Sign in to follow this  
Emilius

The Dread Realm available in Europe - revealed the last Hero!

I must say I don't quite get the hype around Elvish Light. Yes, the card is good, but everybody is screaming like it's new groundbreaking thing that will overthrow the Steward of Gondor or something. 1 card for 1 resource is not that good of a deal, and we had that deal before in a neutral card (hidden cache), in a leadership one (campfire tales) and even a better deal in the leadership (we are not idle). It is a discard chump that lets you use it later continuously, and I'm sure it will do it's job well, but will it break the game as most people here saying? I don't think so.

Hidden cache and we are not idle allowed you to draw a card, but you had to play a card in the first place, so you basically didn't get anything, whereas Elvish Light is played from discard pile, so you get one more card. Hidden cache if drawn only robbed you from one resource (or at least that's the way I played it). Campfire tales gets better with more players, but it's worse than useless in solo. I'm not saying Elvih Light breaks the game, but it's perfect for discard decks, as they often have too much resources

Edited by koriakin97

Hidden cache and we are not idle allowed you to draw a card, but you had to play a card in the first place, so you basically didn't get anything, whereas Elvish Light is played from discard pile, so you get one more card. Hidden cache if drawn only robbed you from one resource (or at least that's the way I played it). Campfire tales gets better with more players, but it's worse than useless in solo. I'm not saying Elvih Light breaks the game, but it's perfect for discard decks, as they often have too much resources

That's exactly what I said. But everyone makes it sound like Elvish Light is the next Unexpected Courage or something.

Endlessly repeated once per turn. Very good in the right hands, but not breaking. It allows Arwen to draw an extra card and add a resource per turn. Galadriel gets to draw a card and reduce threat.

It the tactics bowman that really breaks the game, because, you know, tactics.

Psycho, the quote was "The twins deck is a thing and now it's going to be more of a thing." Nothing to get your dander up about.

I used Galadriel with the twins but found the inability to play Steward or quest for a reasonable amount in turn 1 quite deadly in solo play. Arwen would certainly speed things up and rely less on a good card draw.

Use Eowyn instead of Galadriel and you'll be better off.   Arwen is an acceptable substitute here, but I'd still say Eowyn is likely better since you won't really have much card draw to fund Arwen's ability.  Though she does help first turn Steward, so that is something to consider.  She could definitely speed things up a bit.

Yes, the card is good, but everybody is screaming like it's new groundbreaking thing that will overthrow the Steward of Gondor or something.

I don't think this card is broken in a 'Steward of Gondor now gives 3 resources' type of way. I think it's broken in a 'Steward of Gondor is now spirit' type of way. Lore is the carddraw sphere and let's compare it with Elvish Light.

Berevor: exhaust a hero to draw two cards turn

vs

Cirdan with EL: spend 1 resource to draw two cards each turn

Bilbo: draw a card each turn

vs

Arwen with EL: draw a card each turn with better stats

Lorien's wealth: draw 3 cards for 3 resources

Discard ability + EL: draw x cards for x resources + activate x discard abilities

etc.

So spirit can now do a lot of things only lore could do before (and better!) just because of one card. Maybe broken isn't the right word, but if this was a competitive game, a lot of players would now ditch lore in favor of spirit when it comes to splashing carddraw. There is also no limit to how many times you can use it (as long as you can discard cards through some means). It's also the Erebor Hammer Smith-Born Aloft-Legacy of Durin-Horn of Gondor combo in one card. Even if it's not broken now, people will find a way to break this sooner rather than later. For example, cards like Gaining Strength and Wealth of Gondor can now become 0 cost cards that replace themselves and add a small buff while doing so. I really wish this guy would go back into your deck instead of into your hand from where it can be discarded again. 

On a more personal note, I dislike it because of how it changes the Noldor mechanic from 'discard a card' to 'discard a card OR draw a card and pay 1 resource'. Where I was intrigued before about how to fuel the Noldor trait and get enough carddraw, now all I have to do is add Steward of Gondor and done. It's like spirit Glorfindel where you take an interesting concept and add a card that nullifies what makes it interesting (light of valinor). :( So yeah, not a fan of this card to say the least. But, I'll let it sink in for a moment and see if I'll grow to like it.

Other cards look awesome though! Leadership sword that occasionally gives resources is great. I like having more weapons anyway. Another strong Dúnedain. Tactics event that's great in multiplayer and allows players to use heroes other than Boromir in a similar way for one turn. Only the hood is a bit quest specific which I'm not much a fan off. Also this pack really makes me want to try to build a Secrecy Aragorn Arwen deck. 

I don't think this card is broken in a 'Steward of Gondor now gives 3 resources' type of way. I think it's broken in a 'Steward of Gondor is now spirit' type of way. Lore is the carddraw sphere and let's compare it with Elvish Light.

Berevor: exhaust a hero to draw two cards turn

vs

Cirdan with EL: spend 1 resource to draw two cards each turn

Bilbo: draw a card each turn

vs

Arwen with EL: draw a card each turn with better stats

Lorien's wealth: draw 3 cards for 3 resources

Discard ability + EL: draw x cards for x resources + activate x discard abilities

etc.

Beravor doesn't needs to spend anything or have anything in hand to consistently draw 2 cards. Beravor can give those cards to other players in need.

Bilbo is a big pushover, but nonetheless - he doesn't need to have a particular card in his hand to function, he does so right off the bat.

Lorein's Wealth is one of the cards you can play as soon as you lay your hands on it, the combo you described requires having a lot more than that.

And, to top it all off, what's with the worth of Elven Light if you do not run Arwen/Cirdan? Most non-hero-printed draw effects do not require you to have a specific hero in the game to be effective. I think, the one thing you must understand is that this card seems to be powerful to you with a couple of certain heroes, and the game is much more than that.

Edited by John Constantine

And lore has the most powerful threat reducing card in the game when threat reduction is supposed to be in Spirit.  Arwen and EL could have been better green though, I won't argue that.

What card(s) is this? I don't know 100% of the card pool

And lore has the most powerful threat reducing card in the game when threat reduction is supposed to be in Spirit. Arwen and EL could have been better green though, I won't argue that.

What card(s) is this? I don't know 100% of the card pool

Lore Aragorn.

Edited by Ecthelion III

Lore Keeper nailed it. I love to go mono blue, but card draw was always rough. Basically Ancient Mathom and Gandalf were all that was available. Then we got Galadriel and things improved slightly, but always it was better to go blue/green instead for card draw.

Now? Warden of Healing is the main reason to go green.

Oh, and if you go blue with a Hama deck, it turns out Elvish Light is good there too, since the main weakness of Hama is running out of cards.

It's pretty good.

A little sphere-bleedy, but other than that I like her a lot. I kinda feel for Theodred who's resource generation is just not up to par with heroes like Mablung or Arwen. She certainly works with the twins! I used Galadriel with the twins but found the inability to play Steward or quest for a reasonable amount in turn 1 quite deadly in solo play. Arwen would certainly speed things up and rely less on a good card draw.

She can give resources to herself too right? I like that she can also work well with Caldara, discarding high power allies for resources to play for Fortune or Fate. Obviously she works well with Erestor as well.

Even without any combo's she's a really solid her with 3 willpower and resource generation. Solid hero all-round!

(Is it just me or does it look like she just stepped out of the shower? Her hair looks kinda wet and she's wearing some kind of bathrobe thingy.)

I run Sam with the twins and he is in sphere for first turn Steward on Elrohir (without having to discard a card), also has 3 willpower like Arwen and has one less starting threat...

Then again with Arwen you'd have that second leadership resource by discarding a card as well as her own spirit resource still remaining. Plus she has the Noldor trait so can benefit from stuff like Valour of the Eldar or whatever its called. I will probably play around with the idea of replacing Sam with Arwen and sussing out what other changes I would make to the deck based on this but ultimately I'm not sure if it'll stick. You'd need to have more resource smoothing for a tri sphere deck too... hmmm..

Here's something with Arwen which is obvious but had not clicked for me till just now.

So you just need a single copy of Elven Light at the start of the game.

Discard Elven Light with Arwen's ability to add a resource to another hero of a different sphere (has to be Noldor though)

Play Elven Light with Arwen's resource to put it back in your hand and draw a card.

Do this every following turn of the game and Arwen's resource essentially gets transferred into whatever sphere you want rather than you gaining an extra resource and you also get to draw a card every turn with Elvish Light....

This is pretty **** useful... You could even play her without including any spirit cards except for x3 Elvish Light and maybe some test of wills or whatever..
perhaps I was too quick to judge...

Before I started relying so much on Core Aragorn and Sword that was Broken, I used to run the twins with Glorfindel and I remember it working just fine. But then again that was during the ATS era, so I'm not sure how it would work against current quests. Still, having Arwen with cards like Elvish Light you pretty much guarantee a free resource and card draw, which should work pretty good with the twins. Same thing with cards like Ranger Provisions. And I'm not even mentioning Light of Valinor, Test of Wil, etc, cards that really strengthen any deck. I'm eagerly awaiting to run thsi deck! 

Edited by Gizlivadi

Also you could run Lords of the Eldar..... which would pump all three heroes and any Noldor allies you have as well..

Plus heroes across the board in multiplayer...

It wouldn't be as hard to play with Arwen's resource boost either.....

Edited by PsychoRocka

Wow, Christmas sure arrived early in Italy, this thing is STILL on the boat! May we get some encounter spoilers please? I'm sick of waiting. I'd be more than happy to translate as well.

Yeah, I'm very curious too. Am I delusional, or we are to see a vampire in this quest?