Sign in to follow this  
Emilius

The Dread Realm available in Europe - revealed the last Hero!

Here's something with Arwen which is obvious but had not clicked for me till just now.

So you just need a single copy of Elven Light at the start of the game.

Discard Elven Light with Arwen's ability to add a resource to another hero of a different sphere (has to be Noldor though)

Play Elven Light with Arwen's resource to put it back in your hand and draw a card.

Do this every following turn of the game and Arwen's resource essentially gets transferred into whatever sphere you want rather than you gaining an extra resource and you also get to draw a card every turn with Elvish Light....

This is pretty **** useful... You could even play her without including any spirit cards except for x3 Elvish Light and maybe some test of wills or whatever..

perhaps I was too quick to judge...

That's soo true. She can splash into any deck with Noldor characters without needing to really regard her as a Spirit hero, but they she also gives access to some of the 1-cost spirit cards once in a while. Very nice!

While Bullroarer Took and John Constantine make some fair points, you cannot deny that Spirit can now emulate all the draw options Lore had in the Core set with only drawing a single card draw. Sure you can debate if it's better to spend an Hero action (Berevor) than a resource (Cirdan) etc. but I don't like that this discussion exists on this level in the first place. Sure, Lore Aragorn is the best Threat reduction in the game, but lore doesn't have an equivalent for EVERY threat reduction spirit has while spirit now has one for every Lore card, save Deep Knowledge. For me Elven Light is the most extreme sphere-bleeding card we've seen so far and cheapens the Noldor trait idea by allowing resource spending as an alternative to discarding. Do not like out of principle. :(

That said, I'm still building a Cirdan, Arwen, Boromir deck when I can because it's card-draw, resource collection and combat (plus cancellation with the right starting hand) right off the bat. And 7 starting willpower and relyable defending and attacking! 

I'm still looking foreward to trying Noldor and new Caldara decks in the future. Caldara is probably my favorite hero and playing around the discard pile is interesting always. Between Dúnedain and Noldor, I feel like traits are getting more and more interesting.

Your forgetting, Lore drawing a bunch of cards really doesn't get you much.  It was Lore giving others card draw that was always important to me.   Spirit cannot do this.  I think it's fine that spirit is getting something other than the matham to draw cards. 

Then again, I'm forgetting I feel most of you play solo, so Lore getting you card draw is important.  I tend to play 2-3 player, so a lore deck that shares draw is where it shines for me.  To each their own.

Edited by Slothgodfather

Here's something with Arwen which is obvious but had not clicked for me till just now.

So you just need a single copy of Elven Light at the start of the game.

Discard Elven Light with Arwen's ability to add a resource to another hero of a different sphere (has to be Noldor though)

Play Elven Light with Arwen's resource to put it back in your hand and draw a card.

Do this every following turn of the game and Arwen's resource essentially gets transferred into whatever sphere you want rather than you gaining an extra resource and you also get to draw a card every turn with Elvish Light....

This is pretty **** useful... You could even play her without including any spirit cards except for x3 Elvish Light and maybe some test of wills or whatever..

perhaps I was too quick to judge...

That's soo true. She can splash into any deck with Noldor characters without needing to really regard her as a Spirit hero, but they she also gives access to some of the 1-cost spirit cards once in a while. Very nice!

Run x3 Lords of the Eldar as well. Discard them to place a resource on another hero (or Arwen herself). Then when you have 3 spirit resources saved (which isn't hard with Arwen's ability) you can buff all Noldor until the end of the turn!

Yes, Erestor surely is an essential part of the Noldor pack. Arwen, plus Elvish Light, Silver Harp, etc really did take the Noldor to a whole new level IMO, and I'm not even considering Cirdan and all the goodies they're getting in The Grey Havens. While the Dúnedain are good, especially in multiplayer, I can't say that they're really viable in solo, at least to the extent that Ents, Silvan and even Hobbits are. The potential is there, but their playstyle just brings too many problems and they lack solutions to those problems, such as constant shadow effects and lack of card advantage. But hey, maybe they were not intended to be good in solo, and I'm just wishful thinking.

Edited by Gizlivadi

Very cool combos people! I'm excited to try a Noldor deck with Arwen. It's a shame though that Dúnedain didn't get their "enabler" card while the Noldor did, but at least getting 1 is better than getting none.

Yep I'm excited too and going to make one as soon as we get english pictures of Arwen and Elven Light. The possibilities and flexibility with her is insane. 

I have to say that I don't think Erestor enables the Noldor archetype at all.. He enables a discard archetype which is in a way a type of Noldor deck... A twins deck is technically a Noldor deck... An Elrond, Glorfindel, Galadriel deck is a Noldor deck.. there are a few different types of Noldor deck and the discard mechanic is definitely not the main or only type. Also most other Noldor heroes don't go so well with Erestor in my opinion. Arwen does but the Twins, Glorfindel, Galadriel and Elrond do not specifically mesh with him. Yes you can make a fantastic deck with him and any of these other two Noldor heroes but other than Arwen or Cirdan any of them can create a fantastic Noldor themed deck without him and without the discard ability as a whole. 

I personally am planning to run the twins and Arwen and then Elrond, Glorfindel and Haldir in the other deck. 5 of the 6 heroes are Noldor and I will be using Lords of the Eldar which unless I'm mistaken is the only card that boosts Noldor specifically. I would consider these Noldor Decks and they do not use Erestor at all and only utilize the discard mechanic minimally through Arwen, Elven Light and Lords of the Eldar. 

I think that Descendants of Kings and the two new dunedain allies (+1 attack or defense for each enemy engaged) definitely help a lot with Dunedain decks and are semi enablers but I think one or two more strong cards will really bring it to a new level. 

Eldahir is a pretty badass ally and his ability seems pretty **** powerful, shadow reveal is nice and helps you prepare for that attack and his boosted 4 defense and sentinel are fantastic. Yes it costs you a lore resource but late game in the right deck you could use this most turns. 

Edited by PsychoRocka

Eldahir is a pretty badass ally and his ability seems pretty **** powerful, shadow reveal is nice and helps you prepare for that attack and his boosted 4 defense and sentinel are fantastic. Yes it costs you a lore resource but late game in the right deck you could use this most turns.

You get a card spoiler of his ability? Can you share it?

I'm going to rant about Dunedain for a moment, because I just don't see the benefits yet.  Let me know what you think of this analysis.  

The trouble with the Dunedain is - what are you trying to accomplish by keeping enemies engaged with you?  What benefits do you get?

First, here are a few cards that let you engage enemies outside the normal window:

Dunedain Hunter, Son of Arnor and Westfold Outrider

Second, here are the cards you are enabling by keeping at least 1 enemy engaged with you:

HEROES

Amarthiul: 1 enemy = easy access to tactics sphere, 2+ enemies = 1 bonus resource

Halbarad: 1+ enemies = 2 free willpower in the quest

ALLIES

Guardians of Arnor: 1+ enemies = 1+ shields on a sentinel character

Sarn Ford Sentry: 1+ enemies = 1+ card draw

Warden of Annuminas: 1+ enemies = 1+ willpower

ATTACHMENTS

Heir of Valandil: 1+ enemies = 1+ cost reduction of next Dunedain character

Star Brooch: 1+ enemies = 1 willpower

EVENTS

Descendants of Kings: 1+ enemies = 1+ standing of Dunedain characters

So across all spheres, there are 8 total cards that work off of staying engaged with enemies (did I miss any?).  And the one thing none of these cards really address is having to block those enemies attacks every round instead of killing them off.

Plus, what do you really gain?   2 free will power, a tactics icon and perhaps an extra resource if you keep 2 enemies around.  Extra shields aren't worth a lot except that those Guardians are the ones having to keep blocking the guys you stay engaged with, so it at least helps them not get killed off each round.  Star Brooch is a joke but if your using Spirit you might as well toss one in for Halbarad so it is 3 free willpower towards the quest each turn.  Heir of Valandil is an issue for me since, outside of Northern Tracker and Guardian of Arnor, there aren't really any dunedain I bother playing.  I find most of the Dunedain - except those two - to not be worth playing, so Heir is not worth more than a 1x in this deck.   And then there is Descendants of Kings.   An event to stand guys.  Which is great, but in practices has mostly been used to keep defending the guys that I kept around to get the extra resource from Amarthiul or to help kill off the extra enemies I picked up this round.  And I've never seen Sarn For Sentry and Sneak Attack at the same time so I end up feeling I'm better off dropping him and playing Ally Gandalf - whom I can at least play without a Sneak Attack and likely get more cards, on average, than the Sentry can net me.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Dunedain trait and the concept of keeping things engaged.  It's just that without simply using Forest Snare to keep them engaged, it doesn't seem all that useful.   In any given turn, Prince Imrahil can give you the same effect as Halbarad.  Strength of Arms can be more effective than Descendants of Kings and Gandalf and Valiant Sacrifice offer more reliable draw than Sarn Ford Sentry/Sneak Attack.  The Guardians of Arnor could be replaced with Warden of Helm's Deep.  This basically gives you the same effects and characters without having to keep things engaged.  The only real benefit is the resource generation or cost reduction available, but I write those off as being necessary to play enough guys to keep blocking the enemies you keep around.

I'll be posted a Dunedain deck in the near future that does very well against nightmare quests. It uses Amarthiul/Damrod/Loragorn, and uses Damrod and attachment fetching cards to get up 3 Forest Snares very quick. With that setup all your Dunedain have crazy stats, Descendants of Kings often readies 5+ characters, and Heir of Valandil makes everyone free. It's a lot stronger than any Rohan deck I've made at least, and very fun to play.

Well, I noticed you used Damrod. I assumed it because he reduced the cost of traps. Somehow I doub't you use a lot of traps aside from Forest Snares, so I thought Grima will fit better there. Plus, he increases your threat, which increases the odds of enemies engaging you (and enabling Valour effects, if you have any).

I do also run ranger spikes, so the 6 extra draws over the course of the game definitely help. But he would work well, especially with Loragorn in the mix, but I admit I glossed over him and went straight to Damrod because I felt that people wanted to see something work that was also somewhat thematic.

Edited by Seastan