of Arnor, there aren't really any dunedain I bother playing.  I find most of the Dunedain - except those two - to not be worth playing,

So your argument is that the Dunedain deck doesn't work when it doesn't contain most of the Dunedain?  :huh:

No, my argument is those are the only two Dunedain of any real worth to me since I don't care for the others much, making it fewer targets for Heir to reduce.  Granted, the use of Forest Snare enables it and getting any of the dunedain out for cheap/free is huge.  I'm mainly annoyed that their best solution is Forest Snare - which means Lore.  The best Dunedain is the Tracker, which means Spirit, but the best hero is Leadership, and he grants a tactics icon.  It's all over the place.  Which, arguably, is good and bad.

After looking over Seastan's article/deck, my real complaint still stands that I'd like to see the Dunedain trait more self sufficient with what it is trying to achieve.

@Seastan - awesome article and deck list.  With Northern Trackers and Warden of Annuminas being dependent upon Celebrain's Stone, do you think Blood of Numenor could make the cut to help Amarthiul block any big attacks if necessary?  Or perhaps a Song to go on Amarthuil as well?

It certainly is a Dunedain deck through and through. You can't just have Heir of Valandil working in a deck as an afterthought.

The thought process behind the design was: Dunedain -> I need lots of enemies engaged -> I need Forest Snares. It was not: I have lots of Forest Snares -> Lets throw in a couple Dunedain to make use of them.

Hmmm, I honestly didn't foresee a lot of complaints about using traps in a Dunedain deck. It feels very thematic to me. If Forest Snare had come out after the Dunedain mechanic came out, would you have not seen it as an enabler for the archetype? Why are they not considered self-sufficient if they use this card?

I could make a different style of Dunedain deck without it, but what's my motivation? So people can cry foul at a different card?

"I'm sorry, your Dunedain deck uses Cram. I guess Dunedain are just not sulf-sufficient."

P.S. I do appreciate your compliments nonetheless  :D

I understand your point and agree it is a Dunedain deck.   I guess if Damrod had been a Dunedain, then it wouldn't be an issue at all because then it would be a fully "thematic" deck supported by the single trait.  But it's also a point of contention that Forest Snare is really the only reliable way of getting the Dunedain effects to work, which forces you into using Lore at least some.

Edited by Slothgodfather

Even though I understand most of the complaints (hell, I made many of them), I'm totally behind Seastan's point. As much as I would love pure Leadership-Tactics Dunedain to be viable in solo, I have no problem thematically with using Lore and Snare. In fact, my main problem themewise is that the deck doesn't use Halbarad, who's my favorite of the Dunedain. And while Damrod is not far fetched thematically, I wish he wasn't essential.

I wish he wasn't essential.

Before you thought there were 0 solo-Dunedain decks. Now you know there is 1. Are you so quick to give up hope that there might be 2?  :D

Just because I post a deck doesn't mean everyone has to pack up and go home, never to experiment with Dunedain again!

Amarthiul - Halbarad - Idraen is a workable all-Dunedain lineup that can solo a good number of standard quests.

It's the easy way out, but there is actually a thematic connection for Glorfindel to be in Dunedain deck.  Amarthiul - Glorfindel - Halbarad seems like it should be quite good, covering almost every base a solo deck needs.

Dunedain are definitely behind some of the other nation themes, but they are in a much better spot than I thought they would be, considering the way they work.

Just because I post a deck doesn't mean everyone has to pack up and go home, never to experiment with Dunedain again!

are you sure?  ;)

@Seastan - what about the side quest Gather Information?   I think that would be extremely helpful to go fishing for whatever piece you were currently missing in the puzzle.

With that in mind, and the idea of hunting attachments with Galadriel, what about a full on Leadership deck with LeadAgorn, Amarthiul and Halbarad.  Between Descendant of Kings and Strength of Arms, blocking shouldn't be an issue.  Digging for attachments with Galadriel through Sneak Attack you can still include Forest Snare.   Use the side quest Gather Information to either get a Forest Snare or the Song of Wisdom to play it.   If we count on Celebrain's Stone for the spirit sphere, we could even use Ring of Barahir to build Aragorn up and give him Lore as well.

Edited by Slothgodfather

So... when Dunedain existed in Middle-earth, there were no traps? What? In always makes sense to have traps, I'm sure even elves had them.

I think it's more that Forest Snare has always been "too expensive" and it wasn't like we ever wanted to keep enemies around anyways.  Damrod - a non-Dunedain - is what brought FS and traps in general back to the front of everyone's radar.  So by association, it's not thematic.   I'm fine with the rangers - or anyone for that matter - having traps.  Thematicly, it's fine.   But it just feels to successfully do what the Dunedain want to do, you need to run FS.  And if your running Forest Snare, why wouldn't you run Damrod.   Seems to be the way of thinking.    perhaps it's a narrow way of thinking - and my above deck idea does try to get around that - but that's basically been my viewpoint.

are you sure?   ;)

@Seastan - what about the side quest Gather Information?   I think that would be extremely helpful to go fishing for whatever piece you were currently missing in the puzzle.

With that in mind, and the idea of hunting attachments with Galadriel, what about a full on Leadership deck with LeadAgorn, Amarthiul and Halbarad.  Between Descendant of Kings and Strength of Arms, blocking shouldn't be an issue.  Digging for attachments with Galadriel through Sneak Attack you can still include Forest Snare.   Use the side quest Gather Information to either get a Forest Snare or the Song of Wisdom to play it.   If we count on Celebrain's Stone for the spirit sphere, we could even use Ring of Barahir to build Aragorn up and give him Lore as well.

Yes, good thinking! There are many options. I never considered the route of trying to get enough defenders through Strength of Arms, but if you get your Guardians of Arnor out quick this could work well. The main issue is a lack of card draw.

It's funny, I too have been trying to work in the never-played Ring of Barahir. It would just be a long process of getting the Stone then the Ring before you can even get the Masters of the Forge to help you find the stuff.

Well Seastan, your decks do kinda tend to be the end-all of most archetypes...

With that said, I will try different variations of the deck. How about just running 1 Lore hero, Aragorn? Other would be Halbarad and Amarthiul. How does that sound?