Sign in to follow this  
Dafydd

Blaster Suppressor

I've been on a bit of a book-buying spree lately, and I've seen the blaster suppressor attachment appear in a couple of my new purchases. One of them (Lords of Nal Hutta I think) just has it add setback dice to the chance of someone hearing your shot. However, Strongholds of Resistance says that using a suppressor will also have a negative impact on the blaster's damage and range - then doesn't say anything about what that impact is. Has there been any word from On High about this? Is SoR correct, and if so then what would the range and damage penalties be?

I haven't seen the one in Strongholds yet, so I can't speak to that. But the two different "suppressors" that I've seen - F&D and LoNH - both do different things.

The Blaster Energy Dampener in Force & Destiny doesn't reduce the sound of the shot but instead reduces the visibility of the blaster bolt itself, making it harder to see where the shot came from. The Blaster Suppressor in Lords of Nal Hutta, on the other hand, reduces the noise of the blaster discharge. If you really want a covert weapon you'd install both.

I haven't seen the one in Strongholds yet, so I can't speak to that. But the two different "suppressors" that I've seen - F&D and LoNH - both do different things.

The Blaster Energy Dampener in Force & Destiny doesn't reduce the sound of the shot but instead reduces the visibility of the blaster bolt itself, making it harder to see where the shot came from. The Blaster Suppressor in Lords of Nal Hutta, on the other hand, reduces the noise of the blaster discharge. If you really want a covert weapon you'd install both.

The one on SoR is specifically a 'blaster suppressor', same name as in LNH. Same stat block, and the description looks like the writers took what was in LNH and added some text describing range and damage penalties,

Well, you could, depending on the type of blaster, just drop a point or two of damage, kick the critical up by a point or two and make it difficult to hear/see as per the stat block.  That would be fair.  I would, unless it is already so, make it a permanent modification.  Not a dohickey you thread on to the barrel.  I would also make it so weapons so modified cannot autofire.  No "scientific" reason.  Just the idea of a full auto heavy repeating blaster firing off silent shots seems like a bad idea. 

Now, were I the GM, I'd not allow it at all on blaster weapons.  I would however make some type of laser weapon available that would be silent.  Aside from the crack that accompanies the shot for the same reason lighting makes noise.  However that noise occurs along the length of the beam, not from the source of the shot, so it's very hard to determine where it came from.   

I think it would look something like this.

Merr-Sonn Model XL-7A Photon Rifle.  This specialized rifle is built for professional killers of both beasts and sentients when long distance killing, without the associated flash and noise of a blaster, is called for.  The rifle itself is heavy and long, two meters in fact, but well balanced with most of it's considerable weight in the stock which contains the powercells.  The barrel has a 6 centimeter diameter much of it being the emitter coil that creates the photon pulse and the rest is the protective sheath for the emitter as it is sensitive to impact.  If the rifle suffers damage, or simply is not cared for properly, it can loose its Accuracy quality and suffer an additional black die on shots within Medium range and two black dice on shots in the Long and Extreme range.  Repairing the rifle is difficult, add an extra purple die to efforts to repair damage and perform routine maintenance.  The standard powerpacks only allow for a limited number of shots between recharging and the rifles standard actuator has to charge up between firings.  The shots fired from the rifle are quieter than a blaster but they still make a sharp crack along the length of the beam.  The sound doesn't carry far, anyone looking for the source suffers two black dice on any Alertness or Vigilance checks made to find that source.  

Photon Rifle, Ranged Heavy, Damage 8, Critical 4, Range Extreme, Encumbrance 7, Hard Points 4, Price 3,000, Rarity 8, Special Accuracy 1 Cumbersome 4, Pierce 2, Vicious 1, Slow Firing 1, Limited Ammo 8 

Special Attachment: Additional Powerpack.  The Photon Rifle can have extra powercells mounted in order to overcome it's limited number of shots and charging delays.  Base Modifier +8 to Limited Ammo.  Modification Options Eliminate Slow Firing.  Hard Points Required 2, Price 1,000 credits.