Sign in to follow this  
Philthulhu

Is it just me...

Or are (some of) the Micro Machines Star Wars range really **** close to X-Wing Mini scale?

I haven't compared past the eyeball-in-the-shops stage, and of course the quality isn't comparable, but... given the number of spare bases and cards you get in a box, might be a cheap-ass way to bump the Tie/FO or T-70 collection.

11B27CAF50569047F5099296450B5F9E.jpg

The x-wings are spot on i scale, but the details are less nice because of the soft plastic used. The original Micro Machine Tie is just  a little bit smaller than the X-wing Tie. You will need to find a way to make some dials, but I think they could be a good solution to little kids hands :)

I still have all my micro machine squadrons from bitd, but I can't bring myself to use them in X-wing. I sure had a lot of fun with the pseudo games of x-wing/tie fighter using them. I think I ended up with at least 18 x-wings and 12 each of TIEs, interceptors and advanced and at least 8 bombers, which were harder to find and lacked the bomb chute. I guess they could be TIE shuttle stand ins tho.

I'm not even gonna mention the capital ships other than having almost 20 ISDs alone. Kaybe toys was great before they went out of business.

Or are (some of) the Micro Machines Star Wars range really **** close to X-Wing Mini scale?

I haven't compared past the eyeball-in-the-shops stage, and of course the quality isn't comparable, but... given the number of spare bases and cards you get in a box, might be a cheap-ass way to bump the Tie/FO or T-70 collection.

11B27CAF50569047F5099296450B5F9E.jpg

Notice they put "Dogfight" in the name of the toy? Seems they were trying emulate X-Wing TMG.

I really wanna make debris fields out of these.

Some of them do scale up very well and with a quick removal of mould lines and a repaint look quite passable. Here's some of mine from the repaint thread;

An X-Wing with S foils closed;

image.jpg

And a Naboo starfighter;

image.jpg

Both even have holes underneath where you can fit them on FFG bases. There's were originally for micro machine displays I think. The TIEs, from what I've seen in the shops, appear to have stubbier and thicker wings so I'd probably only use them for debris.

Also, I don't think using the word dogfight is emulating FFG, it's simply the best description! Completely different market.

Edited by Sbloom141

I was having a look at the new Star Wars Micro Machines a couple weeks ago in a shop. The quality compared to the older Star Wars Micro Machines is awful.

I noticed that too. Even the originals has issues though, TIEs with completely straight or sometimes even sort straight wings were very hard to find.