Sign in to follow this  
Desslok

How important is buying the maneuver tool?

I think I'll take the Black Friday plunge and finally pick up Armada from either MM or CSI. I'm looking at looking at a basic assortment of the older ships, pretty much everything on sale. But even with the sale, the order is still coming in at about 160 bucks. So it's time to prune some back.

One of the things I was looking at was the supplemental maneuver tool. Presumably they have something in the game, that this is just a more robust, all plastic version - right? How necessary is getting this? Can I make do with what's in the core set, or is this five bucks well spent?

It's actually the same tool that's in the core set. Sometimes it's useful to have multiples because the full 4 length tool can get caught up on models in a cluster, but it is not necessary to play the game.

That being said, most Armada players will recommend getting an extra set of dice- Situations where you're rolling five of the same dice happen even with just wave 1, and Wave 2 will actually allow people to throw even more of the same color die.

That being said, most Armada players will recommend getting an extra set of dice- Situations where you're rolling five of the same dice happen even with just wave 1, and Wave 2 will actually allow people to throw even more of the same color die.

With wave 2, I'd recommend buying two more sets of dice. There will be some circumstances where you will need to roll 7+ dice (often with Opening Salvo factored in to push it over 6).

With wave 2, I'd recommend buying two more sets of dice. There will be some circumstances where you will need to roll 7+ dice (often with Opening Salvo factored in to push it over 6).

Good point, I should totally pick up another dice pack

As for the manouver tool, if you are just starting out you can forego a spare one for a little while.

It really is a godsend when you have 4 or 5 corvettes tangling with your ISD and you want to make a speed 1 manouver and you have 3/4 of useless tool bumping ships and squadrons and making you mark and move things that are way out of the way just to accommodate the thing, but do you NEED it right off? no.

It really is a godsend when you have 4 or 5 corvettes tangling with your ISD and you want to make a speed 1 manouver and you have 3/4 of useless tool bumping ships and squadrons and making you mark and move things that are way out of the way just to accommodate the thing, but do you NEED it right off? no.

That's good to know. Once I get my sea space legs under me, I'll know what extras I'll need.

That kind of dovetails into something else I was going to ask: how important is it to double up ships? I was thinking Base Set, a Victory, an Imperial, a Corvette, a Nebulon B and a Assault Frigate - but then I got wondering, is it necessary to get duplicate ships of what are in the the base set?

I assume it's like X-Wing, where they'll have pilot cards, abilities and weapons not in the base set, right? So there is some value to picking them up - but is there a priority to getting them? A "get the Corvette first, then the VSD and leave off the Frigate!" consensus.

Basically I'm trying to flesh out the starter without breaking the bank too badly. 

That's good to know. Once I get my sea space legs under me, I'll know what extras I'll need.

That kind of dovetails into something else I was going to ask: how important is it to double up ships? I was thinking Base Set, a Victory, an Imperial, a Corvette, a Nebulon B and a Assault Frigate - but then I got wondering, is it necessary to get duplicate ships of what are in the the base set?

I assume it's like X-Wing, where they'll have pilot cards, abilities and weapons not in the base set, right? So there is some value to picking them up - but is there a priority to getting them? A "get the Corvette first, then the VSD and leave off the Frigate!" consensus.

Basically I'm trying to flesh out the starter without breaking the bank too badly. 

FFG is a master at ensuring a nerd and his money are soon parted, which means you should pick up at least one of each expansion pack because the upgrade cards they come with are different from those in the core set. I'd recommend ending with a total of 2 Gladiators and Assault Frigates as well, because they're good enough to merit it.

Pray you don't fall into the same collection frenzy I did.

I don't want to even say how many ships I have

its 10 imperial, 13 rebel...and 3 fighter packs of each....and 1.5 rogues and villains....AND I have 4 more ships and a rogues and villains coming on preorder....and I plan on picking up another 3...

I can't stop!

Pray you don't fall into the same collection frenzy I did.

I don't want to even say how many ships I have

its 10 imperial, 13 rebel...and 3 fighter packs of each....and 1.5 rogues and villains....AND I have 4 more ships and a rogues and villains coming on preorder....and I plan on picking up another 3...

I can't stop!

I've been down that road with X-Wing - I'd like to avoid that trap here. . . . at least in theory. :)

I am finding the full length maneuver tool really gets in the way during the game.  Same thing with the range ruler.  I am definitely going to get one more and set it at speed 2 so I have one that's less unwieldy. 

Two tools are cool, I made a speed 1 and speed 2 tool with my second.*

IF, you are going to run 3 Victory s or 3 CR90s and Nebulas, then a second box isn't a bad buy. You get the dice and measuring tool, plus range ruler. Plus a crap load more TIEs to paint.
But, you don't want to skip the expansion ships, as some of the cards are sweet.

* Some cutting required to get a pointy bit.

Is that IF large enough?

Edited by GronardII

Just a question, if you had 1 Maneuver Tool would it be better just to set it up as a 2 or maybe a 3 speed?

If you can play 6+ Corvettes and or 6+ Raiders then maybe you need a 4 speed and can afford to have a 3 and 2 as well.

Just a question, if you had 1 Maneuver Tool would it be better just to set it up as a 2 or maybe a 3 speed?

If you can play 6+ Corvettes and or 6+ Raiders then maybe you need a 4 speed and can afford to have a 3 and 2 as well.

A speed 2 for sure. Most heavier ships are operating at speed 2 or 1 for a lot of the game.

I would not say a 2nd starter is a waste, and yes I have 2. However because you are trying to stay within a budget I would recommend not getting a 2nd starter. Picking up at least 1 of the individual ships for the cards is a must. Then you can get the rest, movement tool/dice at a later time or decide if another starter is right for you.

Well, from a financial perspective (and using typical Canadian prices which should roughly map)

A second starter costs you ~$110

to get the same ships as expansions

Neb B - $21

Corvette - $21

Victory - $41

Manouver tool - $8

Dice pack - $11

Total $101

you miss out on an extra set of printed rules (meh), extra cardboard range rulers (double meh, bought acrylic ones like any serious player would, cardboard can only last so long with handling) and extra obstacles (triple meh) and a few basic fighters (ties and xwings)

If you buy the second starter you would miss out (for the same dollar) on a ream of crucial expansion upgrades including generals and named ships. If you are looking for bang for buck a second starter is a non-starter in my book (pun 50% intended and 50% regretted). if you feel you absolutely need a second set of things go ahead but you will need to buy the expansions in any case to have a rounded list of options and a second starter seems wasteful.