Sign in to follow this  
pickirk01

"Traitor" negative cost crew idea for fun

So I was thinking of some fun casual ideas for my brother and I for tomorrow. Wondering if anyone has tried something like this or if you may have advice on its mechanics or cost.

*Traitor

Crew, -4 points

Your upgrade bar gains one Crew icon. You MUST equip at least one non unique crew.

At the end of each end phase roll one attack die. On a blank result deal this ship one face up damage card and discard this card and one equiped non unique crew card.

Lets you take over 100 points but with the downside of a 25% chance of losing a crew and getting a crit each round.

Whadya think? Silly? Too cheap or expensive?

Obviously suitable for homebrew only, but -4 is too much. Damage is typically priced at 3 (hull) or 4 (shield) and this is only a 50% chance per round for 1 damage total. I'd make it a -2 discount as is.

However, adding a crew slot to any ship is silly to me, so I'd say limit it so that it MUST take a crew slot that was already available. That opportunity cost can push the card back to -3 discount or possibly even -4.

Edited by z0m4d

Obviously suitable for homebrew only, but -4 is too much. Damage is typically priced at 3 (hull) or 4 (shield) and this is only a 50% chance per round for 1 damage total. I'd make it a -2 discount as is.

However, adding a crew slot to any ship is silly to me, so I'd say limit it so that it MUST take a crew slot that was already available. That opportunity cost can push the card back to -3 discount or possibly even -4.

I get what you are saying but the reason it "adds" a crew slot is to represent that a crew member you have is the traitor.  And even though I am doing it just for fun, my OCD means I have to try to format it as if FFG were writing it (but without needing to FAQ it.)

For example, you can have The Falcon with C-3PO and Gunner but adding this crew card "takes" up a crew slot and then gives one.  Now your Falcon still has 2 effective crew but they are 3PO and "Traitor-Gunner."

Also, rolling a blank on a red die is 25% (I was using that % based on the upcoming illicit cloak card which blows out on the same chance) and that 1 damage was face-up so will often mean losing more than just one shield or hull.  Of course one could also just throw on a 1 pt bombardier for the points boost and not care when he blows.  So probably 3 points is more in line.

But again its just for fun.  I was basically looking for a way to "cheat" 104 points into a list, but with a repercussion if you do it.

Edited by pickirk01

I actually think there should be a whole new deck for ship malfeasance. All with varying negative costs, one may be equipped per ship like a modification, maybe the guns short out one turn, maybe can't make any turns, maybe all straights are a red...

Of course 75% of the time the ship runs fine.

I actually think there should be a whole new deck for ship malfeasance. All with varying negative costs, one may be equipped per ship like a modification, maybe the guns short out one turn, maybe can't make any turns, maybe all straights are a red...

Of course 75% of the time the ship runs fine.

Maybe as a Scum upgrade? Between Feedback Array, Greedo, and the faulty Cloaking Device, it would be cool to have a modification or illicit that adds to that "at all cost" gamble feel.

Edited by zerotc

Yeah suits scum best.

I am imagining a fleet of 12 point uglies,(at points cost between 8-14 with various upgrades and ... issues) some engines failing at critical moments, others firepower increasing from 2 to 4 for a turn but getting a face up card for the overload...

Yeah suits scum best.

I am imagining a fleet of 12 point uglies,(at points cost between 8-14 with various upgrades and ... issues) some engines failing at critical moments, others firepower increasing from 2 to 4 for a turn but getting a face up card for the overload...

Yes, this. Could be fun as a casual thing. Have a deck of cards with effects ranging from pure benefit to upside/downside, to crippling. Ships can take a cost reducing title but have to draw from the deck before planning. Maybe some cards are blank, just to keep things from getting too crazy? But yeah, this seems like a fun idea.