Sign in to follow this  
Epixca

Cloaking Device

Is it not simply a case of it being a good option.

As in any other competitive medium, good is often overlooked in favour of 'best' but I do see some valid options for taking it. Most have been covered but the Moldy Crow in particular stands out due to its boosted greens not being naked and the pilot abilities still being in effect. As others have stated, any boost in survivability for a HWK is a good thing.

Forget competitive or not, I want to put Cloaking Device and Engine Upgrade on Torkil or Palob just because a HWK shouldn't be doing that sort of mad stuff.

"Good" doesn't really do it

"Consistent" is a better term

Adding RNG does nothing but make the upgrade unreliable.

I doubt it would've been top tier competitive without the stupid RNG, but it would have allowed for more fun builds such as stygium cobra

The RNG just takes away from its general viability, not just competitive

I don't know. In casual play I'm pretty sure I'll have fun with it and that it will be effective 'most' of the time. For that casual play I think it's alright.

Being effective most of the time isn't really enough for any level of competitive play though. As you say FGD, your in the lap of the gods. Same reason we see no use of the RNG style astromechs. I totally agree with you for the serious side of the game but I don't think that extends to casual myself.

Here's a thought then.

EPT 1pt (maybe even zero pts)

"Never tell me the odds"

When an upgrade card States to discard it upon a certain dice roll you may retain the upgrade.

Probably poorly worded.

Edited by kopmcginty

Well fun is subjective

Personally, however, I can't see the fun in an upgrade that randomly decides to not let you play it

Maybe it's for the masochists among us

Oh well, still going to have to try it. sh*tty RNG has turned this into a lost opportunity to make Cobra viable (would've been awesome but alas), but the misthunter and palob/MUX don't really need it to shore up their defenses and might get good use out of the mobility regardless

Edited by ficklegreendice

"Good" doesn't really do it

"Consistent" is a better term

Adding RNG does nothing but make the upgrade unreliable.

I doubt it would've been top tier competitive without the stupid RNG, but it would have allowed for more fun builds such as stygium cobra

The RNG just takes away from its general viability, not just competitive

Do you have a problem with other one-use upgrades?  It consistently gets you one powerful reposition. Most Illicits are similarly single use.  And this one might get you an additional use out of it.  Would it be better if the card just said discard after use like other illicit options, because I'm inclined to say no...

Like I said in my above post, I doubt it will be great but it will be good and it will be fun if one considers its real purpose: a chance to reposition in a janky way.  It is not and will not ever be equivalent to a TIE Phantom, even an nerfed TIE Phantom.  I don't dispute that.  I just definitely see its usefulness.  It's just as useful as Inertial Dampeners, which has been extremely popular in the circles where I play.

cloaking device is not one use, it's completely random

if it were one use, it'd be overpriced at 2

as it is, with potential to fizzle out at any time regardless of what you do, it's still overpriced

inertial are swanky at 1, cloaking would've been swanky at 1 with 1 use and we'd have less game swinging RNG to worry about

there's just no justifiable reason for this crap, uncontrollable drawback to be on this card

still not worth 2 points outside of, perhaps, very specific circumstance. the inconsistency kills it

and really, just why does it need to be a dice roll? Why couldn't it have been something controllable or dynamic (discard on overlap; discard on damage which at least lets you arc-dodge avoid obstacles etc)?

I thought we had moved past the era of lazy game design with the first batch of crap, dice-dependent astros and saboteur

It's honestly just baffling why the drawback is there, and why it's so clumsily shoehorned in. It adds nothing but frustration and highlights the wasted potential of an otherwise fascinating card

I do agree that 1 point may have been more viable, but I do find it odd that its eyeballs and not blanks, which are equal odds on red dice. One of few times a blank is a win, perhaps a future mechanic to negate the failure.