Sign in to follow this  
Cragglenaut

Dark Pact Condition card clarification - Nightmare Meeting

I was playing tonight with a group of 5 and the Dark Pact card "Nightmare Meeting" came up. The text of the card is:

"The hooded figure approaches you, gliding as if floating just above the ground. You hear the figure's rattling voice in your mind, probing for the names of your companions. Suddenly, you awake in a cold sweat. Each other investigator gains a Cursed Condition unless he gains a Dark Pact Condition. Then discard this card."

It seems pretty obvious to me that this means each other player (other than the player with this card) must gain a Cursed Condition OR a Dark Pact Condition, but the group I was playing with seemed to think that the player with the card could gain a new dark pact condition to prevent each other player from becoming cursed. The English seems VERY clear to me, but I'm looking for clarification. Can you guys help me out here? How does this card work?

Your fellow players deserve instant devourement for such grasping lameness.

Joking... sorta.

Your interpretation is correct.  It's correct in light of what was written, and it is certainly correct in the spirit of what was written.

The card is pretty clear to me.  Each other investigator needs to decide what their own fate will be: cursed or dark pact.  Note that the choices actually get pretty nuanced based on what they already have

Reduced to code:

for each OTHER investigator 

if investigator has a dark pact and a cursed condition then  

flip the cursed condition // cannot gain second dark pact, so follow instructions on cursed card 

else if investigator has a dark pact but no cursed condition then

gain a cursed condition // cannot gain second dark pact

else if investigator has a cursed condition but no dark pact then

gain a dark pact OR flip the cursed condition // per instructions on cursed condition

else // no dark pact or cursed condition

gain a dark pact OR a cursed condition

(Edit for font mixup)

Edited by ricedwlit

Indeed, the english here is clear. 

"The hooded figure approaches you, gliding as if floating just above the ground. You hear the figure's rattling voice in your mind, probing for the names of your companions. Suddenly, you awake in a cold sweat. Each other investigator gains a Cursed Condition unless he gains a Dark Pact Condition. Then discard this card."

"Unless he gains" is quite different than "unless you gain".

the group I was playing with seemed to think that the player with the card could gain a new dark pact condition to prevent each other player from becoming cursed

While you are resolving you condition, you still have it - it's not discarded until the effect tells you to do so.

And you are told to discard this card, after it dispenses the new conditions.
When the choice to gain a Dark Pact appears, you still have your original Dark Pact - you can't gain another copy.
So, even if your group would be interpreting the card text right, it can't be done.

Edit: Additional argument.

Edited by tsuma534

Don't envy you playing with that group, as it couldn't be much more clear. Especially if you consider the "flavor text"...where the dark figure is probing for the names of your companions. It seems, on some dimensional level "you" gave up the names of your companions, and that it was more than just a dream......

The card's flavor seems to indicate the person gets a Dark Pact or the other people get curses, but the actual text says everyone else gets a Curse or a Dark Pact.

It could very easily be a typo ('he' instead of 'you'), but until FFG says otherwise I'd play it as written.