Sign in to follow this  
TheRealStarkiller

Why no AT-STs??

While the AT-ST can be a beast at range, once units are adjacent to it, all hope is lost. The biggest problem is that it's hard to maneuver so you can get the shots you need. If you can protect it in a corner and keep units in front of it then it can continue to get shots off. But that only really works in the campaign as most skirmish missions have you going places rather than protecting places.

The main reason the ATST is no good is that it only gets 1 attack and it costs 14 points.  It doesn't provide any other additional benefits.  And you're really in trouble if you have to shoot at a white dice character without Lock On in hand.

The problem is only compounded when you have guards or sabs stunning it.

Against any good list/player, the ATST will have a hard time bringing the game home.

14 points, Awkward, traitorous Black Dice...

It's the Awkward thing that kills it for me. Recently my friend and I played an Endor-esque match, I took all wookiees while he took an AT-ST and a bunch of stormtroopers.

I was able to run Chewie up right next to the AT-ST and kept it stun-locked in a corner while the Wookiee Warriors decimated the stormtroopers around the corner. He fell back so the AT-ST would have shots if I pursued, but I just ran in and killed it with the Warriors.

For 2 more points, Weiss is WAY better than the AT-ST. Doesn't have Awkward, can choose your 3 dice for attack, and if you don't need to move, can Order two units on the map to Move without needing LOS to them. "Oh you tried to get adjacent because you thought I had Awkward? Time to eat Red/Red/Green."

While the AT-ST can be a beast at range, once units are adjacent to it, all hope is lost. The biggest problem is that it's hard to maneuver so you can get the shots you need. If you can protect it in a corner and keep units in front of it then it can continue to get shots off. But that only really works in the campaign as most skirmish missions have you going places rather than protecting places.

Just take a step back and shoot.

Having an Elite Officer around to shoot again.

I don't see any problems

I am really pleased to hear that the AT-ST is seeing some action, and that some find it useful. I think it is expensive and useless in skirmish.

Let us know how it goes. Maybe you see something everyone else do not. I miss a lot details all the time, so I am glad when other people see the advantage in figures that I readily dismiss.

Or if you play against Saboteurs. Or if you play against Troopers with Covering Fire. Or if you play against someone who has Set for stun. Or chewie. Or Dengar as soon as he is released. Or Jyn. 

It does come with a good number of HP and a nice double Black defense. It ain't that easy to 'just stun all the time'. That said, I played against Weiss the other week and a round of Expose Weakness from a Hired Gun made pretty short work of him. But I think with decent support, that Weiss or even the normal AT-ST could be a strong pick. They do pack some serious firepower and defense.

For giggles in a tournament once, I took Vader, Weiss, and an Elite Officer. It did much better than I would have thought, it didn't win, but all my games came down to the absolute wire. Once Weiss was in position, he would fire and Order Vader to move, while the Officer stuck next to Weiss and Executive Order Weiss to fire again, or do the same with Vader.

It worked because everyone took too long to realize that even with other VP conditions, generally they had to take out my entire list in order to win, and Vader is a beast.

It didn't work because Command Cards are enough to bring them down eventually.

Still.... hilarious seeing people's faces as they see both those figures hit the table.

Rebel Sabs have a 71% Chance of doing at least 1 dmg against black black and a chance of 25% chance of doing at least 3 dmg. So you could think of 1 of 4 Sabs stunning the AT-ST, which is enough. The other ones do good dmg on it. 

Now lets take a look at a focused Sab: He has a 97% chance to do at least 1 dmg against black black and 71% chance of at least 3 dmg. 

The 3 dmg with a surge for pierce 2 included can be translated in 1 dmg with stun I believe, so a squad of an focused sab and a unfocused one should get him stunlocked consistently. And don't forget there is fun stuff like Maximum Firepower. Just take a look at the curve if a focused Sab with Maximum Firepower hits your AT-ST. He has a 18% Chance of doing at least 9 DMG ( 44% for 8 dmg, 71% for 7 dmg). 

Sure, thats a use of a 3 points command card. But ****, that's an 3 point figure using a 3 point command card and its just ripping half of your AT-ST. 

My point is: with command cards, you sure can stunlock an AT-ST every round. And for getting 14 points it's worth using some command cards.

Sure the AT-ST isn't something you will see in a top tier list, but it can still be effective against many if not most lists.  You really just need to support it through other units, command cards, and most importantly play style. Most people won't give it all the support that it needs to shine. Don't rush the giant walking bullseye right into your opponents until you have weakened them a bit. Use your other figures as shields against melee units.  Make sure that your support units can also fight well, but use them with the AT-ST not away from it.

An Elite Officer goes a long way towards making it very effective.  Two AT-ST shots a round is nothing to scoff at, that can easily be 2 figures off of the board before they get an action.  Sure they are weaker if you can manage to stun them but what unit isn't weaker when stunned.  With smart play it is possible to prevent a complete stun lock and still get off 2 shots most rounds.

One of my favorite fun lists to play is an AT-ST, Elite Officer, Regular Officer, and 2 Elite Storm Troopers and Rule By Fear.  Every single time my AT-ST is worth the cost, it damages or kills more units than the 14 points I paid for it.  That doesn't mean I win all of my games with it(I would say 60%-ish), but the ones I do lose are usually by a surprisingly very small margin.

There are big weaknesses but many times they can be mitigated in how you play.  Any list with an AT-ST in it will tend to have fewer activations and fewer combat units on the board than most other lists that are played.  You won't be able to split your list up as much to cover multiple objectives.  Any time that there is a large figure or high cost figure they will tend to become targets of choice for your opponent.  Mobility could be an issue depending on how many officers are around.

I will end on the note that there is nothing quite like the feeling of seizing the opportunity to Overrun half of your enemies squad, even if you probably had a better tactical choice.

Hi!

I played this list on the local regional tournament and became 2nd

http://ia-armies.com/army/FWOl5S3Q

I replaced celebration with urgency.

Of course I had luck with played maps. But shooting 3 times in one round with ATST is pretty fine. Use one guard to defend the ATST and the other 3 to conquer objectives and both officers cowered behind ATST.

More a defensive play style list with lot of offensive shooting power.

BTW: I would not play an ATST without 1-2 Elite Officer

Edited by Lynyrd

Massive figures shouldn't be immune to conditions. You can cut a cable in the AT-ST wiring and stun him like that. 

If WW3 ever breaks out, and I end up facing a Russian armoured assault, I'll have to try that.

Sadly I am increasingly noticing how little the combat in this game owes to any half-believable alternative reality, not least the films that supposedly have inspired it. Shame, because I so wanted to like it.

Leia: "****, there's an AT-ST blocking our path."

Han: "Don't sweat it, sugar-cheeks! Watch this !" [signals to band of wookies to attack AT-AT with wire-cutters]

AT-ST zaps most of the wookies while they are still 20 feet away, and then stomps on the remainder.

Leia: "Yeah, that'd be why the Empire invests significant resources in making such machines, and why it took such great ingenuity to overcome them on Endor."

Edited by hismhs

Hi!

I played this list on the local regional tournament and became 2nd

http://ia-armies.com/army/FWOl5S3Q

I replaced celebration with urgency.

Of course I had luck with played maps. But shooting 3 times in one round with ATST is pretty fine. Use one guard to defend the ATST and the other 3 to conquer objectives and both officers cowered behind ATST.

I'm curious if you accidentally cheated since you mentioned the guards.  Protector only works on the squares directly adjacent to the Guard.  This makes it so it is actually only possible to give protector to the ATST if the guard is out in front of the ATST.

You can't have the guard in back and give protector when they're shooting it targeting the squares in front.

If you have a lone guard out in front of the ATST, it should be trivial to run up and kill that then focus down the ATST.  Especially if you're playing against sabs.

Use one guard to defend the ATST and the other 3 to conquer objectives and both officers cowered behind ATST.

Keep in mind protection from the royual guards onyl apply protection to adjacent spaces.

It's pretty sure most people will just target a space not adjacent to the royal guard to remove this buff.

Use one guard to defend the ATST and the other 3 to conquer objectives and both officers cowered behind ATST.

Keep in mind protection from the royual guards onyl apply protection to adjacent spaces.

It's pretty sure most people will just target a space not adjacent to the royal guard to remove this buff.

Hm. Never realised that. That makes C-3PO + Nexu a great deal worse.

Hm. Never realised that. That makes C-3PO + Nexu a great deal worse.

Yup thats when we discovered this flar with Guards and AT-ST's someone had a team build around 3P0 Han and Nexus.

I believe figures don't block line of sight to themselves as well, so you can almost always target a back row space and just require an additional range to hit the targetted space.

Not a fan of the basic AT-ST.

I found General Weiss extremely fun and useful though.

Came in 5th at my regional with him, and really could have made it further had I not made a dumb mistake in my second game.

For two more points, you lose awkward and gain so much more. You can choose whatever dice you want for your attack, so you don't need targeting computer. You can order other units to move. You get Blast 3.

Weiss was my dude for a long time.